The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Looking good there Brent, your jacket matches the decor Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
EGAD!!! A FIVE PAGE THREAD!!!
What can I possibly say to add to this? Well, Stuart Ross, my first mentor,taught me the original Tarbell routine in 1946. I used it for about 15 years. (only broke one egg in pocket in 15 years!)

When I started doing schools for the assembly bureaus, I dropped it, but I sure missed it! Then,about 20 years ago Karrell Fox and I got into a discussion about it. He had some ideas that eliminated the switch! I made a few small changes to fit the way I work, and used it the following season. It was always GREAT, now it was even GREATER!

Incidentally, in 1955, I bought from Harold Sterling, four hollow eggs with hole. They were real eggs with some sort of plastic lining. After 50+ years, I only have one left. (Good thing I'm retired!)

Milbourne Christopher wrote in Linking Ring in the 40s that on a cruise ship, he could only get brown eggs. He said he used pancake make up on the egg! I remember a few more anecdotes like that, but in the interest of space,I'll self edit!

For those first 15 years the egg was my closer. It never failed to get a big oooh! a big laugh, AND a big mitt!

Your walk around egg sounds intriguing. In 1950, I bought from George McAthy a CONLEY NO SWITCH EGG. It was a brass egg with a section for the silk (12") and a section for clear detergent--which simulated a real egg white--even had an orange balsa wood yolk! As soon as I was out of the Navy and had pockets again, I reverted to the old way.

I've enjoyed reading down this thread. The various comments were interesting. Especially appreciated the comments and advice of the honorable Robert Sanders. Bob: "An egg is a whole days work for a hen--you sure have gotten 'them there' hens busy!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
After all this time Silk to Egg is the killer for the week again. Don't leave home without it!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
My current favorite versions of this effect are Pop Haydn's (his teaching routine is a classic interpretation) and Cody S. Fisher's Silk 2 Egg for its kicker ending. Beautiful routines with beautiful results. Bob Sander's handling is equally classic and his connection to 20th Century Silks in his I Don't Do Blue Material is terrific routining.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1653 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 18:03, Bob Sanders wrote:
After all this time Silk to Egg is the killer for the week again. Don't leave home without it!

As I've mentioned a few times in this thread.. (sorry) agree with Bob...

Pic below is Performing my favourite opening effect at the Comedy Club..

Click here to view attached image.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 22:38, Motley Mage wrote:
My current favorite versions of this effect are Pop Haydn's (his teaching routine is a classic interpretation) and Cody S. Fisher's Silk 2 Egg for its kicker ending. Beautiful routines with beautiful results. Bob Sander's handling is equally classic and his connection to 20th Century Silks in his I Don't Do Blue Material is terrific routining.

If its good enough for them , it is good enough for me.
Packs small. Plays big.
Perhaps the ultimate. " let me explain how this trick works" routine.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1653 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2013-08-23 01:58, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 22:38, Motley Mage wrote:

If it's good enough for them , it is good enough for me.
Packs small. Plays big.
Perhaps the ultimate. " let me explain how this trick works" routine.

jcrabtree-
agreed-it's a working performers routine..
cliffd
View Profile
New user
Colorado
21 Posts

Profile of cliffd
I just received mine from Bob Sanders and it looks and feels amazing. He shipped it really quickly too! Smile I'm excited about starting my journey with this awesome effect.
theconjuror
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of theconjuror
I've seen this before but the magician I've seen do it has the added extra of having silk colored yolks. I have no idea how he does it...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This week I use Orange silk for Halloween. Perhaps a ghost silk would be even better.
Bob Sanders

Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I'd like too figure out how to do a "Six-foot silk to Ostrich Egg" bit for a Magic Convention.

ONLY Magicians would find that to be humorous!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Too bad we lost Magic Ian July 4th. He could do that.
Bob Sanders

Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Rainboguy- There's an ostrich farm just outside of Tucson; if you need an egg, I might be able to help you get one.

But I also want to chime in on the silk to egg effect.

Many thanks to Bob Sanders for putting out such an excellent product. I bought this from Bob a while back and just used it for the first time tonight- other than practice on family and friends- in a children's birthday party show as my closer. They loved it!

I love it too! What a fun effect to perform. In practice I used the walkaround egg and people are just convinced you've handed them a real egg.

Tonight I used a real egg and it was great. I did a close up children's show and this was easy to do. Lots of fun and a wonderful product! Thanks Bob! Smile

The silks that came with it seem higher quality than what I'm used to as well. Another plus.

Highly recommended.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Wow! Thank you for the kind words.

Silk and eggs make for great magic.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1653 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Heres a close up version I do in the malls last week-
I combine the silk to egg with a signed $50 note appearance that vanished earlier..
Plays really big to close up crowds..
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Great Idea!
Bob Sanders

DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
I believe that if you opened with Silk to Egg and closed with T&R Newspaper, you could do 30 minutes of f@rt jokes in between and the audience will talk about the great show.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
That'd be a gas!
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
148 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
It is really nice idea to use S2E for walk around. I just want to make quick observation that a real white egg when painted(covered) with "FEVICOL" & dried keeps the egg strong. As Mr. Bob Sanders rightly said if you freeze the egg so prepared you can walk around with it for 4 hrs easily. I hope you try it out. Regards, Raj.
heybobby08
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
54 Posts

Profile of heybobby08
I just performed this trick for my fiance this past weekend while preparing breakfast. I wasn't sure how well it went until I got a genuine "shut the front door!" from her when I when I pulled off the sticker. Glad to see there are so many others out there that still enjoy this one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL