The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mental Frisbee - Nathan Kranzo (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I trust any review randirain gives implicidly. She definitely calls them like she sees them. What was all the debate about this effect any way? Some complained over price; others limited information. When in doubt, opt out of you choose to.

Wait until you have the information to make an informed purchase.

Kotah
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1130 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
For smaller venues, you could still use Nate's routine, but just use different objects to toss (say, different colored Nerf balls). Frisbees definitely call for larger audiences, but adapt the routine to different venues.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2848 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Yeah thanks for all your help with the PMs guys. LOL!

I agree with Doug. Adapt the routine to different vanues. I even mention an alternative in the manuscript.

I sought out special frisbees that are VERY light weight. Something like a NERF ball will do more damage. Had to learn this the hard way.

Part of the script actually covers this issue as this is the venue that I perform in most often. People seated at tables after dinner.

I'm not a big fan of performing while people are eating. I think its a waste of time for the performer and a waste of money for the client. But I guess if the fee is big enuff......ok nevermind. It diminishes you and is kinda rude to them. that's my opinion. that's just me. I don't want to compete with the Prime Rib nor should I.

I understand everyone is different and has different beliefs when it comes to this. And even when they aren't eating there will often be drinks and maybe even candles. (candles aren't good. Fire is bad).

I address the drinks in the manuscript and in the script.

If you want to know more about the script or the effect itself, the method, etc. It will all be obvious when you PURCHASE IT. : )

I'm happy to answer any questions in person at nathankranzo@gmail.com

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of AllanK
This is my first post, so please bear with me.

I performed Mental Frisbee for the first time on Saturday evening at a banquet show (after dinner!) - the reaction was sensational! Honestly, the laughs started straight away and just grew as the routine proceeded. The comedy readings really went over well, and there was an audible gasp when I showed that I had, in fact, predicted the correct color, which was followed by a huge round of applause. I went straight into the effect that Nathan recommends and used his blocking - the reaction to this was stunning!

I perform comedy magic and have done so for thirty years now. I did not perform this as an opener - I like my audience to see me do something visual and without audience participation as my opener. I used this as my "centre" trick and will continue to do so. The trick is very flexible and I feel it would work anywhere in an act - even as a closer if you use the follow-up effect.

There have been some comments on this thread about the trick not "reading" as being terribly funny - but that's the case with all comedy scripts. There's a big difference between reading, say, Neil Simon's play The Odd Couple and seeing it performed live on stage! You really have to analyze it to understand the motivation behind the lines in order to bring out the humor - that's what an actor does. This script is nowhere near as complex as a play - but you do have to put in some work if you're going to extract the humor that is there, waiting for you to exploit it. I worked on it for a few months before I performed it - obviously I had to rephrase things slightly so that it felt comfortable to me - but essentially I did as written in the script. Normally I would work on a trick for about a year before I feel comfortable enough to perform it, but for Mental Frisbee, the really hard work has already been done for you by Nathan. It is very funny and very baffling!

It is extremely difficult to find a mental trick that fits into a comedy magic act, but this one does. As soon as those colored frisbees start flying, the laughs start coming! The other big plus is that it takes up very little room and is very light. This is gold!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11693 Posts

Profile of John C
I performed The Red Carpet after reading thru it for two days and it played well. Since, I've performed it roughly 30 times.

It takes TWO months to get the humour out of Mental Frisbee? Why? Doesn't seem like a good value to me.

Allan, you have to work on a trick for a YEAR to get it right? Before you perform it? What type of trick is that?

So this is your FIRST post Allan. Welcome to the Café!

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Thanks, John. My first response and I'm defending myself already!

I never ever perform anything until I know that I have blocked it in such a way that I can extract the maximum humour from it and also cope with any conditions that come my way. I do not want any awkward pauses where I have to think about what my next move is or where I should stand. I want to appear to be in control and for every move I make to have a purpose. That is something I take very seriously. I also want the trick to fit in with the flow of the act and not to have to move things around between effects. It takes me a while to get comfortable with that.

My point about Mental Frisbee is that I felt comfortable to perform it in a much shorter time than anything else I perform. It wasn't getting the humour out of it that took time, it was my usual blocking process.

Let me give you an example from this routine that doesn't give anything away. The tag of one of the lines near the beginning of the effect is ". . . by using frisbees." I've got this timed so that on the word "frisbees", I suddenly have all 5 coloured frisbees in my hand in "Japanese fan" style, with my face peering over the top of the fan. It looks funny and brings out the absurdity of the line. The full line is funny anyway, but this adds something extra to it. I have to add "me" to any routine that I do, and that takes time. I'm certain that you could perform it in a couple of days if you wanted to - I just don't work like that.

For me, this was a bargain.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2008-05-08 20:33, AllanK wrote:
Thanks, John. My first response and I'm defending myself already!

Yes... Isn't this place just wonderful?
Magicians helping magicians.
Such a beautiful thing!

Welcome to the Café, and thanks for posting.

Randi
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2848 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Allank,

I had not looked at this thread for a while so please forgive me for not saying something sooner.

Thanks so much for your kind words. Its obvious that you are a working pro. I've found that this really is a love or hate type of routine. You either love it or hate it. For some reason it tends to be the real pros that love it. : )

I would love to hear how the effect is playing for you now that you've had more time to work it. Is it still in your current set?

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1059 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I just performed Mental Frisbee for the first time last night - 150 people in a community center. I modified the patter and some of the working details to fit my style but used Nate's basic structure for the effect.... It worked GREAT! It was everything I hoped it would be. This is a real worker. Lots of fun, great audience participation, funny, and leaves them mystified as to how it works. Who could ask for more? My friend videotaped the session, I will be making adjustments but I plan on using this in my regular stage act from now on.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Nathan,

I'm really loving it - it's so much fun and gets those wonderful "gasps" that we all love! I did email you my routine and some ideas some months ago and you did reply. (You probably haven't made the connection between my real name and my Username!) I still perform it this way, but, I'm playing around with following this up with a modified version of Devin Knight's Blindsight. I'm using 5 big envelopes, each containing a large coloured card. It plays like a chair prediction without the chairs! Mental Frisbee can set this up in a subtle way! I haven't tried it yet, but I'll email you the details when I've done a little more work on it.

Regards,
Allan
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Looking forward to receiving it.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2001 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
You are NOT really paying for props, you are paying for a well-scripted routine as fun opener. It is really that simple!
magicden
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
103 Posts

Profile of magicden
I would like to hear from anyone who uses this regularly and would love to hear from anyone who has modified the outs as I feel some of them are terrible and would not use them.
Got this cheap from ebay and I am glad I did not pay the full price as as I would have felt very ripped off.
I do like the idea of the routine but will have to think of other ways to present it.
cheers
den
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
There is an auction for this closing on ebay now and I was tempted to bid ... but the seller's feedback reveals that they have sold Mental Frisbee about 30 times since the end of last year. It could be a dealer with a lot of stock of this one effect - but they apear to be an individual rather than a shop and have sold no other magic items more than once. Could this just be someone who has found a cheap source for the frisbees and has made lots of copies of the instructions?

http://tinyurl.com/cxs7aj
Todd Bernard
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Todd Bernard
One just sold for $26.00 on ebay. It had only 2 bids.(lol) I was thinking about purchasing this but after reading the honest reviews (unlike Kranzo's sometimes sarcastic remarks towards those who give it a negative review):) I find that there is more worth in originality. Paying a crazy amount for someone elses routine just seems crazy. It sounds like some are having success after making modifications to it so it's true when they say "different strokes for different folks". I am a working magician but I feel more better if I came up with my own routine than paying for someone elses which may or may not suit my performance style. The only way I would find out is if I purchased it, but that's not a chance or short cut I want to take with my career.
Todd Bernard
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Todd Bernard
Here's a place where you can get nylon folding frisbee's with pouch customized with your logo on them.
http://www.flingprom.com/
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I believe the eBay seller IS Nathan Kranzo. At least he was the seller of the one I won there for a greatly reduced price.
Todd Bernard
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Todd Bernard
If it is Nathan, I guess anyone interrested in this can buy from Nathan on ebay for under $30.00 instead of paying $175.00. It sounds strange that Nathan would undercut himself so drastically though. Who knows, we all have bills to pay I guess.
Todd Bernard
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Todd Bernard
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 21:44, Nathan Kranzo wrote:
Allank,

Thanks so much for your kind words. Its obvious that you are a working pro. I've found that this really is a love or hate type of routine. You either love it or hate it. For some reason it tends to be the real pros that love it. : )

All the best,

Kranzo

(LOL) That's presumptious of you to think that only real working pro's love it. It's also presumptious of you to think that those who are not very fond of it are not working pro's. You might want to get your head out of the cloud. Smile

So, is that you actually undercutting yourself on ebay?
Todd Bernard
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Todd Bernard
I guess that mean yes! I guess it's not worth as much as you lead people to believe it is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mental Frisbee - Nathan Kranzo (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL