The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How High (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Just wondering how high people have hung, doing Straight Jacket escape.
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Does it matter !!!!! Once your suspended over fifteen feet high upside down,,,you die if you fall no matter what the height.

The highest that I have done was from Scarfell Pike in the Lake District,,,suspended off of Striding Edge some 3000 feet up. Next down was from a static hot air balloon, not sure of the height of that one.

Ken
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
No!!!! it does'nt matter, just was sitting here thinking about it,so I thought I would ask.The suspended escape is my favorite, for me I was 274 feet.--- Michael
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I think it does matter.

A fall of 30 feet or more is deadly.

That statement is not true. You can die on a bad landing falling only a few feet. However, something in the human brain is hardwired. Looking at a drop of 30 feet or more hits the panic button. This is all perception and not truth. Most people would feel more emotion as the EA is lifted higher and higher. Roller coasters do the same thing. The lift hill is slow to give the impression of attaining great height.

Hy Magicdoctor, where were you? Hanging out a 16th floor somewhere! 274 feet...WOW
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If I fell from three feet up and landed on my head that would be too much for me !
Observations >>> Both Nick Jansen and myself came to the conclusion many years ago that to do a suspended escape a happy medium must be reached. If you are too high >>> The speckies can`t see very much (So the struggle etc is lost) Your just a pin spot in the sky >>> Nick got it perfect,,,his Crane Bomb was just the right hieght,,,,high enough for the danger,,,but visible enough to be seen by all.

Ken
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
What's heavier, a pound of feathers of a pound of bricks?

The biggest factor IMO in hanging is the blood rushing to your head. If you have a slow moving crane that takes two minutes to lift you 50 feet it's the same as a fast crane, that can lift you two hundred feet in two minutes, To me, it's not a question of height but a question of time.

Besides, unless you are being filmed, anything over say an arbitray figure of two jundred feet, the audience can not see what you are doing and you may be better off staying in focus if you want the audience to follow along Just my opinion. So I agree with the above but just wanted to add the "time" element to the equasion.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
On the other hand. If it was proven that hanging upside down would grow hair - I would argue for the slow moving crain at 500 feet.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Cmon J,,,, your taking the P*** out of me now,,,, I like my shiney pate and so do some of the ladies !!!!!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sorry no disrespect intended, I was just figuring out how could sell franchises and make a million dollars!
Imagine. We make people pay to be straped in a jacket and hung upside down.
It's a living.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I've not yet done UDSJ from any height, but the talk about perspectives got me thinking.

I remember once standing at the top of Malham Cove in the Yorkshire Dales, looking over a drop of - well, I don't know the exact height, but it was *&^** high - and realising I wasn't scared of falling at all, a realisation that worried me more than the actual height.
I recounted this to a friend who used to do a lot of base jumping, he nodded sagely and summed it up by saying, "The urge to jump off's incredible, isn't it?". He then went on to say that when you were up there suited up with a parachute that urge suddenly went.

Anyhow, I guess the point I'm making is there seems to be a height above which you stop thinking about falling because the ground seems so far away it's somehow no longer relevant, like looking out the window of an aeroplane at the patchwork landscape. So I'm wondering, is it actually easier psychologically to UDSJ at ridiculous heights than it is to do it at, say, twenty feet? I should imagine it must be an awesome feeling.
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
When I did the escape 274ft.I was just a pin spot.your right about that Kondini. It was for a very big occasion and also was a huge mental challenge for myself,I really had no idea what that height was really like until I did the escape.I hang usually between 50ft.and 80ft.Knowing how I felt when I hung at the 274ft.Kondini you said you hung at 3000ft. My hats off to you!!! I can't imagine it. What a rush!!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
You just close your eyes and think of England !!!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hey, I got out of a Jacket at 36,000 feet...
But I wasn't upside down. and Yes, I did have the urge to think of England.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Way to go Cliffg37!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2007-11-04 07:54, Kondini wrote:
You just close your eyes and think of England !!!

And suddeenly we are back on to the "some of the ladies" part of the thread! Smile

To Cliff:-
You liar! You were at XXXY (whaever the height was) and falling .... pretty dam fast Smile Would love to have tried that.

The height is NOT scary at 3 miles up - its not till you get a lot ower on your way down that you start to think about the falling .... the ground starts getting bigger and you thinkg of the idea of an impact!

Must admit I love the idea of doing an escape on teh way down .... may be a thumb cuff or a chinese finger trap. You know stuff that has not deen done before .... non of this cage and lots of chan stuff. Anyone could do that! Bring ont eh elastic bands! sorry that should read band! don't want to push it too much!
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I went up about three telephone poles high. I don't know how high that is, but I think I'd have to be high to do it again.

-- Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
You know the joke about the Irish man (insert Mexican in the USA .... and I am sure other races all over the world) who starts work as a telephone pole installer?

The foreman says you go out and dig the hole and stand the poles in the hole. Fill in the hole so that they are nice and safe - it’s really straightforward. At the end of the shift he asks the Irish man how many he installed. He says 1. The foreman tells him it’s just not good enough and needs to improve tomorrow.

At the end of the second day he has done 2. The foreman is still not impressed and says he must improve further and sure he will get the hang of it tomorrow.......

At the end of the third day he has managed 4 and is absolutely shattered! The foreman is still not impressed and asks why it is taking so long. The Irish man says "have you seen how *** tall they are it takes ages to dig a hole that deep!

So ace 3 telephone poles high...... not that high depending in who installed them Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Helicopter several times, up to about 1000 feet. Normally, I do suspended, at about 100'.

I remember a moment, having dropped the jacket, and changing focus. Looking around, upside down, with the wind from the rotor blowing air up my nose. And I got into a mind game about which way the wind was blowing, relative to each of the parts of the environment. Then I looked around, with 360 degrees of horizen, and it was so peaceful, and I could see so far.

But I never did get to ride inside the helicopter.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Harley Harley Harley clearly the air went straight to your brain! And fried it ....

I think you find that the copter was blowing aid DOWN your nose .... unless this was an inverted copter with you floating up and away from the rotors rather than dropping down in to them ...... now that would look kinda cool ..... mmm may be for WEAR next time?

You do have a very peaceful feeling up at that sought of height outside an aircraft. Its kind of strange in a way.

You said you never got inside the heli - how did you get back down to ground? did they just land with you still hanging? I hope someone reminded the plot to stop and let you off first?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Down to the ground? I was supposed to do that? No wonder I feel so up in the air about everything. This has become a situation of much gravity.

It was the first times, I did USD in public. Now, I'd do a very different show of it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How High (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL