The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » You do NOT want a heel spur.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Man....I don't know what causes 'em, I'm not sure why the doc put tape on my foot, I don't know what makes 'em go away. All I know is they hurt something aweful and those corizon, how ever it is spelled, shots make it feel like you have a golf ball in your foot and let me tell you, walking with a golf ball in your foot isn't easy.

First a Kidney Stone now this...I can't wait until Christmas, I'll likely get stung by a freakin' jelly fish.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
You've got a pain in your foot?

Strange.... when I think of you I'm reminded of a pain somewhere else. LOL

Seriously though... a friend of my went through a heel spur and the cortisone shots made a difference but apparantly you can only have some many of them. I was also curious what causes them and found this.

"When the body is deficient of calcium it begins to leach calcium from the bones. In many people this happens to be in the heel of the foot or some other weak area of the body. As the calcium is being leached, it forms an eruption similar to a volcano. This eruption is the bone spur."

Best,

Tim
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have them, too. They hurt like Hell, and ruin your whole day. I went to a podiatrist and I was shown how the tendons and ligaments in the foot "splay out" when weight is applied (I am overweight and this adds to the problem). This causes the spur to dig into soft tissue causing you to feel like you are walking on a thumbtack. (Yeah, that painful)

Proper support was the recommended treatment. I was skeptical at first, but thought, what the heck. Cortizone shots were mentioned to me but as a later alternative.

He took foot casts and had a custom pair of shoe inserts made. These elevated the arch according to my own foot (over the counter arch supports don't do the trick). This took a bit of time for my feet to readjust, but the pain decreased almost entirely.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Cool....the special inserts are being made as we speak by artisans in the beautiful state of Tennessee. I hope it works. Those shots worked amazingly well. The first one I got hurt like heck when I got it and I couldn't walk that night but to be honest other than a few tweaks it has been great. So the wife made me get a second one and in two weeks the third and last one. I actually was using a cane before the shots. I got a pair of Nu Balance shoes, they are suppose to be good ones for this. My spur had a wonderful nerve wrapped around it.

I'm surprised about the calcium thing as the main drink I consume is non fat milk, which is my favorite drink.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I have Plantar Fasciitis for some time now and I understand how painful it can be.

I have customise insoles which help a bit but the pain is still there. I do stretching on my legs.

Recently, I went for shock wave therapy. Let me tell you the treatment is so painful that there is no words to describe the pain. May be its something like placing a piece of metal on your bones and then hit it with a hammer. Its that painful.

Now I'm begining to see some results. I was told that it'll take 3 months to see results. Its been a month, I hope I can cure this thing.
Bernard Sim
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That Plantar thing is the nerve my spur is mating with! I'm glad I'm not alone but bummed for you folks. This not walking right stuff messes up knees and hips and everything else.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2007-11-02 02:59, MagicSanta wrote:
That Plantar thing is the nerve my spur is mating with! I'm glad I'm not alone but bummed for you folks. This not walking right stuff messes up knees and hips and everything else.

Sounds just like me when my gout flares up. Stupid genetic predispositions. Oh well, I'm learning to love O'Doul's and doing my best to drink lots of water.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-11-02 02:16, MagicSanta wrote:
Cool....the special inserts are being made as we speak by artisans in the beautiful state of Tennessee. I hope it works. Those shots worked amazingly well. The first one I got hurt like a mutha when I got it and I couldn't walk that night but to be honest other than a few tweaks it has been great. So the wife made me get a second one and in two weeks the third and last one.

Is there a limit to how many you can have? My friend was limited to a max of 3. I can't remember why but it was a case of anymore would not be good.

Best,

Tim
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-11-02 02:11, Michael Baker wrote:
I have them, too. They hurt like Hell, and ruin your whole day. I went to a podiatrist and I was shown how the tendons and ligaments in the foot "splay out" when weight is applied (I am overweight and this adds to the problem). This causes the spur to dig into soft tissue causing you to feel like you are walking on a thumbtack. (Yeah, that painful)

Proper support was the recommended treatment. I was skeptical at first, but thought, what the heck. Cortizone shots were mentioned to me but as a later alternative.

He took foot casts and had a custom pair of shoe inserts made. These elevated the arch according to my own foot (over the counter arch supports don't do the trick). This took a bit of time for my feet to readjust, but the pain decreased almost entirely.

~michael

My podiatrist suggested I try over the counter orthotic inserts firstand if they didn't work, she would take casts for custom orthotics. I found that Spenco inserts were effective for me. It took a few days before I noticed any difference, but then the problem rapidly disappeared. One thing she did stress was the importance of using them any time I was on my feet, from the time I put my feet on the floor in the morning until I went to bed, and also any time I got up in the middle of the night.
Spenco insoles are not always easy to find, but I have found "Triad" orthotics work well for me also.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The max shots per my doctor is three and since I have a high pain tolerance I let it go too long, until I really couldn't walk without support. He also said as said above, I always have to have my shoes on. I'll tell you this, other than the after effects of yesterdays shots that doc has me up and around again. Not sure when I'll get the inserts ($450!) but you can bet my dog best not eat them as she did my wifes retainer.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Magic Santa & Bernard;
I also went through this a couple years back and the pain is unbelievable to those who have not been through it. After getting my special inserts, everything went back to normal until....I started getting plantar fasciitis (Plantar Warts), I thought, now where in the **** did these things come from?
After 7 visits to a podiatrist who would cut them, and then file them down (all while I am cringing in pain mind you) I had had it, I told them to knock me out and do whatever they had to do to get rid of the pain.
That was when an Amishman down the road from me, told me to put duct tape on my feet covering the warts. Pull it off every 4 days and put new on until they are gone. I'll tell you what, if I was not in so much pain, I would have thought he was pulling a prank on me. (Watch the stupid English person walk with duct tape on his feet,ha ha) but, after two weeks, they were gone, and they have not returned. I have told others of this amazing remedy and they have had equally good results as well.
So Bernard, give it a try, what have you got to lose but the pain. And Magic Santa, I hope that your situation can be handled with the inserts, but just in case you develope the Plantar Warts afterwards like I did, grab a roll of duct tape.
All the Best
Marty
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have a roll of duct tape!

I had a boss who had what I thing were planter warts and he wanted it taken care of quickly. He said they gave him some acid to put on it and stuff to get rid of the acid. They told him that when he put it on he wouldn't feel anything but when the wart was gone and the acid hit flesh he'd be one hurtin' puppy. He said the doc was honest. I do not want no warts!
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Unfortunately, Plantar Warts and Plantar fasciitis are different.

Plantar fasciitis is an irritation of the fascia while Plantar Warts is a small lesion that appears on the sole of the foot.

There are others who have said nightsplint helps. Some said The Strassburg Sock helps. You might want to give the sock a try.
Bernard Sim
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-11-02 13:10, MagicSanta wrote:
The max shots per my doctor is three and since I have a high pain tolerance I let it go too long, until I really couldn't walk without support. He also said as said above, I always have to have my shoes on. I'll tell you this, other than the after effects of yesterdays shots that doc has me up and around again. Not sure when I'll get the inserts ($450!) but you can bet my dog best not eat them as she did my wifes retainer.

Santa, if you have not yet ordered the custom insoles, you might want to try the Spenco orthotics, they are between $15-20 a pair, and as I said, they worked for me (I realize everyone's feet are different, of course.) I was at the point of being unable to get up on my feet and walk, it was so painful I couldn't even step down with my full weight, period. As I mentioned, it took a few days of using them, and ALWAYS putting my shoes on when I stood up, but the result was fantastic.
Anyway, best of luck to you with these dratted spurs, they are absolutely no fun whatsoever.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you....they are on order. With insurance I think my cut is around $135 from what the nurse said. The doc said my foot has basically collapsed from normal to a flat foot and that is one of the problems with my spur and that plantapotatoe nerve. No warts...dear god no warts!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Fauna doesn't have this problem...his legs got eaten off by Barry of Eastenders.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I had Plantar Warts when I was a kid. They reminded me of tiny volcano craters (a bump with a hole in the center). I recall the doctor scraping them down with a razor knife and applying some medicine to them before taping up my feet. This proceedure was repeated many times, but I can't recall the frequency. I remember that each treatment would send burning shock waves up to my knees for days. It sucked.

I wish duct tape had been more widely known as a wart remedy back then. I have since used it for other types of warts, and yes, it does work. Even my son's doctor gave it the ok.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Plantar's Facietis is not fun. Both feet here! Problem is, to fix it correctly, they have to DETACH YOUR ACHILLES TENDON from your heel, scrape away the built-up bone and reattach it. It takes WEEKS for it to reattach, and during that time (according to my nutty podiatrist) you can't walk, stand or get up! Off your feet completely. While that may sound like fun, I don't think I could stand it (no pun intended!) to lie in bed that long. May just cut off my feet and have bionic ones put on...

Steve
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Can't stand at all? Holy $@)#. I feel for you.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1945 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Is there any prevention for this?? I really afraid to get this. :o(

Cheers,
CC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » You do NOT want a heel spur.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL