The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I take an empty carton of eggs and cut it in half (1/2 dozen size) to use for carrying the gimmick and a couple of eggs. Putting it all in a plastic bag like you get at the grocery store to protect your props doesn't hurt either if one of the eggs does break. I always bring an extra spare egg or two just in case one breaks.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
I'll be releasing my version of Silk To Egg on DVD in the months to come. On the DVD I go over every aspect of the routine...including transport!

Here is what I personally use to carry eggs to shows...never had a broken egg!

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-812A-Hike......1&sr=8-5

These can also be found at Wal-Mart in the camping section for around $3.00. They will hold your real egg, back up real egg, gimmicked egg, and silks all in one nice carrying case.

Hope this info helps!

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I've just finished on Thursday a 15 min Promo show for 350 Girls at my daughter's High school. The finale was of course "Silk To Egg".
Needless to say as we all know who perfrom it - The response was Huge as were many nice comments after the event.

The more you perform this the more you fine tune the routine & it always gets the response that is real magic.

One comment I was given by a student was-
Everything she ever believed in was shattered when I broke the Egg...

It just couldn't be possible that happened!!!

I may even move the effect to Nos 2 in my cabaret/corporate show as my first talking effect after Music Intro etc. - Powerful stuff this effect..

Cheers
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Just wondering what are your opinions regarding "Sucker" type effects, like silk to egg? Do audiences think we are insulting their intelligence?

From the posts here I can see that this isn't a problem, but still wanted to hear your thoughts.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I use this effect normally at the beginning 1 or 2 spot in my shows of 30-40 mins etc but for smaller events like this-

Tues night I worked the Local Classic Comedy Club here with some great other acts in a comedy magic show we've done over the last 5 weeks which was filmed

My finale after numerous gags & a bit of geek Razorblade magic was-

"Silk To Egg"-

Great finish-lots of comedy & ended the 12 min spot well with laughter & good applause.....

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is still the audience killer!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 03:41, yin_howe wrote:
Just wondering what are your opinions regarding "Sucker" type effects, like silk to egg? Do audiences think we are insulting their intelligence?

Not sure that this is entirely a "sucker" effect, as the explanation you give them for the first phase is, indeed, the true method. You just don't tell them that you're shifting methods. The audience wants to be baffled (why else would they be at a magic show?), so there's no reason they should feel insulted by the second phase. The overall approach of setting expectations and then adding a twist is common to all forms of entertainment, including movies, novels, etc.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I agree! It is a surprise but it should not be an insult to those there to be entertained.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
After reading about this effect and seeing magicians do it, I've decided to put away the big props and go with the tried and true. This way I won't end up with egg on my face! lol
Life of Magic!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One of life's mysteries is how you can have $20,000 worth of props on stage and what the audience remembers is the ten cent egg!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2011-03-22 08:13, Bob Sanders wrote:
One of life's mysteries is how you can have $20,000 worth of props on stage and what the audience remembers is the ten cent egg!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander

Agree with Bob so much-After hundreds of shows using this. It just works. From 50- 1500 people, it's never failed because audiences are usually dead quiet as they are learning a secret! And this concentration I think helps the ending as it's a total surprise, which works to our advantage ... dead silence to laughing & Applause...

As a professional Worker - I can't say enough about this effect If presented properly.

Brent
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is the effect I wish I had invented.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
SSG
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of SSG
I say amen. This is a great trick.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As usual, again this week a pro told me that with thousands of dollars worth of props on stage, he still gets asked about that dime egg instead!

Audiences understand that they don't understand it but can't believe that it is a trick.

It's Magic!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Another full stage show night at a convention center when what they ask about is the EGG! (Forget the doves, full stage productions, live orchestra, etc.)

After this show, the facilities staff offered to wash the glass so they could inspect the egg. LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- After the show a member of the audience told me the came to this show because the saw my show six years ago and wanted to see the egg trick again! They simply don't remember the big expensive stuff.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You surprised me!

I just read this in another thread and topic:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=109&20

I'm very flattered.

Thank you so much.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Bob-

Great to Hear a familiar story again & again....I know too well what you mean!

As you know I work the corporate market here mainly Restaurants Hotels & theatres and I get asked about the Silk to egg all the time...literally hundreds of performances-never fails!!

I eventually analysed my 45-60 min show after speaking to Whit Haydn 1 night here and moved the silk to egg due to its strength to my first talking effect after my opening music intro of 3-4 mins of magic then a few tried tested welcomes & gags to get some good laughs..

This followed by Silk to Egg has changed the whole structure of the show & gets me off to great start with the audience & the rest of the show just flows better & better....

Brent
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Brent,

To savvy audiences, Silk to Egg is real magic every time they see it. (It is a frequently requested "Greatest Hit".)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Silk to Egg is also one of the tricks in magic with the most international appeal.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Heres a Pic of me last week Performing Silk to Egg at a series of corporate Events
I have been doing in Dec-
at a fabulous Venue-Villa Maria Winery Estate here in Auckland.

First talking effect I use after Music opening of magic about 4 mins then into this effect...
Great way to have some fun plus a bit of Wow Factor with the audience...

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL