The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls routine question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Greetings,

I am starting to work on my routine for Cups and Balls. I have been doing the routine from Mark Wilson's complete course for a long time, and realized I needed to make a routine that is me.

One of the things that keeps coming up is bringing in Mike Roger's Baseballs, and using reference the old sketch, "Whose on First..." Haven't worked it all through yet, but having fun with that is for sure.

RevJohn
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Don't forget the small baseball bat for a wand. That is a great start and one avenue I went down about 12years ago.....it can be a very good time.
Mobius
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Sounds great John! Please post a clip for us when she's all worked out and I 2nd the use of a bat for a wand!
Mick
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Baseball Bat is a nice idea. Will think about that. I will have to see how it looks with some of the routine.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Interesting idea. Abbot and Costello had several versions of that routine, some much shorter than others, which would be good. The longer versions would be a pretty fast-paced cups and balls routine. Maybe getting mini baseballs and coloring each a different color (yes, I know that it would take some tricky manipulation, but you got it in you, John). Of course, I may be just over routining, I guess there is no reason why three identical balls couldn't have the names of the players in the routine. In fact it might actually play pretty strong that way. The mini bat is a great idea. Let us know how it turns out, John. (so we can all steal the routine, lol).
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
That is good to know about the different versions. I think I am staying with the same color baseballs, as part of the fun of the routine (Abbot and Costello). There is a same-ness, but different. (That was as clear as mud).

I will have to look into the shorter versions. It might help in keeping the flow of the routine, as I don't want it to have a rushed feel.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Photius is right about the "Who's on First" routine. Sometimes they would ad-lib for several extra minutes if they needed to stretch the routine to fill extra time. There are only a couple of recorded versions of it. Those are the ones we are most familiar with.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
On the subject of Abbott and Costello:
Check out the Abbott and Costello podcast on iTunes. The "Who's on First" template has been used in other routines of theirs as well. Most notably, "You Drive."
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks Pepka, will check that out.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The LA Dodgers have a player from Korea named "HU'. But when he got on base he refrained (darn) from saying "Hu's on First", but the newspaper guys took off on it....
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Good to have you back in fine form, Pete!

RevJohn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls routine question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL