The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Question about Amvona Backdrop setup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
397 Posts

Profile of Jay
Hi all,

I just purchased an Amvona AS-014 backdrop stand from eBay as per many recommendations here and it looks great! I set it up in the house and it is HUGE! It is well made and appears to be very sturdy.

Here is my question:

Since it did not come with directions, I wanted to know the best order in which to set up the pieces. Am I supposed to set up both stands and set them approximately 12 feet apart and hope for the best once the crossbars are assembled and I try to line the crossbar holes up with the bolts on each of the stands? I had some real challenges placing the cross bar onto the stands, and that was without a backdrop curtain even on the bar yet!

Then, I thought, maybe I am supposed to put one piece of the crossbar onto one of the stands, and build it horizontally, one crossbar piece at a time, but that would be difficult to do with the curtains on there.

I just don't know how best to do it.

A little guidance for a new backdrop owner would really be appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Jay
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1801 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I set up both stands approximately 12' apart and then I assemble the crossbar. I put one end of the crossbar on one stand and then walk along the crossbar, holding it up for support, until I get to the other end and then put the second end of the crossbar on the second stand.

To put the backdrops on, I lift one end of the crossbar off the stand and feed the backdrop complete on from that one end. Once all of it is on (it will be bunched up toward that end), I put the crossbar back on the stand and then distribute the backdrop across the crossbar.

When raising the crossbar, you don't want to extend one side completely before going to the other or the second stand will bind when you try to extend it (because of the diagonal stress from the crossbar.) The best way to do it (if you don't have an assistant to help) is to extend the first side about 2 or 3 feet then extend the other side about twice that far. Then, you come back to the first side and extend it 2 or 3 feet past the other side, etc., until the stands are fully extended or at the height you want them.

Obviously, all this is easier with an assistant. You're on one side. The assistant is on the other. You can put the crossbar on easily. You can feed the backdrop from both sides and you can extend the stands on both sides at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
397 Posts

Profile of Jay
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you so much, Michael.

Jay
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1801 Posts

You're welcome. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions. I've been using photographic backdrop stands for magic for 25 years. (My first set was actually for photography - my hobby. I realized they would serve double duty.)

Michael
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings... I too just purchased 2 sets of the Amvona stands. Michael- what do you do about the feet of the uprights (tripod legs)? Does you backdrop cover them? Do you just place them so only 1 foot faces forward?

My plan is to have one set on each side, at angles (like upside down V), with a crossbar between the two stand sets, holding a "doorway" curtain (my previous backdrop was a Trimble screen setup, with a curtained "doorway" in the middle).

Thanks,
Joe
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1801 Posts

I've never really worried about the legs showing up. Mine are black so they really don't stand out at all.

Michael
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13363 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I roll up the fabric onto the crossbar. I use crushed panne (sp?) which does not wrinkle. So I do the same thing Michael does except I don't need to feed the fabric onto the crossbar.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MikeBent
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, MA
174 Posts

Profile of MikeBent
Do you use a single thickness of the crushed panne fabric?
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I prefer to have an assistant help me. I broke off one of the connectors by doing it myself.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
If you lift the curtain in stages (pun intended) and do so attentively, as Michael (so well) describes, the conectors should not break. Of course an assistant is nice to have, but not necessary.

Single crushed panne fabric (in my case red/burgundy color) seems to work fine. The material is not translucent --unless, perhaps you position it in front of a window with daylight streaming through.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Question about Amvona Backdrop setup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL