The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat = Longevity?? Congratulations! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article3138352.ece

A startling new study by medical researchers in the United States has caused consternation among public health professionals by suggesting that, contrary to conventional wisdom, being overweight might actually be beneficial for health.

The study, published yesterday in the respected Journal of the American Medical Association, runs counter to almost all other advice to consumers by saying that carrying a little extra flab – though not too much – might help people to live longer.

Struggling dieters, used to being told that staying thin is the best prescription for longevity, are likely to be confused this morning if not heartily relieved. While being a bit overweight may indeed increase your chances of dying from diabetes and kidney disease – conditions that are often linked with one another – the same is not true for a host of other ailments including cancer and heart disease, the report suggests.

In fact, scanning the whole gamut of diseases that could curtail your life, being over weight is, on balance, a good thing. The bottom line, the scientists say, is that modestly overweight people demonstrate a lower death rate than their peers who are underweight, obese or – most surprisingly – normal weight.

The findings will be hard to dismiss. They are the result of analysis of decades of data by federal researchers at the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia. This is not a study from a fringe group of scientists or sponsored by a fast-food chain.

Being overweight, the report asserts in its conclusions, "was associated with significantly decreased all-cause mortality overall".
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Wow!

And tomorrow smoking will reduce cancer, and having regular bowel movements will be a danger signal, and next week some scientists will release a new study that Cracker Jack is the main cause of heart disease for five generations of Americans.

It's not that I disagree with the report. How can I? I'm not a scientist. It's just that I'm a little tired of scientists changing their minds.

I read recently (no kidding) that obesity is health problem #1, because it leads to a host of increased health risks. But now I find out that I could use a few extra pounds. Which is good, because I have gained a few extra pounds since I quit smoking. Of course, next week they might tell me to start smoking again....

Jeff
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Kinda like that scene from Woody Allen's movie "Sleeper" ?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Modestly overweight? Does that mean if I get a giant towel and keep it wrapped around me it is okay? Cool!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Hopefully!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I better not lose this extra weight then.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Actually, I've known about this for quite some time.

One of the things that has severely affected people of normal size was when the gov't made the decision in 1996 to lower the acceptable BMI from a truly healthy 26-28 to 25. This immediately made even more people who were otherwise of normal weight to suddenly be classified as fat. Later studies and statistics have shown that the greatest longevity was to be had at the original BMI, but the gov't and the weight loss industry don't want to hear it.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I always wanted a BMI. I settle for a Ford though...
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I'll sell you a Rollex
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fat = Longevity?? Congratulations! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL