The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Asking for Guidance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Hi there!

Long story short, I really would like some help here.

My mentor put it best...
"People are going to be watching you, and for some it will be the first time they've ever seen a magician. They may have high expectations, and if you're doing crap, they'll think 'this is it? this is magic?'."

I want to improve for the sake of the art.
I am aware that at my current level, I'm not good enough to be where I want to be. If it weren't for my charm, I wouldn't've made it this far...

Your thoughts?
Any advice on how to get the ball rolling and make that happen?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Your charm makes you be at a lower level artistically than you wish to be? Well... communication isn't your main strength. I went to your web site and didn't get much more of an indicator of what you need but I'm going to guess you are asking how to advance as a magical artist rather than a kid who does tricks.

Here is what I suggest to you. First, and I'm assuming you are highschool age, it is hard for me to tell because everyone under 30 looks like a kid to me. Take drama in order to learn stage craft. Take dance classes so you can learn how to move with grace and rythm. Take classes on poetry and mythology to get ideas for basing routines. Get into an improv group if you have one near you (I wish I had one near me), take mime classes, join Toast Masters to learn how to speak to groups.

The easiest part of being a good magician is the magic. You need to learn how to present it and that is the other stuff I mentioned. You give me a good looking guy who can speak reasonably well, can move like a dancer, and I'll give you an illusionist and the dip wouldn't need to know a darn thing about illusion. Get the point? The most important thing you can do is develop your performing character. It can be completely different than you are normally or it can be just an amplified version of yourself, but you must understand that character, what motivates him or her, what he is trying to get across. Figure out how the character moves and dresses and handles situations. Then find magic that fits that character and write a script for that character. Once you combine all of that together you have made it into an artform.

If I'm wrong in what you are asking and just want to know what double lift David Blaine likes let me know.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Wow! Santa, when you get serious you get really good.

Aaron, Santa just gave advice worth paying for.

Jeff
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Jeff, I try...but there has to be a good thing to respond to and those are few and far between.
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Santa, you gave me what I wanted for Christmas! Smile
Seriously, I'm taking more of that to heart than you may think.

I would like to clarify that my charm is in fact what's saved me on countless occasions from looking like a buffoon.

Thanks again Smile
Anyone else's thoughts?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Cool, good luck to you. If you learn how to move and develope that character you will be ahead of the pack.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
The secret of a great show is think about things outside magic that can take your breath away, and think of powerful emotions...then use magic to get those those feelings and emotions to make your audience feel more than being fooled.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Asking for Guidance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL