The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Marvelpiece! - by Tom Stone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
744 Posts

Profile of TStone
For those who enjoy these things - a new ebook has been released at:
http://shop.tomstone.se
Anders Moden
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Anders Moden
YES! Another one!

I read the "Helena of the East" routine and laughed and laughed. A small bit in the book, but one that probably prolonged my life quite a bit... Wish I was not so good looking, I'd be doing it myself Smile

Thanks Tom!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5370 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Marvelpiece!
Written & Illustrated by Tom Stone
12 pages (e-book format)
Copyright 2007 (Tom Stone)
http://shop.tomstone.se

Marvelpiece!, Tom’s sixth release this year, is another intriguing collection of routines – both finished, and unfinished – which successfully showcase a clever sense of humor and the enviable ingenuity of Stone’s exquisitely unique mind. Each routine is like a conversation, or inter-active session, requiring thoughts and statements to be more fully explored by the reader. Yes, dear reader, you will be encouraged throughout the process to think for yourself (this is the part where many will run away screaming while the rest of us race to the web site to place our orders). Even the more “finished” items in the book pose unanswered questions, and suggest alternate directions for the reader to follow. This may be the aspect of Tom’s teachings that I most appreciate and admire.

• Mental Pursuit
I confess that I had to read through this one several times, very carefully. At the end of my third reading I couldn’t help thinking that Tom Stone is not of this earth. The construction surrounding this unfinished routine demonstrates a frighteningly brilliant binary thought process. The simple description of the effect is that a spectator freely selects (but does not reveal) a question from a stack of “Trivial Pursuit” type cards. After an appropriate amount of mental concentration the magician is able to provide the correct answer to the merely thought of question.

The challenges of digesting “Mental Pursuit” are welcomingly followed by some comic relief, as provided in the next two items:
• Let Them Eat Cake!
A humorous idea for a dove pan or chick pan, this one would probably play well to magicians who are already familiar with the apparatus.
• Helena of the East
How to describe this one… ?
A thin man selects a tube of lipstick from a large variety of lipsticks. A fat, veiled man in drag is then introduced. The selected color of lipstick is revealed and when the fat man’s veil is removed he is seen to be wearing the same color lipstick as the one selected.

• Plot for Wild Coin
In a mere, short paragraph (almost a footnote) we get a simple, clever premise for a stone age “Wild Coin” routine (perfect for the Neolithic magi). Tom concludes his explanation for the trick with, “Well… a bit boring and predictable as it stands. What can be done to breath life into it?” This actually reminded me a bit of Carney’s Book of Secrets, where the reader is tasked with an assignment at the conclusion of each lesson. This is an example of the type of items that I most look forward to in Tom’s books. An item like this will be easy for some readers to overlook, but given the proper attention could positively flourish into a signature routine.

• Quean of the Quiz
(That’s the way it is spelled in the book)
Based on an idea by Ali Bongo, and suited to the stage performer working in front of a curtain, Quean of the Quiz continues on along the quiz show theme initiated by the first item in the book, Mental Pursuit. Much like a number of Tom’s other explanations, we are treated to a description that takes the reader along through the thought and development process of the routine. This one is presented as a comedic quiz show where the spectator has a chance to win a prize based on their answers to a series of fairly silly questions. The questions require personalized answers and are therefore seemingly impossible to predict (an example from the book, “What is the name of the overrated celebrity you despise the most?”). Three envelopes are displayed throughout the routine. As the first two questions are answered (and declared correct by the performer) the envelopes are opened to reveal the prizes associated with the correct answers. The third and final question is asked and when the answer is given the performer opens the third envelope and the card inside reveals a grand prize which contains all the elements of the answers given to each of the three questions. This one requires construction of a specific prop, which Tom very clearly describes and illustrates, but this is not something that every reader will rush out and build. The principle behind the prop, however, can be utilized in other ways, making the premise and method as valuable (if not more so) than the routine itself.

• Wondering Outside the Box
This is an examination of Tommy Wonder’s “Watch in Nest of Boxes.” This will require the reader to have (or at least be comfortably familiar with) the routine from Books of Wonder, volume II, or Visions of Wonder, volume 3. It offers a purposeful suggestion for the vanish of the watch, and an alternate construction (based on an alternate method) of the mechanism for loading the “vanished” watch into the nest of boxes.

• Mood Swings
An adaptation of Roy Walton’s packet trick, “Cascade,” Mood Swings is decidedly fun, but perhaps the weakest piece in the book. With that said, I should also state that its competition with the rest of the book’s material is stiff, and I have not actually produced the “cards” or performed the trick yet, so take my statement for what it’s worth. What I like most about this trick is that it is something you can personalize, using laminated pictures of yourself, demonstrating a wide variety of emotions which can be used to construct a very funny and entertaining routine. I imagine that this is one that will steadily gain my enthusiasm once I start working with it.

• Wet Russian
Russian Roulette with water pistols. As simple as it may sound, in the right hands this one can be crafted into a comedic masterpiece (or should I say, Marvelpiece?). I really love this one as it relies on a very simple, yet clever method (which you may already be familiar with) and allows for the performer to devote all energies to the construction of a high caliber performance (okay… pun intended).

If I could purchase stock in Tom Stone’s creative thought process I have every confidence that I would soon be swimming in the dividends of such an investment. Since the next best thing is to simply purchase every available publication that he has generously contributed to the magic fraternity, I consider the same level of riches within my reach (as it is within yours).

Highly recommended!
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Thanks for the lengthy review, Magiguy!
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5370 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Check out Tom's newly updated web site HERE. I believe he's added a few of his older titles back in.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Marvelpiece! - by Tom Stone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL