The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bibles restricted again by China...YES they are. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
China announced a change in their policy uncovered last week by a Catholic group to ban the Bible from the Olympic Village. It was announced today by Chinese officials that the new policy is to allow only ONE copy per. This is thought to be an attempt to prevent the books from being given out to the local population.

Neener. Told ya so.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=10915

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureau......09a.html
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
A woman was jailed for writing 'jihad' poetry in the UK...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk......1648.ece

Now, she is a terrible poet, but jail?

Corona.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
As far as I know it has always been China's policy to only allow one religious text per person. It is after all their country and they can make whatever rules they wish.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My old neighbor several years ago went to China with two suitcases full of bibles to pass out, which is why they have that policy.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
That's why I don't wear underwear.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Josh
I went back and erased the change of under wear part because I knew you were lurking in the bushes.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Payne I don't give a rats patootie...the point is that last weeks post was authentic and I was 'busted' for a non authentic post. This policy has just been announced so who knows what the facts are from that bunch.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
If it's any help Doug I was not really convinced that your original post wasn't true. I had a feeling that it was as stated but that the Chineses gov would make a change once an out cry was heard. It is at least a step forward for them.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 16:37, Corona Smith wrote:

Corona.

They will come down on Z%L if the quality doesn't meet Gordon Brows Approval...don't worry, I'll send you some soap on a rope.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Sorry, but Doug's original post WAS inaccurate and untrue.

And the policy wasn't just announced, it is the same policy China has had in effect for a number of years (since at least 2006 (but probably even before that), according to one of the links on the page Doug referred us to).

Incidentally, my nephew and a niece have both been on missionary trips to China and have never had any trouble getting multiple copies of the Bible into mainland China. With the Bible readily available in electronic formats on laptops / PDAs / etc., China couldn't keep it out even if it wanted to.

You should look at the website Doug linked to, and see the reader comments there:

Published by: Alex
Shanghai, China 09/11/2007 03:19 AM EST
I'm a practicing Catholic and I live in China. While other Christian groups may have a hard time in the country as they are not recognized I guarantee you that Catholic followers have no such troubles. La Gazzetta published an incredibly unclear article in which it implied that Bibles are to be banned; this is NOT true. Since the beginning, the Olympic committee has made clear that distribution of religious items is banned, not the ownership. China is full of problems but such attacks based from unfounded SPORTS NEWSPAPER!! articles makes no sense. If you read up on what's going on Beijing has actually loosened greatly its regulations towards religious groups during the Olympics; an incredible step forward. Please don't propagate false information.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Here I come to defend Doug.... of all things.

His post was not untrue or inaccurate. He referenced a link, similar to the thread that refuted Dougs thread.

It seems that the answer lay between the two, so I would say the links might have been to sources that were inaccurate, but that doesn't make Doug a liar (Or untruer). Any more than it would make you one if your sources were inaccurate.

Also, I imagine that they could in fact ban bibles, and we just don't have the factual evidence (Some people don't tell the truth). Perhaps they are printing them as we speak and are going to insist that every attendee read it thricely.... Who you gonna trust, the liars, or the other liars?

WWJD?
What would Josh do?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 19:26, Josh Riel wrote:

His post was not untrue or inaccurate. He referenced a link, similar to the thread that refuted Dougs thread.

Well, I guess we have different definitions of untrue and inaccurate.

If I post a link to a story that is readily verified as being inaccurate (as facts in that Bible story were from the start), then I would consider the post itself to be inaccurate as well.

I'm not saying Doug was a malicious liar. Just that the information in his post was obviously inaccurate, as could be determined with just a little bit of fact checking.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
78% of Chinese people are allergic to bibles, so I don't blame them.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
...and the other 35% are allergic to Cows.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Balducci...Felix Unger

Notice I read the website I linked to that was the friggin' point...

I post stuff for conversation starters and FUN. You check the dam* things with a fine tooth comb but be sure and pull the stick out first. Hey John send him that stuffed shirt I lent you.

You remind me of a typical Orson Wells movie...just loads of fun.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 16:37, Corona Smith wrote:

Corona.

Hey, it could be verse...
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Oh...the accuracy you checked was ON the page I linked to was it not? ie: Reader comments? You're getting a bit predictable...and frightfully silly.

OH and thanks Josh. Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 21:51, Doug Higley wrote:
Balducci...Felix Unger

I post stuff for conversation starters and FUN. You check the dam* things with a fine tooth comb but be sure and pull the stick out first. Hey John send him that stuffed shirt I lent you.

You remind me of a typical Orson Wells movie...just loads of fun.

I'm amused how you always resort to personal attacks whenever someone disagrees with you or calls you on one of your posts (not just me, and not just in this thread). Glad you're enjoying yourself. You're awfully predictable yourself.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 21:51, Doug Higley wrote:
Balducci...Felix Unger

Notice I read the website I linked to that was the friggin' point...

Only if I get to stay unstuffed for a while.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I always have fun...as much as I can...I take myself about as serious as a thrid Josh...BUT I can spot one type a mile away. What type is that? The type that makes my New York come out...(oh, and complains about personal attacks after offering a dusguised one) I hope a stuffed shirt is the harshest ATTACK you ever experience..It's about the worst I can offer or care to give.

So you didn't find it humerous that you referenced the very link I used to show how it was the wrong info because it had the right info on it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bibles restricted again by China...YES they are. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL