The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I've never found a reason to apologize for real egg behaving like a real egg. (And I keep a napkin handy for accidents.) For those of you who know me, I go through several dozens of real eggs a week. They have to be the world's cheapest consumable magic prop. (It makes card work expensive!)

There are a couple of suggestions from my silk lectures (that include Silk to Egg).

1. When using real eggs in magic, always take them out of the refrigerator the night before showtime. It improves the appearance. (The visible thin spots on the shell go away and the egg is simply prettier.) Equally important, the egg cracks with more control! (Ask a real chef for help! They don't use cold eggs.) Americans use cold "fresh" eggs because they are months old when they get to market. Eggs are kept cold in long term storage until sold.

2. My Walk-Around version of Silk to Egg allows the volunteer to actually hold a cold egg and gives you an "out" for not cracking it. (It becomes something else.)

If you do magic for children or drunks, I can't believe the occasional messy egg bothers you. LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tombola
View Profile
New user
Gothenburg, Sweden
51 Posts

Profile of tombola
So many good tips in just one day!

Thank you for spending time on helping me.

Spellbinder, your tips could give the trick lots of different effects, along with getting rid off the messy problem.

RJE, I don't know what an OLEC is, but snowstorm is an option.

Mr Chayce, lots of useful practical tips. I often use a beer glass (thats what fits my personality!) and I will experiment with glasses with wider mouth and a stem. But perhaps the most important thing for me is to practice cracking eggs with one hand.

Mr Sanders, I will try eggs that have been out of the fridge for a night, but I don't know what visible thin spots you talk about. Oh, and I will try to get the audience more drunk.

I don't know what you mean by "It becomes something else". I've read only good things about your product, but I can't recall a transformation. Maybe I have misunderstood completely?

Tons of thanks and pardon my spelling.

Tom.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tom,

In Sweden, don't you have brown eggs? Most people don't know that the props are available for both brown and white eggs.

Currently, we are working on tour for over there for 2010. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to meet and chat.

Enjoy your egg magic. It kills!

Bob
Magic By Sander

PS --- OLEC is Orange, Lemon, Egg and Canary (Production order)
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tombola
View Profile
New user
Gothenburg, Sweden
51 Posts

Profile of tombola
Thanks again, mr Sanders.

We have mostly white eggs in Sweden. It would be nice to catch a lecture with you.

Tom.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Bob

Great information, but I couldn't find silk to egg on your website. In fact, I couldn't find any products for sale on your site. Is there a different site than the one in your posts?

thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
John,

Thank you for looking but I don't maintain a website for DoveLite Silk. We are not retailers. We are the importers.

I'll PM you.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks Bob, I got the information.

Posted: May 9, 2009 10:34am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like peoples thoughts on whether the sucker silk to egg effect would be a good closer or not (for a parlor/stage show).

I like the effect, but it seems that the audience's reaction might be more along the lines of "Huh!" (with a turning of the head) instead of "wow!"; sorry for the technical terms.

As such, it would be better suited as an opening effect, getting peoples attention, and preping people for what is to come. The "wow" response is what I think I would want for the closer, and would be more likely with a production, or something physcially big and impressive on stage?

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Thanks;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The ideal finale is to produce the chicken that laid the egg, thus answering the age old question of which came first. Of course, there's always Grant's old Chicken Egg Bag, but the modern versions aren't as funny looking and nothing beats producing a real live squawking feather flying chicken for a grand finale. Good luck and watch your eyes and fingers.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Yes, I saw a video clip of Lance Burton doing that. His routine was cute, because of the kids, but it did not seem overly "magical".
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Whether or not S2E makes for a good closer is really dependent on: (1) what comes before it; and (2) your presentation. That said, I've never used it as a closer, but I have occasionally used it as a stand-alone piece.

It has a terrific climax and the plot can make for some good theatre.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
John,

Today, I used sucker Silk to Egg combined with 20th Century Silk as my closer in a Founders' Day and an Auto Show. Having the real egg produced and then having the volunteer produce the "missing" silk tied between the other two she held from the beginning made a great ending. The volunteers are so surprised that they really lead the audience for you. (And they clap at the right place!)

My answer is YES!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
I love silk to egg
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Many times I have used this effect in conjunction with 'baking a cake' -- I have all the ingredients but have forgotten the eggs. So, I take or produce a silk, change it into an egg and break it into the 'hat' or whatever I am using. On the 4th of July, I used red, white and blue silks and got eggs of the same color -- and then the cake was striped too.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
SSG
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of SSG
Agreed.

Egg trick. T&R newspaper. Cut and restored rope. They always get the biggest reactions. Like the man said, do something extraordinary with the ordinary, not vice versa.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I'm spending a lot of time in France now and until the end of August doing Silk to Egg.

Here they are even more surprised because the eggs are brown and that is no special problem with the right props. (Even magicians are surprised. They have never seen the good ceramic gimmick for brown eggs.)

By the time I leave Paris, I'm sure there will be plenty of them hard at work.

I really like using the brown one because it can't flash. Since it will also hold six 2" sponge balls or a full 24" silk, it works double duty.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Where are you working in France, Bob? I'm headed to London in December to do a few shows and would love to hop into Paris or somewhere in that vicinity as well, but I haven't been able to give my publicist much in the way of contacts over there because I'm unfamiliar with the area.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Currently I'm near Moncontour. Tonight's show was a private affair for essentially British investors in France. I don't think an agent would be any help on that one.

My corporate and contacts as a graduate business professor have been the most valuable here. (There are also some publishing projects in the works.)

For someone without that existing network, I am not much help. However, I would think an agent here would be much more effective here than one in the USA.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Silk to Egg killed tonight here too! Do remember that eggs here are brown.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
Just my two cents on using Silk To Egg as a good closer...I always close with it. I can't follow it. It's perfect. I really liked Bob's idea using it in conjunction with 20th Century also. I think that was three cents.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Now that we are back in the States, I'll have to admit that I haven't performed this since last night! Lucy and I did a theater show with the works and the very first comment I heard after the show was about the real egg! Paying audiences love it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 02:33, gician wrote:
Just my two cents on using Silk To Egg as a good closer...I always close with it. I can't follow it. It's perfect. I really liked Bob's idea using it in conjunction with 20th Century also. I think that was three cents.

In 2010, we will start offering the Walk-around Silk to Egg set in combination with a 20th Century set and it will save you the costs of the duplicate silks. They will also be available with the 24" professional size 20th Century Silks until the 24" size in inventory are gone. The colors available are really good. There are not enough to offer to magic shops. Sorry!

Happy New Year!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Catch me in a lecture and ask me how to combine this with Knots-Off Silk for a longer routine. It flows well and really packs small.

Quote:
On 2007-12-21 05:30, KPPfeiffer wrote:
Magicians might find this trick old, but the laymen reaction is always great! And that is what counts for a pro. But it's not only the trick itself, but the presentation!
I was hired on a cruise and they didn't allow me to bring eggs on the ship. Security, security! On the ship they had only -brown eggs. I was prepared. I brought some paint! Since it is more and more difficult to obtain white eggs, the paint works very good. I prefer white eggs BTW, because of contrast and better visibility.

I use brown eggs when I can. They are available from us! It's about all they use in Europe. (They are also much less likely to flash.)

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL