We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Off-beat memdeck material - non revelation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
458 Posts

Profile of mfeld
So it seems to me that most of the memdeck work out there centers around interesting ways to reveal a selected card.

But most of the cardwork I really like has to do with named cards, card reversals, etc. -- things that aren't just card revelations

What are your favorite memdeck effects with offbeat plots or tricks that aren't just revelations?
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Or follow me on Twitter - @magicianmike
And Instagram - @magicianmichaelfeldman

Check out my newest book with Ryan Plunkett: A New Angle
https://www.ryancplunkett.com/project/anewangle
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There's the classic "weighing the cards", where someone cuts the deck, and you tell them how many cards they cut.

Simon Aronson's "Invisible Card" is also good. A named card is found to be missing from the deck. It then re-appears in the deck face-up.

Richard Osterlind's "Card Calling" and "Blackjack Demonstration" are good, too.
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
191 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
One of my favorite off-beat uses for the Aronson stack is Simon's "Draw Poker Demonstation" combined with the Once Again re-stack.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
There's the great Bridge Deal which is built into the Aronson stack. It's explained in Bound to Please, but if you know the Aronson Stack, just deal 4 hands of 13 cards and look at the hand dealt second. (The dealer's partner's hand.) This hand will sustain the highest possible bid in Bridge: 7 No Trump.

Granted that you don't often have occasion to work for bridge players, but when there are some present, this is a powerful tool to have in your arsenal. Obviously, it should not appear that the deck is or could be stacked. So, it should follow some false shuffles, and/or other tricks which don't destroy the Aronson Stack. Or, it can follow a deck switch where the Aronson stack is put into play unsuspected after the deck has been shuffled by a spectator.

There's also a Blackjack Demonstration in the Aronson stack. It's also explained in Bound to Please. Of course, if you want to do the Osterlind Blackjack Demonstration mentioned by Scott Cramm, you can do it with Osterlind's BCS or also with any memdeck stack you know.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
460 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
Dear Michael,

please seek out Juan Tamariz' Mnemonica. It's a work of almost philosophical completeness with regards to memorised deck work. You'll find the approaches listed above, lie detectors, predictions, total memory demonstrations, shuffle bored-type effects, work on the half-stack, in short an encyclopaedia which will keep you occupied for years.

Bet wishes,

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Off-beat memdeck material - non revelation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL