The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Magic for Teens/College Students (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
I have never done gospel magic before, but I am thinking of writing a script for an act. I don't want to buy books and DVDs on gospel magic, because I want to be forced to write my own material. I have been doing magic for 45 years and I have been a Christian for 30 years. The act I do now is not children's magic, so I would like to target an older audience.

My question is whether or not there is enough work out there to keep a performer busy. I know my motivation should be to share the Great Commission and tell others what God has done in my life, and that is certainly part of my motivation, but the reality is that gas is $3.00 a gallon!

Your shared experiences would be great.

Wayne
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
It all depends on what God is calling you to do...if you're just looking at churches as another group that you can book and do an Gospel presentation, I would recommend that you don't. To go into churches, I really feel that you need to be called to do that. I've been working in churches for over 20 years now, and was booked up to 2 years in advance, doing 6 days in the same church each week. It was a crusade format, very evangelistic in nature, saw great results, and I used illusions to teach with.

Here's something to put you on the right path...pray! What message or series of messages does the Lord want you to share...after you know, then look at the equipment that you have and see what you can use to illustrate that message with. For example, I do one night of teaching on trading places, how Christ traded places with us and I use Peanut Butter and Jelly effect and Abbotts Mutilated Parasol. Another night I do one on making room for Jesus and do Multum in Parvo, with a kicker ending and a sponge ball routine that involves 2 audience members and one ends up with up to 20 sponge balls in the end.

I was full time (I'm pastoring now, but still open my schedule to go into churches) made a decent living from what I received in the churches.

The other avenue to look at is a One night program where you basically do your show, inter mix a message through out and close with a powerful Gospel routine that leads to a salvation altar call...I close mine with a routine called the Power of the Blood Jesus, very powerful message, and a great magical moment but doesn't overshadow the message.

I do both types of programs and have a secular show too.

I'm more than happy to help in any way, just pm me or direct email me.

Keep the Faith!
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Wayne,

I can appreciate your situation. I agreed to do a couple of shows at a church where my friend is a member. The trip is 3 1/2 hours one way. When I agreed to do the shows, money was not an issue. But when the time for the show came, my wife and I had wracked up $4,000 in auto repair bills. We set up a spending plan in order to pay the $4,000 off in a year, and when it came time to do the show, the price of gas really stood out because we were going to have to go beyond our budget.

But our God is an awesome God. After I got back home, the church had sent a check -- something I did not request and something I did not expect. Wouldn't you know it, the amount was enough to cover the gasoline expenses.

I was blessed by having an opportunity to share God's message through mentalism and magic, and I was blessed by the congregation's generosity.

The whole situation showed me I have to be careful with the commitments I make because it can have an adverse affect on my family finances.

Terry has great insights, and since joining the Café I have found his advice thoughtful and insightful.

If we view what we do as a business, it will lead us to make decisions based on some sort of cost-benefits analysis. If we view what we do as ministry, then our decisions are based on whether or not God will be glorified and will the Kingdom be advanced.

I feel you and I are in a similar position, Wayne.

Best wishes on finding your path.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Thank you Bobby for your kind words...the bottom line, if God says go, He will provide. I have talked with several people who was afraid to jump in because of finances. As I said, if God says go, I have to go, and He will provide.

Keep the Faith!
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Yes, I think this will be a journey of faith, but then what better way to take the trip? God has always provided the way, so why doubt Him now? I thanked Terry in a PM for his words of advice. I am excited about the opportunity and what God is going to do.
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
You might look into hooking up with a Christian campus group and see about doing a tour through some college campuses. It would be a great evangelism tool for them to bring there friends to.
mrtricky
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
58 Posts

Profile of mrtricky
I appreciate the theme of this thread. Wayne, given what has already been addressed by Terry and Bobby, let me toss in my $.02: The direct answer to your question is: Yes, there is more than enough work for a Gospel presentation to ausiences that are not in the "children" category!

- Eric
marklock
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of marklock
I agree with Eric. For seven years I was a full time magician/communicator and was solely involved in ministry (to teens and college students, rarely children). While I don't make magic the main feature of my presentations any longer, I still get requests to do magic/illusions and there are many more doing them today than ever before. As long as the presentation is quality (and that is essential for college and teens) there is a need.

-Mark
Bryan Drake Show
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
125 Posts

Profile of Bryan Drake Show
Quote:
On 2007-11-09 13:31, Wayne Whiting wrote:
I have never done gospel magic before, but I am thinking of writing a script for an act. I don't want to buy books and DVDs on gospel magic, because I want to be forced to write my own material. I have been doing magic for 45 years and I have been a Christian for 30 years. The act I do now is not children's magic, so I would like to target an older audience.

My question is whether or not there is enough work out there to keep a performer busy. I know my motivation should be to share the Great Commission and tell others what God has done in my life, and that is certainly part of my motivation, but the reality is that gas is $3.00 a gallon!

Your shared experiences would be great.

Wayne

Youth camps are a fantastic place to do this kind of ministry. That is what my ministry is, I focus mainly on teen to adult audiences, and God has blessed us. It's all about what God's will is.
brownsentertainment
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of brownsentertainment
I agree, youth camps are a fantastic place for "ministry." Don't go there just to entertain them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Magic for Teens/College Students (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL