The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Ninja Series » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Evan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Evan
I bought Ninja 1 and Ninja 2 and have mixed feelings. I like the material, but the cost was very high. What are your thoughts of these videos?

Thanks,

Evan
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
The videos are overpriced. Smile Smile
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
The Ninja videos are simply a waste of money. You can get all of the material in those videos plus more if you spend your money on a good series of books. Also, the forums are full of 12 year old Blaine wanna-be's that think they know magic, but they have no clue. They are useless. We can help you with anything here at the Café. I hope this helps!
Daniel M. Carrico
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
If you buy 'Expert at the Card Table', 'Royal Road to Card Magic', and 'Card College' for about 35 bucks, then you will learn everything that's on Ninja One and Two, plus a lot more.

Quote:
On 2003-02-23 11:39, daniel1113 wrote:
Also, the forums are full of 12 year old Blaine wanna-be's that think they know magic, but they have no clue. They are useless. helps!

I have to dissagree. You get a lot of help. But there are many wanabes on ellusionist and also on this Café. You saying they don't know magic is just childish.
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
Ellusionist.com is aimed at blainabee. Their videos are overpriced rip offs of other peoples material and creations.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Yes, the videos are overpriced. I have heard some roumers that one guy got banned becuase he was bad mouthing on a nother forum. Im starting to disslike ellusionist. But when you start to say Bras sucks and stuff like that, then its just lame. You are not sticking to the topic.
Alphaproject2
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Alphaproject2
Quote:
On 2003-02-23 11:39, daniel1113 wrote:
The Ninja videos are simply a waste of money. You can get all of the material in those videos plus more if you spend your money on a good series of books. Also, the forums are full of 12 year old Blaine wanna-be's that think they know magic, but they have no clue. They are useless. We can help you with anything here at the Café. I hope this helps!

I'm not a huge fan of "Elusionist" (some neat stuff, but I've already studied most of the techniques), but if you're going to bash a whole set of almost 4000 members, at least make sure you're not one of them (I think I've seen some of your posts).

=============
Alex

Alpha Project 2- Heating it uP!
Homepage (coming soon): http://ap2.magicities.com/mypage.htm
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Essentially, we should not blast ellusionist for their ever-growing gang of wannabes simply because they use the Blaine hype to sell their products. It's not these guys' fault! Frankly, the only problem is the over-priced stuff they sell. If they sell them at a much cheaper rate, I don't think they'll be getting flak from almost all magic forums on the Web. Besides, what do beginners know about magic anyway? Everyone has to start somewhere. After all, you cannot expect a newbie in magic to know who is Darwin Ortiz or Paul Harris or John Bannon.
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Very well said Cheezycool!
William Holcomb
Alphaproject2
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Alphaproject2
Ahh I'm always in for a civil debate. I think that, although some of their past material (meaning..their new material is priced very fairly) is a bit pricey, it's the company's decision. Since they haven't lowered the price of their older videos recently, it must be working out for them.

I see it like that. In issues of pricing, like all businesses: sell it for what you think it is worth and for what your customers are willing to buy it for. Right? I've purchased their newest thing, Inside Magic ($20), and I'm pretty satisfied. Learned some new things, but most of all it was entertaining.

Anyways in address to the question presented by the original poster: I think the Ninja series is pretty good if you learn best by video. If you can go with books, you'd save some green; but whatever works for you.

=============
Alex

Alpha Project 2- Heating it uP!
Homepage (coming soon): http://ap2.magicities.com/mypage.htm
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I agree partly, the ninja video are overpriced, but most of the others are not, street magic and inside magic are definatly not. I think some people hear things about ninja and think that it applys to all of their videos. I want to see if just one person has either inside magic or street magic package and thinks that it is over priced. street magic teaches
a great ring off the string trick.
the throw vanish (aka tenkai toss).
spin change.
balducci levitation.
king rising.
salt shaker through table.
out of this world.
classic color change.
fans, spreads, coinrolls, coin prodiction or coinstar.
two more great card tricks that escape me right now.
burned.
my favorite cut to the aces trick.
an amasing buisness card off of the string trick, the card is spun to prove that it really is on (it REALLY is), and both ends are held by a spec, then it comes off intact.
card warp.
two more good coin tricks.
a neat way to print out a buisness card.
the bobo switch.
the floating dollar bill.
a card control.
Every one of these taught and explained very well, not like some videos that I have which just teach it once and very quickly. You also get to see a performance with each trick.
All of this and a forum to chat about the tricks, this is the only site that I know about in which you can post without the problem of exposure because it is password protected.

phew!
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
Hey guys,

Sorry for the harshness. I let my emotions overpower my logic. Ellusionist has come a long way since it released its first videos. Inside Magic is WAY better than the Ninja Series, both in terms of price and quality. However, it still has some work to do if it wants to be a reputable magic company (not that this is necessary by any means). Ellusionist is what resparked my interest in magic, and I am thankful for that. Although their videos are a bit pricey, this isn't why I left. I just got tired of the people on the Ellusionist boards. You can only answer the same question so many times before going crazy. I wish I would have spent my money on the Card College series instead of buying my four Ellusionist videos. I made this mistake and learned my lesson. I just don't want anyone else to spend their money on Ellusionist's products when there are many other better sources out there. I hope this all makes sense. Thanks.
Daniel M. Carrico
miracle
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
95 Posts

Profile of miracle
Well said, Daniel !

And Redstreak, I have all Ellusionist's videos, and I still think all their videos are overpriced, of course except for the newest one, Inside Magic, but I'd think the content of that video is just too simple to have a higher price tag.

Why ? Just because people can easily find other better (and much cheaper) ways to get the same materials.
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Oh man, what a can of worms. I have the Ninja series. Bought it on a whim after seeing it advertised. I agree, the tapes are very overpriced for the content. However, I do not fault the Ellusionist team for marketing a product people are willing to pay for. I think the plus side of the Ellusionist phenomenon is the potential for some of the Blaine wannabes to actually gain an interest in and respect for magic other than "In Your Face Street Magic." Sure, the majority want to spend ten minutes, learn a trick, and run out to impress their friends, but having been on the forums, I know there are a few individuals who are genuinely interested in magic, and improving others knowledge base. Of course you do have to wade through a lot of Dude,u r 2 kewl,4 words posts, even though the moderators do encourage proper english!
I think your money is better spent on books; and the DVD's by Ammar, and Daryl are better in terms of content.
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
gandolf,

I agree Smile
Daniel M. Carrico
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Well, videos in the end are a good start, no doubt about that. But make sure you progress on to books and different ideas, personalising your magic along the way. Don't just be a David Blaine!
John McCormack
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of John McCormack
The only thing that bothers me is the way some people on this forum use David Blaine's name with complete disrespect, that's how it looks.

David Blaine is a good and a very sucessful magician, his reactions from his spectators justify the former, his million dollar contract justifies the latter.
He is a magician, and he has love and passion for magic like many of us so please try to treat him as you would treat any other sucessful magician or you yourself would like to be treated?

David (as far as I know) doesn't endorse Brad's products, they use him as an advertising gimmick, and IMO that is discraceful (as well as the theft of tricks/routines/ideas, but that's another story).

When I started in magic (four years ago) David Blaine inspired me, and I haven't heard of Brad and that until now. I went to my local library and borrowed a book on card tricks and that was my beginning. If someone in truly interested in magic they won't need dragging into it by advertising, they will be inspired into it just like I was by David Blaine.

I must admit though that I did imitate David in the beginning because he was an inspireration to me, it's just human to want to copy someone who inspires you for a bit but hopefully these paticular newcomers will realise that imitation isn't the art of magic and will look at David Blaine as an inspiration and not just someone to mimic.

As for the videos, I haven't seen them so I can really comment on them fairly.
I've heard that Brad does teach the mechanics of the tricks well and there are some good individual tricks on the tapes so I guess it's up to you to look beyond the love hate Brad thing and learn the paticular things you want from the tape if they appeal to you.

Personelly, I woulden't buy the tapes myself.
There are IMO better products to spend my magic budget on.

Take it easy,

John.
lewis
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of lewis
Oh no. I cried all night when I bought these. Smile
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
Well they have their ambitious card routine video on the way, i bet that will make it into "the good the bad and the garbage" forum. I agree it is expensive but i have learnt a lot from their stuff and the SMP does have some hard hitting material in it.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Like many others here I have purchased the ninja and street magic tapes. I was very dissapointed with them in terms of the material and the lack of information on presentation, misdirection etc...

Any beginner video or book should contain an ample section on the more important parts of magic(performing and misdirecting). I also don't like the idea that they run their TV commericals during the blaine specials, that's just inviting thousands of people with no intention to ever do magic to buy their product and learn secrets that they would otherwise never know.

Don't even get me started on the prices Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Ninja Series » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL