The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Which churh denominations..? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Toni_Magic
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
1 Post

Profile of Toni_Magic
Hello!
I would like to know which church denominations do not like gospel magic??
What is your exp.?
Thank you!
Toni
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Hello Toni. Welcome to the magic Café. This is a question I would like answered as well. I have a lot of Mennonite churches in my area and Church of the Brethern congregations. Don't know much about their faith and customs.

Wayne
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Westboro Baptist probably hates magic as they seem to hate most everything.

I don't think you can use quite so broad a brush as to paint a whole denomination as Anti Magic. I once did a show for a Mormon church and was told that they had a hard time getting me in because some of the Elders frowned on magic. I'm sure you can find a church of a particular denomination that would forbid a magician from performing while another of the same denomination would have no issue with it. It depends entirely upon the makeup of the church and whether those who don't feel magic shows are appropriate can be outvoted.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Well, Mormons frown on Pepsi as well.
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Southern Baptists love magic performance
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I hate to agree with Payne, but you will find some churches in probably most denominations that would frown on it, but that's okay, you're after the churches that don't. What exactly are you wanting to do, that will also make a big difference whether they want you or not.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Jehovah's Witnesses are against magic. For them, even 'illusion' is a sinister practice of 'deception.'
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 17:17, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses are against magic. For them, even 'illusion' is a sinister practice of 'deception.'

But since they oppose most holiday celebrations as well there have no parties to perform at anyway. Smile
dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
Terry and Payne are right on this....there are some in any denomination that would be against it, while there are many in most denominations that embrace what we do. Most of my programs have been for Southern Baptist churches and United Methodist churches. In my experience, if the pastor has actually seen a show performed (whether by me or another gospel magician) and understands what it is about, they will "smooth out" any objections with those naysayers (if there are any) in advance. A well-informed pastor who is trusted by his congregation is a great ally, and I always do all I can to be worthy of that trust in planning out a program, in what I say and the entire performance. In our area of the country, word of mouth often books more programs that fancy fliers or other promo material. About half the churches I perform for have heard about me from friends at another churh where I performed (sometimes of a different denomination). While some denominations may discredit what you do, most will not.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Oh what a sad day that Terry and Payne agreed...Oh what a sad day...lol
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 05:46, Terry Owens wrote:

It's only because I saw Andre Kole's show last Friday. Don't worry it will soon wear off and the balance of the universe restored.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 10:51, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 05:46, Terry Owens wrote:

It's only because I saw Andre Kole's show last Friday. Don't worry it will soon wear off and the balance of the universe restored.

Good thing Payne, the scales would wobble if you left our side!

As for performing for Mormons, I live in the middle of LDS Central, and I can tell you that only twice in 20 yrs have I run into a Bishop (head of a mormon ward (ward: church house)) who objected to magic as entertainment.
In fact, I would wager that Mormon churches have kept many up-start starving magicians fed during lean months. (Though they do tend to pay less than Catholic or Jewish shows... but I think that's a Utah thing.)
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
My first public show was in a talent show at a Mormon church spaghetti dinner.

My former stage manager, now a full-time pro magician, is a Mormon.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
My brother is a Mormon and the one time I was over at his house for Thanksgiving I showed his family several magic tricks and they all seemed to enjoy them and realised that they were a form of entertainment and not the Devil's work.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I have to agree with you on the Mormon aspect. I think especially when you get in the Mormon-Belt (Idaho Falls up through Salt Lake) and it is just part of the culture here.

I have many friends that are LDS and love magic just the same.

John
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 20:18, dbearden wrote:
..... A well-informed pastor who is trusted by his congregation is a great ally....

dbearden hit the nail on the head. Is it not our 'responsibility', in the marketing aspect, to educate/continually educate our clients? The focus is not so much the denomination, as many have pointed out, as it is the leadership of an individual group of congregats.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Quote:

Is it not our 'responsibility', in the marketing aspect, to educate/continually educate our clients?

No, not really. Unless this is your only venue. Otherwise I have found it to be a waste of breath. There are plenty of fish in the sea, and several ways to fry them. Smile
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
mrtricky
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
60 Posts

Profile of mrtricky
Perhaps a valuable addition to this line of thought should include, "earning the right to be heard". That is to say - sure, a pastor can go a long way toward easing any tensions... but it is (in my humble, but accurate opinion) OUR responsibility to rightly divide the Word, and present our ministry with care and consideration to those for whom we perform.

- Eric
theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
New to this section so forgive my intrusion...

Paul says in Corinthians 9 v20 - 23...

20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

We have to respect and love those we preach to which means that if magic is viewed as inappropriate it should not be used as a vehicle for the gospel... whatever our personal opinions are.

With Love in Christ

James Brown
England
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Amen...it is a case by case situation. We have to remember, if they are not receptive to your ministry, then you may not be called to minister to that congregation. In the 23 years I've ministered in churches doing Gospel magic, I've never had one church ask me not to do it. For the most part, those booking me knew what my ministry was about.

Let me say this to those who are thinking of working in churches, there is a big difference between doing a show, and having a ministry. You need to ask yourself, what is my goal in doing Gospel magic? As a ministry, my goal is to win souls, I'm so thankful that nearly 400 people have come to Christ through our Gospel magic programs, but I couldn't have done it without the Lord.

Some Churches may want entertainment, but in my 27 years of ministry (I currently pastor a church as well as serve as a District Overseer), I've never booked someone to come and entertain the church. I bring people in who will minister to my people.

Just some insight from a pastor who performs...

Keep the faith!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Which churh denominations..? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL