The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Recap Revisited (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
If you don't wear a watch, what's a strong ending to recaped? The cap in the ear is strong, but I don't think it puts the frosting on the cake. Any ideas?
truellusionist
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia PA
36 Posts

Profile of truellusionist
Hey Justin,

Well, you can make the pen and cap vanish as a whole (For example sleeving it after you pull the cap from out of your ear and placing it back onto the pen). If the pen belongs to them, reappear it and give it back! This altered ending phase should give you more room for creative patter as well.
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I wear a watch when doing this trick but don't always ditch the pen in it.
I will sometimes take the cap out of my ear put it back on the pen and say," and here is a souvenir." acting like I am going to hand it to them. Gets a good laugh. I just pull it back and they make a ewww face.
Give it a try
Shawn
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
Carl Coultier, in his video, Third Hand, did some interesting things with a pen...you might be able to incorporate it into your routine
cardz
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of cardz
I don't wear a watch either.

I just slip the pen into my jeans pocket as I show the cap in my ear. *hint: turn your body more and get the correct timing*

Bring out the cap. Show that the pen has vanished.

False transfer the cap and show that the cap has vanished.

Produce the cap from behind the spectator's ear, and, at the same time, retrieve the pen from your jeans.

Produce the pen from your cap as the original does.
Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
I don't wear a watch either. At the end of the routine I do a snap vanish of the whole pen as I pretend to break it over my right knee. I then all around vanish the whole pen and produce it from my left pocket... give it a shot, it works. Just be careful when you tap your right thigh as you're "looking" for the pen make sure it runs the long way behind your hand (for obvious reasons). This shouldn't be too hard considering the snap vanish puts the pen in that position anyway. Enjoy.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
My biggest problem with this trick is the Striking Vanish itself. Producing it from behind my knee is easy for me. I have the AOA Books and I have read the instructions and watched the Demo Video many times, but I still can't understand how Gregory Wilson does the Striking Vanish without even moving his left hand at all. Is there a better source for breaking down this vanish somewhere?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
Quote:
Is there a better source for breaking down this vanish somewhere?

David Williamson's book! And not for the striking vanish itself. Its full of wonderful ideas.
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
Do you guys have a place on the net where I can get instructions for the trick?
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
Honestly, I've done this trick a couple of times and I don't get good reactions from it. Maybe because the people I do it for don't like Pen tricks.
ferraroj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of ferraroj
Is recap published in a book or is it sold as single effect?
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
californian living in wisconsin
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
Wow, with all the extra ideas you guys have, we could come up with a "Recapped Revisited
...Again" routine! I am still working on getting this routine down (my hands aren't used to handling a pen cap yet) Smile

ferraroj, this routine can be found on Greg Wilson's "On the Spot" video. Will it ever come out on DVD???
EVENTVS STVLTORVM MAGISTER
kull_spider
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
115 Posts

Profile of kull_spider
Quote:
On 2003-05-18 20:05, chrismagic52 wrote:
Honestly, I've done this trick a couple of times and I don't get good reactions from it. Maybe because the people I do it for don't like Pen tricks.

I don't think that this is really a stand-alone trick by itself. It's more of a comedy piece which really demonstrates the art of misdirection. I usually do this trick as an opener before going into cards, and it does get the Smile rather than Smile
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
ferraroj:
This trick is on Gregory's 'Off the Cuff' video as well as his 'On the Spot' videos as
'Recap Revisted' where he goes over it again in a little better detail. I highly recommend either one of them. Every single effect is usuable which makes the videos well worth the price.

When doing recap: for the strike vanish, I point the tip of the pen at the hand holding the cap. I hold the pen cap in the direction it would be in if I was going to put it back on the pen. When you are in this position and you do the strike vanish, the cap makes a half rotation. This puts you in position so that you can put the cap on the opposite end of the pen using just your right hand.

This gets a great reaction because the cap vanishes the left, not only reappears in the right, but it is also on the pen. I do this strike vanish after I have done the one where it ends up behind the knee. Because the cap ends up in two different places, I don't think it is harmful to do the strike vanish twice.

For an ending to the trick: when you make the cap disappear and go in your ear, place the pen in your pocket when they are looking at you ear. Then, you bring the cap down to your other hand and immediately do the criss-cross motion with your hands together that Gregory suggests. Open your hands and show the pen is gone. Say "I know what you are thinking, the pen isn't here" and turn so they can see it isn't behind your ear.

When they are looking at your ear place the cap in your pocket. Do the criss cross hands again and make the cap disappear. Act surprised and say "Can I borrow a pen? I have a really neat trick I can do with it. I promise, you won't get it back."
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
californian living in wisconsin
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
For the striking vanish, check out what Sankey has to say about it. I think his method is very, very good and natural. I believe he discusses it on Sankey-tised volume one, but I could be wrong.
EVENTVS STVLTORVM MAGISTER
Psychosis
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Psychosis
Jay also discusses it on the Best Of volume 2 (Leaving Home). I think it's also on a video for Leaving Home by itself (but I could be mistaken).
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
Another cap in the pocket; I never thought of that. I do perfer the all around vanish, even if I am only able to get it 80% of the time. I will keep that in mind.
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Quote:
On 2003-05-19 21:58, ferraroj wrote:
Is recap published in a book or is it sold as single effect?

It's published in Harris' AOA.

Quote:
On 2003-03-29 03:20, Justin Flom wrote:
If you don't wear a watch, what's a strong ending to recaped? The cap in the ear is strong, but I don't think it puts the frosting on the cake. Any ideas?

Justin,
You can steal a second cap and do a Sylvester Pitch over and over so it appears the cap is multiplying. Then end with the cap changing colors on the last pitch. I've tried this and it gets a great response.
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
Some of the vanishes are just sleights where angles are key (I don't really like this)...I do the watch vanish at the end... Smile
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I have finally gotten enough practice in on this trick to the point where I have gotten very good reactions to it, and thus gained more confidence in doing it. I must have practiced this trick for at least 6 months (getting all the phases down) before I started attempting it on spectators outside my close family. But it has really been fun and paid off.

I still don't have the confidence I would like in doing Gregory's 3/4's across. Uggg! I have been practicing that one for over a year and still can't get it 100% even 5 times in a row. My own personal rule of thumb for tricks like this is being able to do it 10 out of 10 times without a major mistake.

But hey, thanks for the tip concerning the alternate behind the knee revelation.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Recap Revisited (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL