The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Origami - Will the Assistant Fit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scooter3333
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of scooter3333
I have been looking to purchase a pre-owned origami (Magic Auction or the like), as Custom Made will be cost prohibitive. Can someone advise if the "standard" Origami that one sees for sale would accomodate a 5'10" 145lb assistant? If that is unlikely, can you recommend a "box" or "base" illusion that would be more appropriate "off the rack" for that size assistant? I would prefer the budget stay in the $1000-$3000 range. I could message the individual sellers for specifics, but I was looking for other illusion ideas as well that might fit the scenario. Preferably surrounded, smaller venue, doesn't need to pack flat. Thanks in advance for the help to a first time poster on these boards!
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Well it may be out of your price range but my Konundrum Kube has been performed with a 6'-160 pound male. It looks impossible and it's mostly aluminum with a powder coated finish and build to troupe. Can be done under all conditions.

Jack
scooter3333
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of scooter3333
Thanks for the response Jack. I'll take a look at it!
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Most illusions that use bases are made for someone between 5"2 and 5'6" and less than 130 lbs...
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
I believe the main problem with your assistant's size for Origami will be the height, more so than the weight. I do not believe a person that is 5' 10" will fit. Depending on how the 145 pounds is distributed is what will make or break it. Also, while they may technically 'fit', their body type may not 'allow' for the piece to 'function.'

That was all ambiguous, but I hope it helps. This is from our personal experience.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
858 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hi Scooter,

I have a John Gaughn Origami that I bought new 15 years ago from John Gaughn. It is still a great illusion. The only other authorized builder is Bill Schmeelk of Wellington (who builds wonderful illusions!)

You will not get a used, authorized Origami for the $1,000 - $3,000 price range. They are usually snapped up very quickly on Magic Auction if they are in the $5,000 - $5,500 range.

I would invest in a Konundrum Kube from Jack Murray. Although I don't own one, it seems to fit your needs (budget and the size of your assistant). Everyone that I know who owns one seems very pleased. In many ways it leaves a similar effect on the audience.

Just my thoughts.

Lou
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
I'm 5'71/2" about 125lbs. We have a Wellington Origami. It took me nearly a year to learn to fit myself into it, my biggest trouble was getting back out once I did.
It is safe to say the Origami is intended for someone 5'4" or smaller. (I got lucky) Kevin is right it is mostly a mater of height. That said you won't get someone 5'10" into it without a crowbar. And even if you did she would be so uncomfortable it wouldn't be worth the cost of the illusion to keep doing it.

Morgan
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Let me go over this again .. a 5'10" girl to fit in an Origami illusion?? Simply impossible.

Hold on .. let me get this straight, you want to purchase a good used one for under $3000.00?? Another impossibility ... any authorized Origami Illusion holds it value pretty well, some where near the $5000.00 range for a used one.

I'd take a good look at what Jack has to offer, he's got some great practical illusions at reasonable prices. It's a good place to start.

Steve
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Steve...
You have it all wrong, a 5'10" girl WILL fit in a $3,000 Origami...ever seen the knock offs...The problem is these guys don't produce a second girl from it...LOL

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I could fit another whole illusion inside of those $3,000 Origami bases!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I'm a Ms. Morgan fan!!! Can we start a club for her??? Leave John out of it!!! LOL

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Syd is 5'4', 125 but she is FLEXABLE. And yes, the 'cup' size does matter. I tried doing zigzag with a woman with 38 D's and while she could 'move', the cup couldn't... blade burn under the.........
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
How did Pamela Anderson do it with Hans???

Jim
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
You won't be disappointed with the quality and service you get with Jack Murray's Illusions. I own the Web and very very pleased with the construction.
scooter3333
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of scooter3333
Thanks everyone for the great feedback, it saved me a lot of legwork. I should have been more specific in stating a "non" knockoff origami. Clearly most of those would accomodate the assistant along with a kid, two dogs and a parakeet, but I have an issue with people not receiving their creative due, not to mention the poor construction principles giving away a great illusion. If it doesn't show up in the price range, I'd rather pass. I figured the price range was "wishful" thinking, but you never know when a serious refurb might pop up. I've just always had a thing for that illusion. The Konundrum looks like a consideration, but still a little out of the price range. Any other illusions out their I might be missing that are a little more forgiving, yet still deceptive in construct that I might be missing? Thanks again!
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Ms. Morgan indeed knows about the business end of the Origami illusion. My girls and I were priviledged to get to meet with Morgan and John Bundy a few weeks ago, and they graciously gave us a mini-workshop on their handling of this illusion. My girls were thrilled to actually discuss the illusion with a pro who has done the illusion for several years, and our routine is already much smoother because of it. Thanks again John & Morgan!

Chris
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 15:29, jimhlou wrote:

Jim

Haahahahaha. That's hilarious!
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 15:29, jimhlou wrote:

Jim

she let the air out once in the box, then blew them back up just before the box was opened!!!!

JK

Jason
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Origami - Will the Assistant Fit? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL