The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Back of Business Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
In re-designing my business cards, I'd like to put something on the back. What's best? I've heard of coupons, games, optical illusions. I would think you want something that moves the customer to book you, such as a coupon. Or, maybe it's better to put your usp on front, then have all your contact info on back? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I actually prefer the back to be blank so that I can perform a quick effect with the business card.

Lyndel
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Kyle Peron (aka Magic4U02) offers a list of ideas in this post.

Dennis Michael offers a list of ideas in this post.

For my last business card, I had a couple of customer testimonials on the back, along with a photo of kids laughing, taken at my show.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My business card is high quality stock, with a color picture of me, my name, phone number, web address, and email address on the front, and on the back I put the rest of my vital information. Why would you pay good money for a business card, and only use one side of it? Both sides of the card should be all about you, you, you. A cute trick will never get you a booking.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
For an individual: do a trick with it (a simple sleight) and maybe mark a prediction on it (helping ensure that it will be kept, remembered, shown around)

For groups who have seen you: stamp "$25 (or whatever) discount with this card" on the back in red and tell them how special they are to get this deal handed to them personally by you.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This is the post I did a while back relating directlyto this subject. I decided to post it here incase peopledid not want to click the link above etc. I hope you find it helpful to you.

This is something that I had posted a while back, but I thought it related really well to the topic at hand, and so I thought I would share some of the ideas here in hopes that it may help someone who is thinking about designing cards.

There are really 2 approaches to take with a business card. There is a branded calling card approach, and there is also a "business" card approach. I have done both for myself, as well as designed both for magic clients of mine. Both are different and do different things for you. The choice is really up to the individual and what he or she wants to get out of the card.

So, one thing you have to determine is if you want your card to be a true "calling card" or more "business" card. There is a difference between the two, and they both can work for you. It really is a matter of personal preference and what you want your card to do for you.

A calling card is mainly a continuation of your brand message and brand identity as carried across all forms of your marketing. It may have your logo identity on it, as well as your various contact information, website, phone number, etc.

A business style card is one that will have this information on it but will actually work as a way to generate business for you. It becomes more of a marketing vehicle and might include using the back of the card in some sort of way to give the person an incentive to take action to call you, go to your website, etc.

Also, business cards do more than convey the information that's printed on the card. A card that's ugly, dirty, printed on perforated paper, or full of corrections screams loud and clear that you're an amateur. No matter how many wonderful services you offer, if your card brands you as unprofessional, you lose business. A clean, creative, professionally printed, and visually attractive card on the other hand, conveys a positive first impression that lingers long after your initial meeting.

Still, a savvy businessperson knows that adding your unique marketing-oriented text to a business card, in addition to contact information, pays off.

One strategy is to add text that gives your unique, specific customer benefits.

For example:

1) Easy to PAY "Credit Cards Accepted"
2) Easy to get AHOLD of "Requests handled within 24hrs."
3) Easy to get ADVICE or INFO "Use our simple Information form."
4) "Present or mention this card for a free magic trick."
5) "Receive your first show at 25% off by requesting a promo kit."
6) "Log onto kyleandkellymagic.com for current discount coupons!"
7) "Free upgrade to our deluxe package by mentioning the number on this card."
8) The back of the card can be a useful calendar.
9) Survey, redeemable for a free gift - could direct them to a web page survey, where they fill it out and get a free gift or discount.
10) Punch card for frequent clients - acts as a referral rewards system.
11) A fun optical illusion, magic trick, or question where they can be directed to your website for more like it or for the answers.
12) A calendar of your upcoming public performances.
13) The card could be a magnet to be used and seen on the fridge by the prospect.
14) Could have a listing of most common measurement conversion chart - gives them a reason to hold onto it for their use.
15) A list of your top 5 tips for a successful event.

There are many more, but I will leave it at this for now. These are all methods of being able to make your business card work for you.

Keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with having your card be just a "calling card". If you have other marketing materials that have a call to action that you use, then a calling card may not be a bad way to go as it is a continuation of your brand identity. However, you could have your business card doing double duty by not only listing your contact information, but by having an effective call to action as well.

No matter which direction you go in, always remember that your business card is a direct representation of what you do, what you are about, and the services you provide. Do not settle for second best or for a card that looks "cheap". A professional and high-quality card will say a lot about your services long before they even begin to read it. Make your card work for you.

It is hard this day and age to get folks to understand that the first impression you often ever make on a prospect is in the materials you send out to them. If this is the case, why wouldn't you want these materials to be designed in the best way possible?

Too many folks have PCs and desktop publishing software. It is too easy to create artwork and get them done up that everyone thinks they can do it. What they forget to realize is that graphic design and communications through graphical means is a learned skill, and one that takes a long time to understand and to do well.

I take pride in the fact that I spent 5 years in art school getting a double degree in graphic design and illustration. Those hard 5 years were spent studying, learning, and applying design ideas and principles to give me the knowledge I need to design print material that communicates the message of my clients the best that it can. Design is not about making something look pretty. There is so much more to it than that.

This is why I take pride in the designs I create for my clients. It is a process where I really find out what makes the person, service, or business unique, and then create graphics that communicate this message clearly to his or her marketplace.

In this ever-growing world of technology and the Internet, there are even more ways of getting business cards and other materials printed for your promotional needs. With the advent of the World Wide Web, there has also been a huge growth in online printers who can print your materials at a fraction of the cost of offset printing.

However, it is very important to know that not every online printing place is the same. This is why, as a designer, I can not stress the importance of always doing your homework upfront before going with any online printer.

Always ask for samples to be mailed to you. If they say they only have samples online, then move on elsewhere. You need to have real samples on the paper they print on. Seeing the product in your hands will be the only way for you to really understand the quality you will be getting and can expect from them. If they are a legit and professional business, they will have no problem with your request.

Another thing you will want to keep in mind is that you can and should ask for a proof. A proof is what they run off for you after they have set up your card for printing. This way you can see exactly what it will look like, and it is your way of fixing any problems before you are stuck with thousands of cards that are not right. Spend the extra money to have a proof done.

Now, sometimes they offer you online PDF proofing. This is OK ONLY if you want to proof the type and text and make sure the elements are where they need to be. However, a PDF proof is NOT an accurate display of actual color and quality of the color being printed. For this, you would need a live proof sent to you via mail. This is the best way to make sure the color is exactly what you want it to be.

Once you sign off on a proof, you are telling the printer you are OK with what they have. If there are any mistakes on the printing, and you did not catch it on the proof, then you are stuck with them. Make sure to take your time examining the proof thoroughly before signing off.

If there is a mistake that was not on the proof, then this clearly means that they messed up. The proof then becomes your proof to them that what they printed is not what you approved. This is the value of a proof and why I always request them. Yes, they probably will charge you for a proof, but it is money well spent.

Another topic I would like to mention is to find out what exact process they use when they do their printing. There are so many types of digital printing these days, and they all produce vastly different results. Find out ahead of time by reading their site or asking a question to them.

You will want to do this anyways, because you will need to be sure to find out all the details on file submission. This is a key area. A lot of mistakes on cards coming out wrong can be from the customer uploading a file that is not set up properly. Find out exactly what size they need the cards to be. Find out if they need you to add room for bleed objects. Find out what format they need it in (CMYK or RGB). Find out what format they need it saved as (.JPG / .EPS) or others. All of this information is critical for you getting exactly the card you want as an end result.

I hope this information is of help to some of you. If anyone has any questions pertaining to anything I covered, please let me know. It would be my pleasure to help you and give advice if I can. My pleasure.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Back of Business Card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL