The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » A trio of shuffles video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

papermechanic
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of papermechanic
This is a video of a few shuffles I have been working on. the last one I need to shorten. I feel its just a little bit lengthy. I took the sound out of the video, because my roommate and his girlfriend were talking about hallowween costumes while I was taping haha. again, as you guys know any criticism is more than welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzmZv5mLIC4
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
684 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
The handling seems a bit studied everytime you go to riffle for the cut. It contrast with the overall tempo of the sequence. Nice pad color, though.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1332 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Even though you fooled me with your shuffle I agree with Rawdawg 100%. I guess it's because you're stacking and therefore it must be some hesitation in the riffling. Papermechanic I'm sorry to be so hard on you but you know who's shuffling technique I'm comparing it to.

Respectfully,

Doc
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
Quote:
On 2007-10-30 22:21, rawdawg wrote:
...Nice pad color, though.

I laughed very hard when I read that!

You have the technique it's now just a matter of rythm and timing. The strips seem a bit exagerated to me...

Nice clip...
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Looks like he filmed it in his garage which is even funnier.
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
Stilts
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake
86 Posts

Profile of Stilts
I agree witht he comments above. Some more practice and you'll have a thing of beauty.

As an aside, whenever I see stacking demos online, the riffle shuffles are usually shown "up close" and we cannot see what the performer is looking at/doing. The reason I make this statement, is that when most card players can shuffle the deck without looking at it for long periods of time. Since the purpose of the shuffle is to mix the cards, there is not much studying of the deck during the riffle, other than to make sure you don't spray cards all over the table. IMHO, a dealer who has smooth mechanics and he/she can match that "smoothness" with their demeanor at the table (not studying the deck, having a devil may care attitude about the shuffle) the more disarming it will be and more likely to fly in a game.
Derrick
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
I know the old adage is "if you don't want them to look at your hands don't look at them yourself," but the majority of people look at the cards when they shuffle. It is natural.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15819 Posts

Profile of tommy
Looking at the cards while shuffling is natural enough, but so is not looking and far better not to in my opinion. The latter looks so much more tranquil as the former looks more tense. If I had a choice I would not look at the cards while shuffling.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RouJ
View Profile
New user
France
13 Posts

Profile of RouJ
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 20:01, tommy wrote:
Looking at the cards while shuffling is natural enough, but so is not looking and far better not to in my opinion. The latter looks so much more tranquil as the former looks more tense. If I had a choice I would not look at the cards while shuffling.

As always it depends on the playing conditions. But not looking at the cards whilst shuffling let you look at your opponents. Thus you may distract the one who is looking at you (there are always guys not very funny to play with).
On the other hand, looking at the cards seems good to me as you don't appear too professional.
So do both.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
684 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Juan Tamariz has some pretty good choreography involving looking/not looking at the deck whilst shuffling.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Quote:
On 2007-11-02 19:08, rawdawg wrote:
Juan Tamariz has some pretty good choreography involving looking/not looking at the deck whilst shuffling.

When are you getting to town again diggity-dawg? Seems like everyone and their brother is out here anymore.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
684 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
I will be around at the beginning of the year for the AVN show and possibly for the Magic Marketplace convention. I've been dying to get back to Hooter's for some poker. Those people couldn't play their way out of a doggy bag of mild Hooter wings. Hey, you'll be old enough next year for us to go find something stronger to drink than 2% chocolate milk, right?

xoxo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » A trio of shuffles video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL