The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ballooning 101 260W Whirlybird?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ryan Matney
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Ryan Matney
I've seen reference in some older books to a 260W or Whirlybird balloon? Do they still make these or does it have a different name now?
www.pocket-tricks.com
The Close-Up Magic Shop
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've seen them from a balloon place in Seattle. I don't remember the name but if you do a search on yo yo balloons it is like the happy sunshine Jesus balloon company or something like that.
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Ashland used to make whirlies/wendies. The production process involved an additional strip of latex down the length of the balloon. This bead would add resistance to the air pressure and cause the inflating balloon to curl tightly. If you didn't tie off, you could release the nozzle, and the balloon would spin tightly around in place and allow you to catch it at the end. I used one during the warm-up of my show for years. Think I still have a few downstairs, but Ashland's been gone for a very long time.

A similar effect can be had by inflating and then deflating a balloon to soften it and then wrapping the balloon around a finger before re-inflating. The curl is not as tight, but it does produce a spiral.

Tom
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Ashland had whirlies individually wrapped in a counter display box. I had them in my basement for more than 10 years. I came across them when I recently moved, and was going to throw them out. I blew some up and they were still good. I couldn't believe it.
When I did my balloon stage act, I used them as a gag. I would let a 345 fly saying "my impression of a manned rocket" Blow up the whirlie and say "my impression of a womanned rocket" and of course it would spin. (I think that Bob Folmer gave me that bit.) In light of happenings in the space program, that bit isn't funny any more.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
You can make your own with some liquid latex or rubber cement. lay the balloons out and run a strip on one side ... let dry.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Ryan Matney
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Ryan Matney
Thanks Everyone. That's a great tip, Mark! I just wanted them for a gag so that might work out just perfect.
www.pocket-tricks.com
The Close-Up Magic Shop
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Wrap the 260 around you fingers before you blow it up and hold the end tight as the balloon will be curled as you inflate it this will have the same effect no special balloon
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ballooning 101 260W Whirlybird?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL