The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Pass and Peek: A mentalist's utility by Todd Landman--a review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
This download is available at lulu.com for around $13. (Depending, I suppose upon the rate of exchange between US and British currency.)

This is a well put together, well illustrated manuscript, effectively explaining the construction and use of the gimmick. The gimmick itself is a variant on an item recently published in The Magic Circular, and looks to be easy to construct if you can find the necessary items, one of which (as John Riggs will tell you) is becoming very hard to find.

My concerns are two fold:

1. As the item upon which this was based was only published in August of this year, I must question how much Dr. Landman has actually used this in performance because...

2. The working relies on a sleight which very few card workers, to say nothing of mentalists, could execute undetectably.

With several DIY impression devices appearing on the ebook market lately (Tommy Pad, Image Grabber) I'm not sure whether this one, all things considered, brings much to the party. It's not bad, but it's not great. I would suggest putting your money toward one of the other two items mentioned.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1956 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Thanks for the review. The sleight is done on the offbeat and is done when casually walking from one participant to the next. Remember, it is a stack of pay envelopes, not a deck of cards. The construction of the gimmick is such that is actually makes the sleight easier to execute. The principle has actually been around for some time. I do think the utility offers a nice alternative to the image grabber and the tommy pad, both of which are excellent, but cannot be used for sealed envelope Q and A in the way that Pass and Peek can be used.
Roni
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Roni
I am using this effect/item on a regular basis. The method is excellent and sure fire. It takes a second to re set. It is great for Walk around, Table Hopping and stage.
It always gets me a great response. The word Sleight I feel is not the correct term for what you need to do. It is more of a very small move that goes absalutley unnoticed on the move. I must add another comment and say that I have used it doing seating down close up without difficulty.
It is the simplicity I am usually after and I think Dr. Todd Landman managed to create a wonderful piece of Mentalism and better still share it with us.
Cheers
Roni
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
I got this the other day and quite frankly it's a great utility device.

Cheap and easy to make, and although I haven't tested it in performance yet (Will be this Saturday and Monday) I see no reason why this wont work.

The instructions are easy to follow and although Todd doesn't described the 'move', it's a common slight that most will know and he does reference where to look for it i.e. Royal Road to Card Magic. You don't even need to do the 'move' (a pass), and can simply casually move an envelope from the top... to the bottom.

All in all, a great, easy to make device.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Pass and Peek: A mentalist's utility by Todd Landman--a review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL