The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..11..15..19..23..27..29~30~31 [Next]
EvanAndrews
View Profile
Regular user
California
128 Posts

Profile of EvanAndrews
LOL!!! The thing about the Raven is, IMO, it is overpriced. You can vanish a coin with an easier way, it has bad angles, and it is impractical because it takes so much set up time that if you were doing a gig (walkaround maybe...) and it broke, that would be the end of that for the rest of your time there. How would it look if you took a 20 minute break to readjust the thing and replace the broken part (if you can!)?
????.....Yeah
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
'it takes so much set up time that if you were doing a gig (walkaround maybe...) and it broke... '

This applies to almost all gaffs then. Most gaffs will break someday and there's no telling when. To each his own. Smile However, you're right about it being overpriced. It sits in my drawer.
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
IMO, it is overpriced, you can vanish a coin with an easier way

Really? You know an easier way to vanish a coin from a spectator's hand WITHOUT touching it? I'd like to see that. I haven't used my Raven in years but I fondly recall the amazing reactions I received with it. Remember, you're not just vanishing a coin. You're making it disappear under impossible conditions. And that's only one thing you can do with it.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
michael640
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of michael640
evanandrews, are you sure you actually have a Raven and not a knock-off version? I really cannot believe some of the things you've said about it!

"It has bad angles" ???? Excuse me, what planet are you from? It's only got bad angles if you regularly perform for dwarves or children! And in these scenarios you could just bend down and cut out the angle problem altogether!

"You can vanish a coin an easier way." True, but there are very few ways that vanish a coin cleaner then the Raven does!

"It's overpriced" ?? What? 25 English pounds? No, no, no, the Imakulate Ring (junk) Flite is over priced! Ray Kosby's (impossibly boring!) Card Magic is over priced!
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
Ok, as you see everyone has his own favourites and different opinions for the same effects. I also read very bad comments about some of my favourite effects from others but for me they are still my favourites.

Personally, I prefer to perform something which is impromptu or takes little time to set-up (almost impromptu. If there is something which I can do anytime with just my two hands, then it becomes a favourite for me. That's why I prefer books and videotapes/DVDs with sleights over spending money to take something that needs set-up and does not leave me clean.

I like to feel free without carrying gimmicks, body loads or anything like this. Of course if I perform a stage-manipulative act, then I agree that all the above is wrong. It depends on what kind of magic you perform. Even in mental magic I don't prefer boards, special props, etc. I prefer to use simple props.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
377 Posts

Profile of Bill
My vote is Psychokinetic Pen. What a piece of junk! You put it on the edge of something and you wait...and you wait...and you wait...then Plop. It falls off. I used it as a regular pen (so I'd at least get some value out of it) then threw it away. Smile
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
[quote]On 2003-02-21 19:20, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:
You guys are INSANE! The Svengali deck, in the right hands, can create miracles! One of the strongest effects that I do, which FRIES magicians, uses nothing more than a Svengali deck, and a lot of presentation.

Hear, hear! As over exposed as it is, you can fry people with a Svengali deck if it's handled properly.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2003-02-22 13:51, Michael640 wrote:
Ray Kosby's (impossibly boring!) Card Magic is over priced!

I love Ray's video and I still think the Raven is a piece of junk. Where is the first place a spectator checks when you vanish a coin? Yeah, right. In your sleeve. For some reason everyone in my city saw Street Magic Exposed.

As far as the Svengali Deck goes, I love it for the reactions you can get from it. When I was starting magic, the guy at the magic shop fooled me tons of times with it.

I was just thinking there was a trick sort of like Cosmosis but it was like a pencil that floated above a piece of paper. It looked really good. I would have gotten it if I found a use for it. Smile

Lee
cransom
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
7 Posts

Profile of cransom
Let's all remember that not all magic effects are made for the consummate professional. The guys at Expert Magic are just practicing plain old capitalism and making a buck. The average Joe is perfectly thrilled with most magic effects and we are probably the most critical of critics.

Think about Bill Gates and Windows software. It is full of bugs, crashes, and is generally accepted as a relatively poor product. It just so happens that he can market the product and create a huge mass appeal. We are the minority guys, not the general public. I for one, will support anyone who has the chutzpah to get their idea out there and be successful.

These are the people who keep us in business.
Smile
Clark Ransom
Wizards Magic Company
www.wizards-magic.com
"Put a Little Magic Back into Your Life!"
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Hey, you can do the Raven in short sleeves! =p
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
michael640
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of michael640
Actually cransom, we are the general public because we magicians buy the effects! We create the market! Yeah, a few laymen buy tricks now and then but they make up only about 5 percent of the total market for magic tricks!

I believe if you are marketing an effect you have a moral duty to put out something that you really believe is worthwhile and positive to the magic community! Otherwise you get a reputation like Expertmagic seems to have!

I personally HATE completely misleading advertising of magic tricks!
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Yeah, I never did The Raven with long sleeves (used the alternate hook-up). I always rolled my jacket sleeves up first. Seemed to add a level of mystery and impossibility to it.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
MY 2 cents:

Raven - great trick and it will always have a place in my junk drawer because the reset just take too long for me. Other than that, it is great.

Color Monte - Still one of the best packet tricks I have ever seen and do!

Color poker chips - Fun and visual but too long for reset and storage.

So having said all these good things, I should get back to the point of this thread.

WORST TRICK EVER:

I cannot even remember the name of it. It may have been "'Dime'and Ring."

This thing was so bad that we couldn't give it away from the magic store I worked at. The nickel looked so bad and you had to hold it in such an awkward position.

You were supposed to talk about how you put a nickel into one of those vending machines and you got a ring out of it. I can feel my eyes beginning to bleed just thinking about it. Oh man, the pain of this horrid trick.

Mat
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2003-02-22 11:45, ThorstenHappel wrote:

Thanks for your opinion, cardguy. I agree that Cosmosis might be "better" than the rip-offs.
There is no "might" about it. Unless you've used the orginal version, you shouldn't be judging it by the incredibly inferior knockoffs.

Quote:
And as I said, I never saw it performed.
Which is another reason you can't logically judge it.

Quote:
But I still think the idea is not worth $50.
These days you can buy Cosmosis new and complete for around $12. It hasn't been $50 since its initial release.

With Cosmosis, you can have the card signed and give the card away after you're finished.

Also, you can hand the card to someone with little or no fear that the gaff will be uncovered.

These are not features of the cheap knockoffs.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
EvanAndrews
View Profile
Regular user
California
128 Posts

Profile of EvanAndrews
I agree ith pyro_magic. The Raven is a piece of junk and Ray's video is very good...and I don't like cards much so....lol!
????.....Yeah
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Ball Vase (IMHO opinion this #1 dumb trick)
Spikes thru Quarter (A close second)
Silver Sanctum
UPC**
Karate Coin
Anything where the effect is mis-described,
over-priced, poorly made or a rip-off (such as you are paying for a piece of string and fishing line and a secret that is in any kid's magic book). We all have many examples of these items.

Finally, what I really hate is buying something that has been ripped-off from another magician and when I get the ripped-off version, I realize that I have the original and that the ripped-off is, at best, a slight handling modification.

Turk (:o(

** NOTE: this UPC is NOT Richard Busch's Ultimate Peek Case; it is a dumb "UPC" code card (like on groceries) that, when view at an acute angle, reveals the name of a forced card.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
Flip, thanks for your feedback.

On 2003-02-23 01:50, Flip wrote:

Quote:
And as I said, I never saw it performed...Which is another reason you can't logically judge it.

Sorry, Flip, but I think I have enough experience to judge without ever performing it.

Quote:
These days you can buy Cosmosis new and complete for around $12. It hasn't been $50 since its initial release.

You might be able to get it for $12 today, but I paid $50. And the price was part of my disappointment. If I had spend only $12 it would have been different. $50 was way to much.

Quote:
With Cosmosis, you can have the card signed and give the card away after you're finished.

Wait a minute...did I miss something? You have to tell me that version. Just send me a personal message, if you like.

Convince me!
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
I completely remade my Raven to overcome its shortcomings (the hookup is really fast and easy now), sadly, something I do a lot to magic effects. Sometimes it is so easy to improve on an effect you wonder why the maker didn't do it in the first place. Maybe it's a personal preference issue.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2003-02-23 13:23, ThorstenHappel wrote:

Sorry, Flip, but I think I have enough experience to judge without ever performing it.
If you haven't even given it a chance in actual performance, you have no cause to criticize it.

It's like saying a car doesn't handle well that you've never even taken the trouble to test drive. Smile

Quote:
You might be able to get it for $12 today, but I paid $50. And the price was part of my disappointment.
Hm, even back then, some actually tried the effect and felt that the $50 wasn't unfair.

Quote:
If I had spend only $12 it would have been different. $50 was way to much.
Hm, but you choose to never even give it a try? Even though you spent $50 on it?

Once again, it's tough (nearly impossible) to take your opinion seriously when it is based only on price.

Try performing it sometime properly and see what reaction you get.

Quote:
Quote:
Wait a minute ... did I miss something? You have to tell me that version. Just send me a personal message, if you like.
Um, it's in the directions of the currently marketed version. Plus a lot of other nice finesses.

Or if you want some really nice additional handlings, Harris sells a booklet for around $10 giving you such goodies as a way to do a 60 second hookup to manufacture new cards.

Originally, the handling of Cosmosis was to have someone select a card from the deck. They would sign the card, and the effect would be peformed. You even "flex" the card initially and the match doesn't rise. It only rises when you want it to.

Heck, you can even run a small hoop or ring completely over the match and it still floats. Once again, this handling is in the directions.

For those who haven't seen it, take a look at a video demo.

http://alakazam.co.uk/demo5.html

After, the card is given to the spectator as a souvenir.

The above routine and other ideas are available in the currently marketed effect.

You made the classic mistake of believing something was worthless based on it's method.

Quote:
Convince me!
You can convince yourself.

All you need to do is actually perform the effect rather than cavalierly dismissing it based on your disappointment with the method...
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Paris
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
140 Posts

Profile of Paris
My list would include Just Think and the mystery Box with a dollar bill. Looks too fake. The zippo lighter by Collectors Workshop bites as well. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..11..15..19..23..27..29~30~31 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL