The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Witness (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
You now hold in your hands -- an original idea from Lee Asher. He
performs his brand of magic across the world, leaving audiences
speechless. Witness has never before been released on
DVD -- until now.

After having a card selected, your spectator holds a ziplock bag with
a Joker sealed inside. The Joker, held securely between the
spectator's palms, 'transforms' into the selection! Never once is the
bag opened. Everything can be handed out for examination.nvaluable instruction from a professional like Lee Asher allows you
to speed up the learning process. Designed with real world conditions
in mind, after watching this DVD -- you'll perform WITNESS in no time.

The effect requires no gimmicks and features a simplified,
tried and tested handling. The DVD or download runtime is
approximately 21 minutes, including full length street performances
and extensive instruction on all aspects of the Witness routine.

Witness (formerly known as Deucebag) has been the signature effect
in Lee's sold-out lectures around the world for audiences all the way
from Singapore to Paris to Eugene, Oregon for over a decade. This is
the first time that this effect has been taught on video. Shot in High
Definition on the streets of Las Vegas.

http://www.theory11.com/tricks/witness.php
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
krisnevling
View Profile
Regular user
clearfield, pa
142 Posts

Profile of krisnevling
It seams like a lot of hype to me. I learned this years ago from Lee's Thinking Out Loud lecture notes. It's not really that great of a trick. For one thin the card cannot be signed and secondly the method is pretty obvious if you see the whole performance. Here is a link of a guy doing it on youtube. One watch and you'll see how it's done. Too much hype for me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l5VBdlZcPk0
I am 27 years old and have been performing magic for 12 years. My main interest is in card magic, but I love all aspects of it. I love to discuss magic with anyone. Feel free to email me anytime.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Kris,
Why would you do that. From someone who looks like they are trying to break into the marketing in magic to the masses, you seem to want to hurt your fellow peers. Please understand I am not attacking you and I need to say from he start I am not trying to start a fight with you...but come on man that is just poor taste and completley unprofessional of you to post a REALLY BAD performance (its not even the way Lee performs it) of the trick so that everyone will be able to see how its done and not buy it and then start going around performing it without giving back to the creator first.
Why be part of the problem and not the solution..you owe Lee an apology. it does not matter what you think of the trick..what you did was in poor taste bottom line.

Justin N. Miller
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Justin, I think your great and have the utmost respect for you. However, this trick is in a nut shell... lame. Performance on youtube or not. Personally, I was offended that they are pushing a repackaged trick from well known lecture notes. Also, on their own forum someone made a good observation saying that the trick isn't even shown in the trailer because the performance is so obvious (i don't know if that is true but no one argued that post who got it). We all know the trick as deuce bag from his lecture notes... another point that was made over there was that he has taught this trick all over or where ever he goes... which after watching the trailer was his words not the forum users. Which isn't good cause everyone already knows it. When theory eleven launched with all the people involved I thought great things were on the horizon, but there hasn't been. Im not "hating" I'm just saying what it seems like. Witness seems like a lame and poor attempt at reselling a mediocre trick to teens that will buy anything cause of a name and hype. Please know Justin that this has nothing to do with you, everything I have seen from you has been really great and I hope you keep it up. Just Lee's move on this was a let down, doesn't mean I don't respect him as a magician though.
-DJ
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
There's only ONE point in the trick that may reveal how the trick is done. In real life you can easily misdirect or use time misdirection, but there is absolutely no possible way to misdirect a camera. That one point is only made obvious because you are analyzing a video.

Were you also complaining when Daniel Garcia released Warning even though it was already published in his notes? You act like if publishing something from your lecture notes separately is something unheard of in the magic business.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 23:54, krisnevling wrote:
It seams like a lot of hype to me. I learned this years ago from Lee's Thinking Out Loud lecture notes. It's not really that great of a trick. For one thin the card cannot be signed and secondly the method is pretty obvious if you see the whole performance. Here is a link of a guy doing it on youtube. One watch and you'll see how it's done. Too much hype for me.

It's only obvious in that video. Laymen aren't magicians. That trick isn't here to fool magicians, it's to foold laymen. I'd think of this as a video teaching how to perform in the streets, using Witness as an example.
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
Its a republished trick, so what? The lecture notes didn't teach every aspect of the trick, and didn't teach showmanship. I don't own the DVD, but it seems like its more about showmanship and presenting an effect than the method itself. The reactions in the preview are obviously pretty good, as was Lee's performance and build-up. Lee himself even labels it as a "lesson in simplicity." I think this would be good for the usual T11/E demographic who for the most part put too much emphasis on the method and don't understand showmanship.
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
593 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
First off the trick needs no misdirection. You open the bag, flatten it out, and hand it to the spectator. This is as simple and hard hitting as magic gets. There is no need to have it signed or marked. Magic doesn't have to invovle complicated gimmicks or props to be good. This trick is good without even talking, trust me Ive done it to several different spectators with no patter besides, "Pick a card, hold this bag with joker in it, turn it over" and it still kills. If you develop an awesome patter with this it will live up to all this so called "hype" which I think it deserves. Every trick that hits the market doesn't have to be a magician fooler. don't bash a trick or creator before you have taken this out into public and done it. I was the same way until I forst performed this, and after that first time it immediatley made it into my street routine and has been there ever since. So take this out and perform it for someone other than your mirror or your best magic buddy, then come back to this topic and post what you think about it then.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

You could easily combine Witness with Incecent to do this with a signed card.
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
593 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
Umm I don't know how you could combine the two???
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:

What a downright dick thing to do.

I didn't bother watching the youtube clip- I don't need to. When I first saw Lee do this, a roomful of magi, myself included, were blown away. The effect is a friggen miracle. A card is shown sealed inside a plastic bag, which is placed in the spectators hand. It CHANGES, in their hands, and it is examinable. If you don't think that's good- fine. It just lets us know how much stock we should put in your opinion.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
nikyas
View Profile
Loyal user
Kuala Lumpur
207 Posts

Profile of nikyas
Quote:
Too much hype for me.

Where was the hype? There is no hype at all here.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-02 02:25, Nordatrax wrote:
Quote:

What a downright dick thing to do.

I didn't bother watching the youtube clip- I don't need to. When I first saw Lee do this, a roomful of magi, myself included, were blown away. The effect is a friggen miracle. A card is shown sealed inside a plastic bag, which is placed in the spectators hand. It CHANGES, in their hands, and it is examinable. If you don't think that's good- fine. It just lets us know how much stock we should put in your opinion.

Ben

I heard Kris teaches Infusion and Daniel Garcia's last phase of him Quarter routine in Magic Maker's Muscle Pass DVD (not saying that Infusion uses a muscle Pass, it doesn't). What is it with Magic Makers stealing Daniel Garcia tricks?
krisnevling
View Profile
Regular user
clearfield, pa
142 Posts

Profile of krisnevling
First off if I offended anyone I'm sorry. That wasn't my intentions. I just find it pretty strange that all this hype is over a trick that has been published before so they rename it give it some cool looking graphics and now it's supposed to be better. Now for 20 bucks you get this one trick that for 10 bucks you can get along with a few other pretty cool ideas. It just doesn't make any sense.
As far as spectator reactions go. I think that's a cop out when the only thing one can say about an effect is,"Well it gets great reactions." So does vanishing a cig. with a Th--- T--. That gets great reactions too, but if I was trying to sell that on the internet as "SMOKELESS: The ultimate vanishing cigarette" then everyone would have a fit. Sure, with misdirection the Du-- O-- is probably not noticed by most spectators, and I'm sure it does get great reactions(As a matter of fact I know it gets pretty good reactions because I've performed it on occasion) but I just think Theory11 is trying a little too hard to sell a pretty average trick. I think there are a lot of better ideas out there using a plastic bag and a deck of cards that are a little more practical. Take for instance Daryl's routine where the bag is placed over your entire hand as it holds the deck and the SIGNED card visibly penetrates through the bag leaving everything examinable. This routine is impromptu. The card can be signed and uses no gimmicks whatsoever. Witness is not impromptu. The card can't be signed, and to be honest I think you could get pretty much the same reaction performing a do__le l__t then placing the card face down in a spectators hand then having it change. I just don't see the reason to have the joker in the bag in the first place. What is the motivation for this? I will say I don't have the DVD(Why would I? I have the notes) and in the notes lee doesn't give any motivation for the bag and maybe on the DVD he does, but People might say I'm a Di_k for not saying it's the best trick I've ever seen. I'm just honest. I don't think it's that cool of a trick. Others may. If the youtube clip pis--d some people off sorry. I'm sure anyone who wanted to check youtube for Witness already did it and I feel if a company isn't going to show a complete performance of a trick then there's either a reason for it(like the method is too obvious) or it just doesn't look as good as the ad says. I think it's only fair to let people see what they may be buying.
To be honest the kid on youtube didn't do that bad of a job. His card handling was alright and other than the fact that the bag was set on top of the deck for a second(and I'll bet you lee's full performance looks pretty much the same) the trick really can't be performed much better.
Sure presentation is a major part of a routine. I just don't think you should pay 20 bucks for the presentation to what is basically a color change with a baggie to add some decoration. Sorry to be so blunt. I just think the hype is way overrated.
I am 27 years old and have been performing magic for 12 years. My main interest is in card magic, but I love all aspects of it. I love to discuss magic with anyone. Feel free to email me anytime.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

I agree that it is overrated. It would be fine if it was on a DVD with other effects, not just as a standalone product. It's pretty sad that Ellusionist and Theory11 only make single-effect DVD's. Tricks that end up on multiple effect DVD's are extremely underrated.I am sure Daryl's card through Zip-loc bag could sell more as a single effect DVD at Theory11 than if it was in a multiple effect DVD.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Yeah... Witness is a pretty good effect, though not worth having a whole dvd on...
I even asked Lee about the name change etc, and he said it was to appeal to the younger demographic at T11... so in a way they are just giving it a cool name etc to make it look like it's the next best thing.
It is good though, but with the performers involved in T11 why not bring out some new stuff, and how about some multiple effect dvd's... new notes etc, instead of the single trick one's aimed towards those who are easily taken in by the ad etc.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2007-11-02 03:20, krisnevling wrote:
First off if I offended anyone I'm sorry. That wasn't my intentions. I just find it pretty strange that all this hype is over a trick that has been published before so they rename it give it some cool looking graphics and now it's supposed to be better. Now for 20 bucks you get this one trick that for 10 bucks you can get along with a few other pretty cool ideas. It just doesn't make any sense.
As far as spectator reactions go. I think that's a cop out when the only thing one can say about an effect is,"Well it gets great reactions." So does vanishing a cig. with a Th--- T--. That gets great reactions too, but if I was trying to sell that on the internet as "SMOKELESS: The ultimate vanishing cigarette" then everyone would have a fit. Sure, with misdirection the Du-- O-- is probably not noticed by most spectators, and I'm sure it does get great reactions(As a matter of fact I know it gets pretty good reactions because I've performed it on occasion) but I just think Theory11 is trying a little too hard to sell a pretty average trick. I think there are a lot of better ideas out there using a plastic bag and a deck of cards that are a little more practical. Take for instance Daryl's routine where the bag is placed over your entire hand as it holds the deck and the SIGNED card visibly penetrates through the bag leaving everything examinable. This routine is impromptu. The card can be signed and uses no gimmicks whatsoever. Witness is not impromptu. The card can't be signed, and to be honest I think you could get pretty much the same reaction performing a do__le l__t then placing the card face down in a spectators hand then having it change. I just don't see the reason to have the joker in the bag in the first place. What is the motivation for this? I will say I don't have the DVD(Why would I? I have the notes) and in the notes lee doesn't give any motivation for the bag and maybe on the DVD he does, but People might say I'm a Di_k for not saying it's the best trick I've ever seen. I'm just honest. I don't think it's that cool of a trick. Others may. If the youtube clip pis--d some people off sorry. I'm sure anyone who wanted to check youtube for Witness already did it and I feel if a company isn't going to show a complete performance of a trick then there's either a reason for it(like the method is too obvious) or it just doesn't look as good as the ad says. I think it's only fair to let people see what they may be buying.
To be honest the kid on youtube didn't do that bad of a job. His card handling was alright and other than the fact that the bag was set on top of the deck for a second(and I'll bet you lee's full performance looks pretty much the same) the trick really can't be performed much better.
Sure presentation is a major part of a routine. I just don't think you should pay 20 bucks for the presentation to what is basically a color change with a baggie to add some decoration. Sorry to be so blunt. I just think the hype is way overrated.

I seem to remember a thread on Reincardnation not to long ago in which people were just trying to be "Honest" about what they thought of that effect. Man...You would have thought Kris was an 8 year old kid who was just told that his crayon drawing of a house was not good enough to sell as art.

Now Kris is the ambassador of Honest. We came a long way in a few months didn't we.

The bottom line here is that this wasn't magic makers hype and that's why Kris didn't like it. If this was a MM release it would have been a different story.

Is it worth a whole DVD. If you like it and you use it...Then yes. If you don't...Then no. Its a great effect either way and its FUN to perform.

Tim

P.S. I think later today I going to have my wife help me film a little performance of reincardnation and put it up on Youtube. I'll post a link.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
W:H
View Profile
V.I.P.
222 Posts

Profile of W:H
Everyone here is certainly entitled to their own opinions about the effect - all I can say is that I personally think that it is a phenomenal effect, a fantastic DVD (those of you who have seen Lee lecture know that he is a brilliant teacher), and those of you who already own the notes will not be disappointed. The DVD has so much more to it than the notes do. Remember, the notes came out almost 10 years ago...

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.theory11.com/tricks/witness.php

W:H
Wayne Houchin
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Wayne,
SPOT ON OLD CHAP!

(I have always wanted to say that)

Silver Dream was created over 12 yrs ago and first found the break of light in my first e-book Locked In A Room Without Cards. If you read the trick you would get it but it misses so much that video can accomplish. Hence why I put it on DVD.
The notes did not do it justice.

Witness is no exception. I have see Lee do this for over 200 people and EVERY SINGLE ONE was either floored at it simplicity or the trick itself. My wife was able to do it THE MOMENT we walked out of the lecture!

THAT says a lot. Now she has graduated to the bucks material..but I digress.

Justin N. Miller
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Wayne, have you ever thought about combining Indecent with Witness?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Witness (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL