The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Heavyweight Boxing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Are any of you into following this. I've been dead interested ever since I was a kid and remember the great Floyd Paterson, Sonny Liston 'staying on that stool', Henry Cooper flooring Cassius Clay (Ali), the terrific Ali/Frasier fights, the decades of horizontal British heavyweights, and of course the final disbelief at the titles coming here with Lewis. Iron Mike now due to fight Clifford Etienne and hoping for another payday with Lewis. I rate the Ali/Frasier fights the best of the best! Smile and if only, IF ONLY, politics had allowed a contest between Ali and Stevenson of Cuba (dream on!)
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I watch pretty regularly but more to study technique than just as a fan. I'm fighting as a heavyweight in an international martial arts tournament in less than a month, and I am looking for all the inside info I can get. Personally I find non-title fights more enjoyable usually because the over-hype drives me nuts. You can see some really great boxing in the contenders ranks and not end up with 30 second fights and missing ears and such. I agree though that the Ali/Frasier fights were terrific. Ali's daughter is also showing great promise in women's boxing.

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Hey Bigwolf, nice to hear about your sport, and every good wish. I too have a training programme 3 days a week, cycling, hillwalking, weights etc. - to fight the toughest, biggest opponent you'll ever find in life, - advancing years!! Don't know whether you ever saw a video of the Ali v. martial arts guy (think he was Japanese). The whole thing was such a farce. The guy avoided Ali's punches like grim death by throwing himself on the floor and kicking hell out of Ali's legs. Ali subsequently had to have treatment for damaged veins so I believe.

Great to hear from you - Tony. (Being from Canada I guess many feel cheated out of Lennox Lewis over there).
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Thanks for the thought, and I'm glad to hear you have a training program. Too many people just accept they have to stop being active as they get older.

Personally I study Shaolin kung fu (like the temple monks) and Tai Chi, with actual training classes 5 days a week (I'm an assistant instructor so it helps motivate me to keep at it). On my off days I "rest" by lifting weights, swimming, running /hiking, and working the bag - I just don't feel right not doing something! Some people might think I'm too old, but I'm the same age as Lewis (although the comparisons stop there!! Smile )

I remember the Ali vs. karate-guy thing - pretty embarrassing for both boxing and other martial arts. I don't think anyone really knew how to compare the sports back then.

I don't think too many Canadians are hot over Lennox leaving. He did win us our first boxing gold in 56 years in Seoul, but you get pretty used to talented people leaving here for more money elsewhere, especially the US. So many major Canadian actors and singers relocate to LA / NY etc. it's hard to keep track of them all. Personally I'm still behind the guy, after all his development years were here.

My favourite Canadian boxer though of course is George Chuvalo (78-18-1, 71 knockouts). The first guy to go 15 rounds with Ali without being knocked down - in fact in all 97 professional bouts he was never knocked off his feet which is unique in boxing. That's really his personality - he's had a heck of a tough life (lost one son to drugs, another and his wife to suicide) but he still hasn't been "knocked down". He started speaking at schools all across the country warning kids about the dangers of drugs.

-bigwolf {*}

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Remember George Chuvalo very well indeed, a very tough guy. Also Joe Bugner could not be taken down by Ali (but hopelessly outpointed). I remember when Joe took the European title off Henry Cooper and a lot of British people (even though Joe came from Cornwall I think) always hated him for taking 'our 'enry's' title. Once met Henry Cooper when he was financially down and had to travel around doing promotional work for Brut aftershave etc. Joe has lived in Australia for years. Clifford Etienne had his 49 seconds of fame against Iron Mike!! So, any of you USA guys, if Mike gets a re-match against Lewis, what do you think will be the outcome?
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Can you think of any other sport or event where people are prepared to pay big bucks for 49 seconds of entertainment?

Howard
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
On a sort of related note, what's your favourite boxing movie? I've been re-watching all my old motivational flicks while training (all the Rockies, my Bruce Lee collection, etc) and I'm looking for more motivational films. For training, I tend to prefer boxing movies to martial arts because they usually focus more on training for competition.

-bigwolf {*}

Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
If anyone is still reading this, did you see Jones vs. Ruiz or Sanders vs. Klitschko? Anyone surprised by either outcome?

-bigwolf {*}

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Klitcho, what a bum. His last fight was with a man 0ver 40 plus.
A big chiseled fighter with no chin.
He finally faught some one that could punch.

When Jerry Cooney lost to Larry Holmes he was never the same and the same can be said aout Klitcho.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Did you notice that Klitschko wasn't even warmed up for the fight? No sweat or anything, he went in cold! His legs probably turned to rubber the first time Sanders landed a hook. I wonder if his brother will fight the same way?

I watched a post-fight interview with Ruiz and I couldn't believe he gave absolutely no credit to Jones for beating him. All he did was complain about the ref not letting him fight "his way". Sure, the ref kept breaking up the clinches, but the rest of the time Ruiz was giving Jones 10 second rests between flurries and just basically getting outboxed. The reffing made very little difference IMHO.

-bigwolf {*}

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Klitchko had trouble with a south paw and he did not even know how to tie up Sanders. His brother is no different, a stand up fighter with a jab and that's it.
I thought Ruiz was correct; the referee never let him fight his type of fight, however he would not have won in either case. Jones will have to fight some one of better quality in the heavy weight ranks.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Isn't there a Holyfield vs Jones fight in the works now? I have a lot of respect for Holyfield. Smile
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Heavyweight Boxing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL