We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Boston (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
Anyone busking in Boston? Maybe not right now do to the wheather, but maybe have or are planning on.

ALso, besides Faniuel Hall(Quincy Market)where are some other good places to busk? I know you have to audition to work Fanny Hall so that's why I'm looking for other places there to busk.

Thanks
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
At one time there was quite a lot of busking in Harvard Square. Not so much these days, they've changed the sidewalks and areas that were great for performances have been broken up a bit. In Cambridge you need a permit, it's $40 per calendar year. During the summer months, and maybe it's been extended for longer, Memorial Drive is closed for a few blocks around Harvard Square. It should be possible to find a few spots along the river appropriate for busking.

I imagine there are spots along the waterfront and there should be spots in the "new" park above the "Big Dig". Danny Hustel advises that there is a spot in front of Faneuil Hall that doesn't require you to be part of the audition process, but it is sought after and unless you are really good, and probably even if you are really good, you will get pushed out by the bucket drummers and break dancers.

New England has all sorts of festivals and fairs through the summer. It is worth checking out surrounding cities and towns.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
Wow that was a wealth of information. Thanks so much. I will look into those places.

How about more on those fairs and festivals. Can you give me any names of these? and how you get to be in and perform in them?

Thank ou Devyn
DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
And I think I know waht spot your talking about at Fanny Hall where you don't need a permit. is it the spot right in front of the main entrance? Where its shown on the Art of Street Performong dvd collection.

If I'm right I agree that you would have to be good to work there. I've seen Gazzo,Lucky,Danny Hustle,and others working there and they are just great.

Devyn
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
In Boston...there are some spots in Downtown Crossing, but probably not for a big circle show. I never saw anyone working in the Copley Square area, not sure why... plenty of geography there by the looks of it. Salem has tourists and foot traffic, not sure of the rules. I don't think it's worth trying to work Worcester.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I've seen buskers, not doing magic though, jugglers, and music folks, in the Boston Public Garden, and the Boston Common. There are probably spots along Commonwealth Avenue.

There are all sorts of things happening. There are kite events in and around Boston. There is the Cambridge River Festival, various towns and cities have "town day". Around July 4, many towns have events during the day with fireworks in the evening.

I don't know how you get in on it, but there are also "First Night" festivities on New Year's Eve in Boston, Providence, and I think Worcester.

It might actually be easy to do something at first night, unless the police chase you away. One year I was waiting for the parade to come by and took out a yo-yo to pass the time. After a bit I looked up to discover I had gathered a crowd and received a round of applause when I stopped. If I had been quicker, I could have passed the hat and would probably have done okay.
Marty Sasaki

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I busk in the common. There is a walkway that is right across from the gardens.. It gets a bunch of foot traffic. (people going from the gardens or common up to Faniuel Hall.

I did a show or two up by Faniuel.. across from the break dancers... They kinda take the place over though... They have a good show.. but they just don't stop...
THey have speakers and 5 to 10 people at a time... so they win...

Still you could get your nitch if you went there often enought..

Shawn.
Shawn.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
If you want to learn your trade and craft knocking out shows in Downtown Crossing or Boston Common will work. The money is not there and stay away from the vendors but you can have fun.

Harvard Square IS A MESS at the moment. There are still places to work if you just want to hustle and learn but again, money is tough. Better situation than Downtown crossing or the common though in my opinion.

My best advice would be to go walking around AWAY from fanny hall, downtown crossing, the common, and find A NEW AREA. There are MANY places in Boston with a lot of foot traffic. I know guys who claim to have had good luck in other areas but I am not going to blow their pitches.

The good news is the city is now WIDE OPEN to buskers. You can work almost anywhere YOU think is good.

Take a look at surrounding towns as well. there is some great night life in particular in some of the outlying towns.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
Thank everyone for the wealth of information.

I have a quesion tho. do you have to have a permit to busk in Boston? Besides Fanny Hall I mean.

Thanks
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Nope. It's WIDE open. Smile

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
You just can't block any walking paths... They will try to get you on that no matter where you are.. So make sure you or your crowd is not impeading on a walkway sidewalk enterance or exit.. and you will be all good...

Good luck Let us know how you make out..

Shawn.
Shawn.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Shawn,

That is VERY true! Thanks for pointing that out! Also, if the police should tell you that you are blocking the walking path EVEN if you are not, maybe especially if you are not. BE POLITE and do what they tell you. When they see you are willing to 'play ball' and not be a pain in the lower regions they will cut you some slack. that has worked for me with the BPD, the parks department men and women, and the state police. Be nice and they will too.

GREAT point Shawn!

Best,

Dan-

G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Hey Danny thanks for the info on Boston.. I was supposed to go to Salem, Ma a couple weeks ago, but I had some gigs and told my sister to go ahead without me.. She had a ball, but she told me that Boston, and the 3 hour drive from salem was horrible. I guess she didn't like the traffic or somethin..

George
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
The traffic is just horrible...always.

DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
Wow, thanks for that point Shawn.

And Danny thanks for letting me know that its open. that's just great.

Boston is actually only a little over an hour for me. Especially if I take the T in. All those from Boston know what I'm talking about.

Yes, I will definetly let you all know how I do. But to let you know it's probably not going to be a little while before I go. I have to work some more on my patter and get everything down to the point where I can do my routine in my sleep. hahaha.

Thanks everyone.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Good for you. I wish you success.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
Thank You.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
And you got plenty of time to work on the timing and patter, it's November. I doubt if anybody's really planning on working Boston during a New England winter! (We've just had three days of 50-60 degree weather... now with the weekend coming, it's supposed to drop to lower 40s and less! I hate New England in the winter!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Anyone have information about busking during First Night, or how to get to be a performer for First Night? It's probably too late, but it might be an option. I know there have been magicians, jugglers, story-tellers, etc., performing in Hynes Convention Center as well as lobbies to buildings along Boylston Street.
Marty Sasaki

DevynS
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of DevynS
Mandrake I definetly agree with you on that. I hate New England Winters.haha

Marty I have a question. What is First Night? sorry I don't know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Boston (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL