The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hockey
View Profile
Regular user
canada
107 Posts

Profile of hockey
Is the sponge balls effect worth it. Can many effects be performed? Do they get great reactions?
jr_illusion
View Profile
New user
USA
67 Posts

Profile of jr_illusion
Sponge balls are my favorite, just about the best.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Pick a sponge, any sponge...
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2914 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Sponges are a great prop. Keep in mind, that it's the presentation and your slight of hand skills that make it a great effect. It's especially nice because you use your spectator's hands and that's where most of the magic happens. THAT'S A GOOD THING!!

The routines are endless, limited only by your imagination. Why don't you start off with the video " 25 Tricks with Sponge Balls" It is only $10.00 and available through anyone who sells magic.

The KEY is the naturalness of your movements.
Practice this effect(as with all effects) in
front of a mirror, video tape yourself, try it out on family. Then and only then when you can do the routine in your sleep, and your slights are deceptive, should you perform for the public.

When you can fool yourself in the mirror doing
a Retention of Vision Vanish then you know you are at least on your way.

Yes, sponge magic is one of the most entertaing effects that I do, and yes, the reactions are worth the time and effort you hopefully will put into it.

David Paul Smile sponge ball
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Sponge balls are great for a number of reasons. They are easy to carry, require almost no set up, require sleight of hand (but not really difficult stuff)which I enjoy, allow many different presentations,and goes over great with kids and women. Men appreciate the routine, but I think kids and women will give you a bigger reaction.
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
444 Posts

Profile of Rick
Sponge balls were my first interest in magic and still are to this day you just cant go wrong with them a sure fire croud pleaser!
Have a ball,or two...lol.
Rick... Smile
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
Sponges are very versatile and highly entertaining for all ages. The possibilities are limited only by the preformer's imagination.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Basic sponge balls are good. And after you get the basic stuff down, you can add special moves like the banana move, or start looking for complete routines like Scott Guinn's Peanut Butter and Jelly, and Michael Sibbernsen's Technicolor sponge balls, give you a lot more specific purpose with them.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
nalu_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Paradise
297 Posts

Profile of nalu_magic
I like Brad Burt's teaching tape about Sponge Balls. It's very comprehensive and detailed. Earyl's routine is pretty good but I'd have to say that Scott Guinn's Peanut Butter and Jelly routine is the best I've seen. It has a routine that goes full circle. Great opening and closing....check it out.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I agree with these posts!
Sponge balls are my favorite trick. I was at a faculty field day (I'm a teacher), and I did a sponge routine to some teachers at lunch. They screamed at the top of their lungs three times, twice when they opened their hands and found an extra ball and last when the balls in my hands disappeared completely. Awesome response to an awesome trick.

Practice it untill it's automatic and have fun watching peoples reactions.

God bless,
Chad C.
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
A hint for sponge balls: use a wand! Since the balls won't talk against the wand, it is perfect misdirection while finger palming a ball.
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
hihi,

I would like to design my own sponge things...(e.g. sponge pigs) where can I find a dealer to make them? Please point me to the right direction. Many Thanks.

Hirase Smile
In love with magic!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2914 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
For the King of sponge artists you need to contact Eddie Ace... I will PM you with his contact information. He has made sponge figures for Lance Burton, David Copperfield, Paul Gertner and others. Superb quality..
Very nice guy too!!
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Preston Burt
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Preston Burt
Hockey, I will agree with the other posters, sponge balls are great fun! Be sure to get the 25 tricks video and maybe something fun like sponge rabbits to work into your routine later. Sponge balls are a magic standard, you can't go wrong.
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Daryl has a great sponge rabbit routine on his Fooler Doolers DVD #3 called Peter Rabbit Hits the Big Time. Wonderful presentation!
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
I have the Jay Sankey "Earplugs" set. Controversy over the reasons for using earplugs aside...it is a great resource for learning sponge moves, Especially for a beginner.

Mark Wilsons magic book also has a great sponge routine in it.
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Hirase Magic,
I would have to agree with davidpaul$. Eddie Ace's sponge products are the best.
I've been using them on a regular basis about five nights a week over the bar.
They hold up, are of great quality and are handcrafted. IMHO you won't be able to do any better.
Take Care,
Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Angus
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Angus
My first attempt at magic was spongeballs and Patrick Page's spongeball routine video. While it has evolved over time, it's still one of the best routines I do.
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
I've searched and found some interesting sponge tricks. Just want to share with you all.

1) The Miracle Rabbit from Magic by Gosh

The magician displays a red sponge ball and claims that he will actually make it disappear in front of the spectator's eyes. Slowly and methodically, he places the ball into his trouser pocket and claims, "It's gone!" After the groans have died down, he offers to do it again-this time for real. He places the ball on top of his left closed fist and pushes it down inside. When he opens his hand the ball is seen to have changed into a large (5.5 inches tall) sponge rabbit!

2) Morph Dog from Magic by Gosh

At anytime during his show, the performer produces a small sponge cube. He explains that while it might look like a square of sponge that it's actually an egg. He proceeds to incubate the mysterious egg and it morphs into a baby dog!

3) Pips A Poppin' from Magic by Gosh

The magician removes the four aces from the pack, displays them in a spread and places them on top of the deck. He explains that the pips on playing cards are actually a solid model which has been greatly compressed. After the understandably skeptical reaction from the audience, the performer offers to prove his claim. One of the aces is rubbed on the magician's left palm and when it's lifted away, a sponge spade has appeared and when the card is turned the spade pip on the card is gone! One by one, the effect is repeated with each of the three remaining aces in a variety of ways-the pips may be plucked from the card, scratched or slapped off as the magician chooses.

Using the four sponge pips, the magician then performs any of his favorite sponge routines, making them jump from hand to hand, even into a spectator's closed fist!

All four of the sponge pips are then placed into the magician's hand, he places his closed hand over the deck and opens his hand, quickly bringing out down onto the top of the deck. When he lifts his hand, it's seen to be empty-the sponges have disappeared! Upon turning over the top card of the deck, the Joker is seen-with the four missing pips strewn across the face!

4) Heart To Heart

The magician shows the Two of Hearts and then visually removes the two heart pips from the face, turning them into 1 1/2" sponge hearts!

He goes on to use the sponge hearts in a brief sponge ball routine which ends with the production of a jumbo heart!

and also sponge brick, sponge tooth, sponge egg, sponge hotdog, sponge rock

Just find one that suits you!

Hirase
In love with magic!
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Don't forget color changing ball to cube, All 4 one, growing ball, Go, Go, Gone, 3D Rabbits, color changing ball out done, growing ball, The Bananas and carrots...
I love them all, I'm sure there are more.
You have to switch things around every once and awhile for your repeat customers. Some times I cut my own, ghosts from white sponge for Halloween for example!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL