The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Copperfield at MGM Grand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Did DC do his production of his grandfather's car?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2007-11-20 21:38, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Did DC do his production of his grandfather's car?

Yes.

The reviews I post here are for lay audiences (I like to post some of them here as well as my website for discussion) and I try to avoid mentioning specific effects.

That was the illusion where he screamed the bizarre "hug it" line. It was a very startling production of a large object.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

That's a future Copperfield classic. Right up there with Snow, Webster, etc.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I just wish that when I have a bad night, FOX News would show up and still call my show fantastic and talk about how great I was with my A-game on. That must be nice.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Could it be that Copperfield is fantastic to the general audience? I don't think he's playing for the two guys in the audience ith a complete set of Tarbell's. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-11-20 23:47, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Could it be that Copperfield is fantastic to the general audience? I don't think he's playing for the two guys in the audience ith a complete set of Tarbell's. Smile

A couple of years ago after a performance a spectator came up to me and told me that "I was better than David Copperfield".
I of course hanked them for their kind words but told them that "No I wasn't"
Upon hearing this a couple who were standing nearby said "Yes you are, we just got back from seeing Copperfield in Vegas and you were better than he was"

So yes, It appears that the general audiences are starting to notice his "off nights" as well.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-21 01:34, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-20 23:47, Kevin Connolly wrote:

A couple of years ago after a performance a spectator came up to me and told me that "I was better than David Copperfield".
I of course hanked them for their kind words but told them that "No I wasn't"
Upon hearing this a couple who were standing nearby said "Yes you are, we just got back from seeing Copperfield in Vegas and you were better than he was"

So yes, It appears that the general audiences are starting to notice his "off nights" as well.

Maybe when you get 30 years+ peforming at his level, you'll have more than one couple saying you're better than DC. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Well, in my opinion, if David want to move through his shows of automatic, he can. after all the great magic he's given us over 35 years he's earned the right to coast one his name a little. personally I think he's not done by a long shot and we may see some really big things from him in the future

the man is a legend and to me he'll always be king of the mountain. I just wish he'd release all of his tv specials on dvd. I transfered my old VHS tapes of his specials to dvd but the tapes weren't in good shape and the picture quality isn't very good at all
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 10:30, Darth Ewok wrote:
Well, in my opinion, if David want to move through his shows of automatic, he can. after all the great magic he's given us over 35 years he's earned the right to coast one his name a little.

I don't think the people spending a hundred bucks a pop would agree. LOL

Best,

Tim
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Hmm when he came here this year tickets were only about 45 bucks
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 11:22, Darth Ewok wrote:
Hmm when he came here this year tickets were only about 45 bucks

For $45 maybe I wouldn't complain. His show in Vegas is $97 a seat. ( over $100 with tax) http://www.mgmgrand.com/entertainment/hollywood-theater.aspx

Best,

Tim
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
He's going to be in my neck of the woods in late January. If I didn't have a REALLY fun gig booked, I would probably go. It's been about 4 years since I've seen him. My favorite thing he does now is the Lottery prediction. When I saw it, he didn't include the car production, so I'm dying to see it. Everyone is dead on about him constantly being compared to his younger self. My guess is that Lance will find a successor and retire, at least from the big Vegas show long before he gets to the point where people talk about him like they do David. "I remember when he was really good." (Lance, I'm available, CALL ME!)
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
I saw him here last year and he was great. I've seen him live three or four times over the last 20 years and I have my tickets for his show here in February. I can't wait!

D.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
I reread some of the earlier statements And thought about the last show I saw last spring. His portal illusion I thought was still very emotional, my wife had tears in her eyes. As far as the other illusions thye were terrific, but did not have that punch as on TV. I wasn't expecting that "punch" though, he had a little over an hour and I didn't want to see just three illusions. haha my mother commented about his TV shows, that he was always long winded and she wished he would just get on with the trick!

I am not familiar with the stage he is on now at MGM, but I am sure it is a sizeable one knowing Vegas. There are several articles that David has stated he is limited by what he can do because of stage constraints. So some things get cut from the show or the act gets changed to compensate.

I would have to agree with Tim too, I paid $120 for my ticket and I was entertained, if I wasn't I sure wouldn't be happy about it!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
JohnEBlaze
View Profile
New user
Maitland, FL
66 Posts

Profile of JohnEBlaze
He was supposed to do an entirely new act in Jakarta before all the legal troubles happened, sure is a shame that nothing came back to Vegas.
bronx
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of bronx
I think what upset me more than anything about Copperfield's performance was that he was simply 'phoning it in.' No fire, no passion, just a man marking his stage positions, doing his set pieces, and collecting his paycheck. I'm sorry, but I don't care if he is "in his 50s." I just saw Bruce Springsteen blow the roof off a concert hall a few weeks ago, performing like his life depended on it. For that matter, I just saw Aerosmith do the same *** thing ... at a CORPORATE gig for crying out loud.

And I have seen and been blessed enough to work with stage actors in their 60s and 70s who could absolutely devastate an audience with their power and grace.

My feeling is this: When you get to the point where you walk out on stage, look at your audience and think, "Oh brother ... here we go AGAIN," turn the heck around, take off your makeup, go home, and write your memoirs...
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Maybe if DC had an easy schedule like Springstein and Aerosmith is the key. Less is more. Then again, if the schedule were reversed, they would have been finished 20 years ago.

You really can't compare the two with Copperfield.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
One of our cohorts risked post-surgical complication and nasty freezing rain to attend a Copperfield show several years ago and is very happy he did. It was a wonderful show for all of us as well as the other audience members we talked to as they were leaving the theater afterwards. Mr. Copperfield works hard for his audiences to produce an amazing and memorable theatrical experience.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Dave Gerin
View Profile
New user
New York/Daytona Beach
55 Posts

Profile of Dave Gerin
I have seen grand illusion twice and felt that they were very cut and dry. I first saw DC in NY when he did Dreams And Nightmares and that was the best display of magic I have yet to see.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Copperfield at MGM Grand (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL