The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professors Nightmare...whoa (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
AArgh!! Cant see it.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Quote:
On 2007-11-06 20:11, Al Angello wrote:
Actually Robert I plan to make it part of my SAM4 stage competition this year. Last year I came in third, and this year I plan on doing better.

I'm sure that's the right place for it, Al. Good luck.
Jolyon Jenkins
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Turk (Mike)and Robert Jenkins
Mickey and I are friends of Steve Dusheck so any friend of Steve's is a friend of mine. We have been PMing and he is on the right track, but I want to thank both you for the compliments.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2007-11-06 17:47, MickeyPainless wrote:
I've never done any rope tricks however this one has created a desire to learn a few! Any suggestions where to start guys?
Thanks in advance!
Mick

Daryl's 3 DVD set is good, but you may want to start out less expensively with Fulves Self working Rope Magic, or the Encyclopedia of Rope (which is very extensive). These two have a good amount of ring and rope methods, and Sefalajia methods (think Dean's Box) as well. If you want finger ring and rope (or better string), Greg Wilson's Ring Leader is quite good.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hi John
It is good to know that we all agree on where to start. I said Daryl, and Karl Fulves too.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Thank you all!
As Al mentioned, we've been shooting PM's back and forth and I have been burning the midnight oil reading all the past posts in this section.
I got a PN download and Scott Guinn's Ring on Rope and I'm waiting for a surprise in the mail. I plan to order Daryl's 3 DVD set, Fulves and the Encyclopedia to add to my library. I even dug out my old Mark Wilson book for the C&R's.
Being a huge Dusheck fan I'm a tinkerer and gaff nut as well so I've already made some "funny" ropes and knots and I've filled pages with ideas that may become something someday!
I'm having fun and that's what it's all about to me!
Mick
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 15:10, magicians wrote:
Hey Bob, You shoulda watched my lecture when you were in Tampa. That's how I open my lecture. Been doing that effect since the mid-seventies and it's my hook for the rest of the lecture.
If anyone has a club, I have my 30th anniversary lecture tour booking now thru 2008. 30 years of "Gotcha effects".
-Magic Ian
aka
Ian Sutz
stage name Ian Garrison
goto: http://www.Magicians.tv to see more segments from the show and lecture.
----Ian

Hello Ian,

Apologies are due. I'm sorry that I've been so slow getting back to this thread.

Certainly I should have seen your lecture when I was in Tampa. You know that I'm sorry I missed it. At least we got to have supper together. That was the last time I'll be in New Orleans first on the way.

New Orleans is only history now for entertainers. (Mardi Gras in Mobile is as close as it gets.) Tampa can get more of my time now. I do the RedNeck Riviera in January and February. It's time to scheme! (I'll trade you a lecture in Tampa for one in Birmingham.)

And don't tell Andy and Al that we did magic in the 70s. I almost have them believing that I'm young and new to all this. Keep it up and I'll tell him that you invented rope!

I'm sending you a PM.

You really know how to hurt a guy's feelings with three little pieces of rope! (Now I'll have to change my avatar.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Darn, I want to see it, but with my sloooow dialup, I can't. However, having bought some of Ian's effects in the past I am sure it is great, and after reading these reactions I would not hesitate to buy it without even seeing it. In fact, I am going to try and find out how to order it. Can anyone purchase it? Or do you have to get it after attending a lecture?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Regan,

Send Ian an email at magicianS@aol.com
and he will accomodate you.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 17:28, Andre Hagen wrote:
Regan,

Send Ian an email at magicianS@aol.com
and he will accomodate you.

Andy

http://www.tricks.ws look for lecture link or:
http://bigduck.tripod.com/lecture.html
Probably 3-5 minutes by dialup.
-Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
By the way, Andy..
Thanks for the support and thanks for the kind words Regan. You guys validate my work. It is heartening to have the reactions like this for something I did almost 25 years ago. (still doin it).
You might like this: I posted some old stuff on aol and youtube recently and saw some really raw footage of my first TV show showing the coin in balloon.
http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/bcd7586......1e27a026
(regan should go to the library to watch it on broadband).
-Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Ian,

I'm working on your coin in balloon, and your hookup for the Haunted Pack is outstanding. Really like your finesse on the cut-and-restored rope.

Never got so much for so little from a single order!

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
If you get Ian's lecture on DVD you are not going to be sorry. It is worth every penny. Now if you like his Professor's nightmare and how that ends wait till you see how he continues the routine using a change bag and a volunteer. I've seen Ian lecture 3 times, once at my house, and he has something new and different every time. Plus he is a great guy.

Chris
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Thanks Ian, this has been great fun already. One of those "head slappers". The Prof. Nightmare has been so oversold here at the local renfest that it seemed everyone knew it. I am having great fun with yours already. I'm already hearing..."I knew they sold my kid the amateur version!" I already do a version of Sanders/Tabary combined but this will be great when I get called out for a quickie(magic). Especially when someone says "Cmon John, do that rope trick my kid does"..chuckle chuckle.

For some of the kids out there that are really interested in magic and know a few tricks, this is a great inspirational one (performance only) to convince them to keep learning. I feel like a kid again when I come across a discovery like this.

My uncle was a magician and would show me how to do the most simple parts of his effects given my interest in magic. He would then send me on to books to learn the rest. Only after I had exhausted my searching (whilst learning many incredible things along the way) would he reveal the real deal to me. This trick brings back that nostalgia.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:

For some of the kids out there that are really interested in magic and know a few tricks, this is a great inspirational one (performance only) to convince them to keep learning. I feel like a kid again when I come across a discovery like this.

I am not very skilled, and I have just taken a different slant on performing the classics. My entire lecture (the "gotcha" lecture), is based on taking down the old timers and the know-it-alls who take a lot for granted.
I had some "reputation makers" like that when I started out, which gave me my taste for "magicians blood". I went to National conventions and did the "steel ball and tube" and was selling the trick to people who actually owned it and thought mine was somehow different. I had the book Magic w/a steel ball and tube:

http://bigduck.tripod.com/id5.html#tube

and sold the effect and the booklet. The book had a solid deception routine in it (before the "Kennedy Version", plus impossible steals and handouts and methods that didn't use the gimmick.
I show the ring and spring in the lecture (actually give the entire audience a set), then proceed to fool them with an imperceptible move and of course the magicians twist.
I live to hear "***, and wow, and son of a ----- from an audience of magicians. I am getting such a kick from comments like yours and others, and I'm just getting started. Thanks for the kind words. More to come.
-Magic Ian
accolombel
View Profile
New user
seattle
82 Posts

Profile of accolombel
Ian, I have ordered and got the download for your PN. Very good, I perform the traditional PN as a kids routine(with patter about good manners) and was looking for some way to perform it for a non-child audience. With the right patter this will work out well.
Great effect and thanks for sharing.

Craig
craig colombel
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Ian speaks the truth about his ball and tube!

Rope tricks aside, if you think you know the ball and tube trick, but haven't seen Ians work with it....You haven't seen the ball and tube trick. It's a simple prop that a lot of us dismiss as simple. But Ian's routine will seriously hurt your feelings (AKA - fool you very badly). Highly recommended!

Lyndel
jdknight
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jdknight
I bought Ian's PN and Love it! A lot of impact for a small price! And simple too!
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Just watched the video, pretty cool, wouldn't do this for laymen much but really looks like fun pulling on magicians!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Just did a lecture for Laymen. It works great for any audience. The impact is the same for the lay audience. It's your mindset, that it may not be enough. From the lay perspective, they are just as amazed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professors Nightmare...whoa (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL