The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Kayfabe" Pro Wrestling and the Prestige (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There is a word that the professional wrestlers use...It represents the continuous performance that a person may adapt to his character. An example would be the Chinese performer in the Prestige..... His total dedication to his character. Professional wrestlers are also committed in this maner. Some mentalists are too. Smile
Kayfabe Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Some wrestlers SHOULD be committed. Some Mentalists, too.

- entity
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA - Santa Fe, NM
154 Posts

Profile of Vanian
I was wondering about that as I was doing research awhile back into Chung Ling Soo (a.k.a William Robinson) and how much he committed to his character practically all the time. I've always known that Professional Wrestlers did that as well (though never knew it was called Kayfabe) so it makes one wonder if people like Uri Geller have been doing this all along and fooling Randi and others into wanting to expose them? Curious.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Did you ever notice Jims HOAX at the bottom of his posts?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I've been trying to cal attention to H.O.A.X. in all the threads and ask what do people think it means?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Vanian
Well, this is why I liked Jim's performance and support what he does and thought it was wrong for "him whose name will no longer be mentioned" to call Jim out the way he did. (And yes, due to trying to be objective I had earlier defended "him whose name will no longer be mentioned" only against those who unfairly claimed that he can't ever perform live when in fact, he had been doing live shows for years both on and off Broadway before he got his own TV show and became a pompous donkey. But that's a whole other thread.)
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
A mentalist must always live his act, everyday
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I applaud Jim for sticking to his guns..Remember when those wrestlers and that comedian got into it?
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Vanian
Yep, Andy Kaufman and wrestler Jerry Lawler. Andy was a master at always being in character (actually, a couple of characters!) and fooled many people including his own handlers with some of his antics.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Remember the TV brawl with Kaufman in a neck brace and everyone wondering if it was REAL or not....
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Honest
Original
Amazing
Xenonormalist
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
On Mondays I have lunch at Soundstage 22 so I can steal internet access there. It is also where the Wrestlers eat before filming TNA...If I were to pull a Criss Angel and stand up and call them FAKES...I'd be killed...I wonder if CA would like to have lunch with me one Monday Smile
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
733 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Slim, you eat lunch ... So tell me, how are Scott Hall and Kevin Nash getting along? Wait, why would you call them fakes? Smile
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Quote:
On 2007-11-06 15:47, Vincent.Lynch wrote:
A mentalist must always live his act, everyday

Just build a solid act for the short time you're on stage. Everything else is for fun and marketing.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
D@mm it TC I forgot to tell you that Beyond Belushi played at The House of Blues last Friday night. (*^(^&79*&
Come and have lunch with me and you can see for yourself Smile
Can I gig on a cruise ship? Smile I want to work my honeymoon.
I've improved since Supernatural Florida...Really Smile
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-11-06 13:32, Slim King wrote:
There is a word that the professional wrestlers use...It represents the continuous performance that a person may adapt to his character. An example would be the Chinese performer in the Prestige..... His total dedication to his character. Professional wrestlers are also committed in this maner. Some mentalists are too. Smile
Kayfabe Smile

How about giving that to us in UK 'speak', please?
:)
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2007-11-06 14:22, Doug Higley wrote:
I've been trying to cal attention to H.O.A.X. in all the threads and ask what do people think it means?

I really don't know what it means. Can someone "in the know" explain it.

Usually a word punctuated with periods such as H.O.A.X. means more than just the word it spells. I would think this is an acrostic where each letter stands for a word (nice try Doc).

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So the fact that it spells HOAX is just a coincidense Smile ?
Not sure how to help you guys in the UK?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
We all know it means Honor Only Angel's Xenomenia
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Actually, the HOAX punctuation is a wonderful way to create an Infinity Egress effect (or rather, a Rorshachian one too)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Kayfabe" Pro Wrestling and the Prestige (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL