The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Witness (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2007-11-08 01:46, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Well...they did have one cutting edge product. Unfortunately for them it belonged to Steve Dusheck and they did the right thing and pulled it.

Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-11-03 14:54, jordanjohnson wrote:
Ya when I saw Panic I immediatley knew how it was done because I read about Jay Sankey using that method, and ya it is very, very simple gimmick, anywyas anyone perform Witness and can testify to how hard hitting it is?

Did you read about this in Jay Sankey's book or in one of his DVDs?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
593 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
It was either in one of his books or lecture notes but I'm not sure which one
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I guess the Youtube on Witness has been removed..
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Any other full reviews?
worth the money?
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I liked it
yes, worth the money
even though its a 1 trick, 1 dvd
I prefer it to incent as I can be done surrounded, and as soon as the effect is complete, the spec can handle, open etc the bag
nice one lee
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
This effect is definitely worth the money. As a magician Witness may seem too simple it its workings but a lay person does not see it this way. I performed this for my brother who has seen every trick I have ever done and he was stunned. Keep in mind he is one of my toughest critics, and he said this is one of the best card tricks he has ever seen me do. The subtleties that Lee teaches make this effect very convincing.

Matt
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 18:11, matt.magicman wrote:
I liked it
yes, worth the money
even though its a 1 trick, 1 dvd
I prefer it to incent as I can be done surrounded, and as soon as the effect is complete, the spec can handle, open etc the bag
nice one lee

Ditto. The heat is all in the bag and it happens in the spectator's hand! It's so magical for the layperson that it's as magical as it gets.. for an "in their hands card transformation" effect.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Any other reviews?
Full reviews?
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I will never forget the first time I saw Lee do this at a lecture about 8 years ago. There were about 25 magicians on hand(a few big names, including Jerry Andrus R.I.P) and he literally DESTROYED EVERYONE with this effect.

I have seen a crap load of second rate, weak @ss single effect dvds being released lately. You guys are complaining about this? Gimme a break, this is the wrong product to be whining about guys.

As far as the name change, is "Deuce Bag" an appropriate name when marketing to some of the younger magis? I think not...

BTW, if you think $20 dollars is too much for an effect you might actually use...then don't buy it! There's a novel idea!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 13:22, Hart Keene wrote:
I will never forget the first time I saw Lee do this at a lecture about 8 years ago. There were about 25 magicians on hand(a few big names, including Jerry Andrus R.I.P) and he literally DESTROYED EVERYONE with this effect.

I have seen a crap load of second rate, weak @ss single effect dvds being released lately. You guys are complaining about this? Gimme a break, this is the wrong product to be whining about guys.

As far as the name change, is "Deuce Bag" an appropriate name when marketing to some of the younger magis? I think not...

BTW, if you think $20 dollars is too much for an effect you might actually use...then don't buy it! There's a novel idea!

Hart, were the "Big" names there destroyed by this? My guess is that they may have appreciated it, but they would not have been fooled by it. I say that only because of their experience, it takes allot to fool them, let alone destroy them.

I think this is a good effect. Transpos are very powerful. Anyone that has done a two card transpo in a spectators hands will agree. I don't think it's a groudbreaking underground release ( as Theory 11 was touted to be ).

If I had a choiuce between a signe dcard transo and using Witness, I's go the signed card route.

I think "Deuce Bag" was a clever name. Lee always does that ( Wipe Your Ace, etc. )

I really like his work. 5 Card Stud was an excellent DVD. Some folks were put off on the secret agent theme and may have missed some fine effects.

I think for $20, for folks that aren't familiar with this effect, you're getting a lot of bang for your buck. I may get it because even though I may not use it, I always get a creative rush seeing workers perform and explain their work/thinking.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I really wish Theory11 or whatever would come out with a multiple effect DVD...
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I just got this dvd tonight. I was familiar with the routine from Lee's notes, but thought the effect was good enough to take a chance with this product. Here is my review.

Performance-
Showed the impact of this effect. Even if you know a little about magic (like those audiences we hate, with a little bit of magic knowledge) they'll be fooled. And laypeople? Gone.

Set-up-
Takes about 10 seconds (if you're slow) and is very well explained.

Method-
Several different methods are explained for one of the two pivotal moves (not difficult, but pivotal to the trick), in fairly good detail. If you don't know the moves used, I would suggest getting card College or Royal Road. But, even without those sources, the DVD explains the move well enough to learn (it's a move 99% of you already do).

The only other move, which isn't so much a move as am example of an in transit action, is also well explained, and shows how to make it fly.

Some time is then spent discussing psychology, and some very interesting observations are made. In fact, much of what Lee says can be applied to other effects you may already be performing, and I don't doubt will improve the reactions you get from them! Of particular interest to me was the section on selling the effect. Some great thinking here.

Worker's Tips-
Anther section is dedicated to "worker tips", which is why I bought the tape. I got my money worth right there- how to play to different sized audiences, how to use it to get repeat business, etc. I know Lee's been using this for years, and it shows.

Graphics-
Killer. Camera work was tight and clearly done by pros. It wasn't hard to watch (which some magic videos are), and focused, zoomed, and slow-moed at all the right moments.

Navigation-
Easy. I'm awful when it comes to technology, but I had no problems.

Clarity-
Great lighting, great camera work, great quality.

Layout-
Like the navigation section, easy to use and a joy to watch.

So, that's my review. The trick is great, the teaching is well done, and the video and graphics are top notch. I give this puppy 4 Key Cards out of 5.

Ben Train
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Ben, great detailed review.

I have an idea for this, but I'm not sure if it's taught on the DVD. Hmmmm. I think I'm ordering ( from the tailer on Youtube I got the effect, so to be fair to Lee if I'm going to perform it, I'll order. )

Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey Chis,

Stand-up thing to do.

By the way, heere's something to consider, as far as method goes- it is different to watch it on video then it is to see it in person. The reason? You lose the best convincer: the ability to FEEL the card in the bag before it changes. I know that I got fooled the first time I saw it (Lee's lecture) and so did almost everyone else there.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-11-18 22:42, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 13:22, Hart Keene wrote:

Hart, were the "Big" names there destroyed by this? My guess is that they may have appreciated it, but they would not have been fooled by it. I say that only because of their experience, it takes allot to fool them, let alone destroy them.

I think this is a good effect. Transpos are very powerful. Anyone that has done a two card transpo in a spectators hands will agree. I don't think it's a groudbreaking underground release ( as Theory 11 was touted to be ).

If I had a choiuce between a signe dcard transo and using Witness, I's go the signed card route.

I think "Deuce Bag" was a clever name. Lee always does that ( Wipe Your Ace, etc. )

I really like his work. 5 Card Stud was an excellent DVD. Some folks were put off on the secret agent theme and may have missed some fine effects.

I think for $20, for folks that aren't familiar with this effect, you're getting a lot of bang for your buck. I may get it because even though I may not use it, I always get a creative rush seeing workers perform and explain their work/thinking.

I meant what I said. But I'm sure you know that Jerry has been fooled by magicians doing his own magic so I don't know...LOL

With all due respect Chris, I don't think he closes his lecture with this effect because its weak and doesn't "destroy", ya know?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-11-19 12:53, BenTrain wrote:
I know that I got fooled the first time I saw it (Lee's lecture) and so did almost everyone else there.

Exactly...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just ordered it.

Hart, who were the other "Big" names? If someone like Daryl was there and was destroyed, then I'd be impressed.

Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Andrus was probably the biggest "name" there but there were other guys in attendance from Portland. Pace, Mcclintock, Allen? It has been over 8 years so I can't remember exactly who. It was a big lecture and I had only been into magic for a few years. Oh, Ray Hyman was also in attendance.

Chris, I'm not sure why you are trivializing the effect. I saw this effect floor a room full of knowledgeable magicians, Im not lying. Read Ben's post above, he saw the same thing at the lecture he attended.

Just because the method didn't fool you the first time doesn't mean it didn't fool others...I don't know what to tell you, should I just say it sucks and won't fool any magicians? LOL
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
If you watch the video online, and are well versed in card work and magic theory, you might figure it out.

But, picture this-
Lee hands you a ziplocked back. A joker is inside. You get to examine the bag and feel the card is in there. This is placed in between someone's hands. A card is selected and lost in the pack (which is no longer needed). The card in the bag (in the HANDS!) changes into the selection. That's strong.

And, although it may be slightly different that what you saw on the video, that was the way it was perceived at the lecture. And, for the record, it got great reactions when Lee showed it in Toronto because, honestly, that's the way it appeared.

Ben

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Witness (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL