The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Yet another China thread ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Big Jeff, I assume you are referring to the San Jose fans booing the Canadian anthem...yes it was classless.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Not to play the "Shut up guys" card..... but To say that all Canadians hate America is like saying all Americans hate Canada.

I certainly hate Canada, but it's more a religious thing. However, most of the people I know don't. I'm certain the same can be said for Canadians.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Geez Josh. That's what I was trying to say without being so blunt. You've gone and ruined all the fun. If you weren't from Washington, I'd have to hate you.

John
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Now, now, now, there are plenty of very good reasons to hate me. Don't just give up.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have been to a great many San Jose Shark games and seen them play Canadian teams. In every case the fans sang the Canadian anthem and applauded. I believe the booing came in response to the Canadian booing at the Junior Hockey game that got lots of news coverage in San Jose. There is a big difference, the Canadians were booing in pure dislike for the United States team and doing so was completely out of line. The San Jose fans were booing to show the Canadians what it felt like. Fortunately I believe the Russians on the Canadian team were not insulted at all and, perhaps, agreed with the booing.

If it makes you feel better I've seen San Jose fans (who, by the way, know nothing about hockey, neither do I, I loved going to the games though) were sincere when they boo the Anaheim Ducks.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm also from Washington...only I'm from the part further South and uglier than where Mr. Josh is.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfga......_id=5295

and

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfga......_id=5258

Excerpt:

On NOT booing the anthem

Granted this isn't up there with the domestic spying controversy, but there has been quite a bit of interest so . . . let's put the national anthem hockey controversy to rest.

As you may recall, San Jose Sharks' fans boo ed the Canadian national anthem last Sunday in San Jose. Their excuse was that they thought they'd heard the Canadians booing during the American anthem in a game in Edmonton the previous Friday. Those who were at the Friday game either said they didn't hear the booing, or that because a "crowd'' microphone was used, the San Jose TV broadcast actually picked up boos that were the result of showing the image of Sharks' star, and Canadian, Joe Thornton on the video screen.

It turned out to be a controversy with legs. Media outlets on the East Coast weighed in, San Jose mayor Ron Gonzales called Edmonton mayor Stephen Mandel to apologize, and the stage was set for Wednesday night's Game Six in Edmonton.

Would the angry Canadians respond by booing back? And what if the Sharks won and the series came back to San Jose? Would the Sharks' fans step up and show some class or would they live down to the expectations of those who think hockey fans are Neanderthals with season tickets?

No worries. Everything is fine. Well, except for that part about the Sharks folding up like a cheap pup tent and blowing two-game lead. By losing, two-zip Wednesday night the Sharks are eliminated from the playoffs and we don't have to worry about who's booing whom in San Jose.

In Edmonton, however, they are claiming the moral high ground. And you have to hand it to them, the 16,000-some fans did come through. When singer Paul Lorieau began the "Star Spangled Banner,'' they stood, waved silver pom-pons (I'm not really sure what the significance of that was), and cheered and sang along so loudly that they actually drowned out the song.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-17 00:12, MagicSanta wrote:
There is a big difference, the Canadians were booing in pure dislike for the United States team and doing so was completely out of line. The San Jose fans were booing to show the Canadians what it felt like.

How in the world do you know these people's motivations? Maybe Jim Callahan should stand aside and let Magic Santa take Criss Angel's money.

Seriously, though, in all your bombast, you continually claim to know why other people do the things they do.

John
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-17 00:15, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm also from Washington...only I'm from the part further South and uglier than where Mr. Josh is.

And that explains why you're only occasionally cool.

John
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I was talking about the fans at the Junior Hockey World Championship in Grand Forks ND, About 100 miles from winnipeg. They booed the US anthem and where loudly and rudely booing the American Team in every game. My cousins were there. I don't boo during the canadian athem I just don't stand up.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
How in the world do you know these people's motivations? Maybe Jim Callahan should stand aside and let Magic Santa take Criss Angel's money.

Because I am from San Jose, lived there for about 30 years (moved last year) and attended many of those games you speak of. Based on your statement the fans at San Jose Sharks games boo the Canadian anthem. Since you only know what you were told on the news I am telling you that I have gone to many games since the Sharks first started playing (at the Cow Palace) and many of them against Canadian teams and I'm telling you that the fans never bood the anthem. The only time that occured was after Canadians bood at the kids game, that was shown on the news in San Jose. Now lets do some pondering here.....fans don't boo anthem and in fact sing it and applaud at dozens of games against Canadian teams. The Canadians wildly boo the US anthem, an act that was shown on the news throughout the US. At a game there after the Canadian anthem was bood, that was also on the news. Now let us see if we can figure out the motivation...hmmmmm....this may take some time...very difficult to figure out why a crowd of civil people would suddenly go from singing to booing then later back to singing. I wonder what event took place that could have influenced that....wait....no, I just can't figure it out. Can you sir?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ahhhh...the Oiler booing. Here is what another article said:

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose Sharks fans loudly booed the Canadian national anthem Sunday night before Game 5 of their team's second-round playoff series with the Edmonton Oilers.

The vociferous booing started from the opening notes of singer Annmarie Martin's rendition of O Canada. While other fans attempted to drown it out by singing along, the boos were audible until the final notes.

Pregame anthem booing was a hot-button issue in sports shortly after the beginning of the war in Iraq, with fans in Chicago's Wrigley Field, Montreal's Bell Centre and other arenas booing their neighbors' anthem from 2002-04.

There was no apparent political motive for the booing in San Jose -- just a questionable expression of the fans' dislike of the Oilers, who won the last two games in Edmonton to tie the series at two games apiece.

The Shark Tank fans didn't boo O Canada before the first two games, and fans in Edmonton didn't boo The Star-Spangled Banner last week.

It still stands that most the time the San Jose fans sing the Canadian anthem.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-17 02:27, MagicSanta wrote:
Ahhhh...the Oiler booing. Here is what another article said:

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose Sharks fans loudly booed the Canadian national anthem Sunday night before Game 5 of their team's second-round playoff series with the Edmonton Oilers.

The vociferous booing started from the opening notes of singer Annmarie Martin's rendition of O Canada. While other fans attempted to drown it out by singing along, the boos were audible until the final notes.

Pregame anthem booing was a hot-button issue in sports shortly after the beginning of the war in Iraq, with fans in Chicago's Wrigley Field, Montreal's Bell Centre and other arenas booing their neighbors' anthem from 2002-04.

There was no apparent political motive for the booing in San Jose -- just a questionable expression of the fans' dislike of the Oilers, who won the last two games in Edmonton to tie the series at two games apiece.

The Shark Tank fans didn't boo O Canada before the first two games, and fans in Edmonton didn't boo The Star-Spangled Banner last week.

It still stands that most the time the San Jose fans sing the Canadian anthem.

I like the optimism of the final paragraphs. Fact is, boors are everywhere.

John
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-17 02:06, Big Jeff wrote:
I was talking about the fans at the Junior Hockey World Championship in Grand Forks ND, About 100 miles from winnipeg. They booed the US anthem and where loudly and rudely booing the American Team in every game. My cousins were there. I don't boo during the canadian athem I just don't stand up.

Fans in Grand Forks booed the US anthem? Google turns up nothing. But I'm glad you are fighting back. That will teach whoever was in the stands at a game you didn't attend for doing something your cousin told you about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44P8C4VJkN4&feature=related

John
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I saw else where that our friend Balducci brought up that two Hispanic names are on the top ten surnames in the US. Since the Spanish came to the region several hundred years ago that shouldn't come as a surprise....I happen to like the hispanic community. While I don't do searches on Canadian things to target as Bal does US ones I decided to check the top ten surnames in Canada. Interestingly they govt of Canada doesn't issue that information, they don't want to hurt anyones feelings I guess. The record does exist as taken from phone books etc and separated as "Canada" and "Quebec", we will forget Quebec at the moment. The most common last name in Canada.......Li. Two other Asian names appear in the top ten as well. Congrats to Canada, you are now an Asian country, no wonder your strong attachments to China.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

We welcome immigrants from all countries. Nobody seems to think that the sky is falling.

But if you really want to say horrible things about Canada, do a google search on the name Robert Dziekanski. His death while being subdued by the RCMP has brought forth equal amounts of rage and shame across the country. Feel free to say mean things; they will pale in comparison to the things we are saying ourselves right now.

John
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2007-11-17 13:56, MagicSanta wrote:
I saw else where that our friend Balducci brought up that two Hispanic names are on the top ten surnames in the US. Since the Spanish came to the region several hundred years ago that shouldn't come as a surprise....I happen to like the hispanic community. While I don't do searches on Canadian things to target as Bal does US ones I decided to check the top ten surnames in Canada.

Man, you are such a jerk, twisting words and spinning events to match your shallow view of the world and the people in it. I mean, what was the point of your rant except to insinuate that I have something against Hispanics?

If that wasn't your point, then I hereby apologise for misreading your intent.

I only initiated those searches because Doug mentioned something about baby names in different countries ("they lost both our countries and is about to lose another etc.") and so I was interested in reading more about the subject. In fact, he is the one who suggested looking up the most popular baby names in the U.K. Since he mentioned "our countries" it made perfect sense to look up stats for America and Canada as well.

So why don't you criticise Doug for initiating that line of discussion and "targeting" groups in the first place? Why don't you ask Doug what he has against Muslim people named Mohamed? (I'm not saying he does, but if you are going to pick on me for mentioning Garcia you should pick on him as well.)

I'm sure that Doug and I both appreciate the Hispanic and Muslim communities.

As for baby names in Canada, I did do a google search for that. Unfortunately, I could not find an on-line data base as good as the one for the U.S. or U.K. on-line.

You are right there are many Asians in Canada. In particular, we welcome immigrants from China in such a way and to an extent that some other countries do not. So it makes perfect sense that "Li" "Lee" "Chan" Cheung" are very popular in Canada.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2007-11-17 13:56, MagicSanta wrote:
I saw else where that our friend Balducci brought up that two Hispanic names are on the top ten surnames in the US. Since the Spanish came to the region several hundred years ago that shouldn't come as a surprise....

Actually, it is surprising insomuch as it evidently took several hundred years for those names to crack into the top 10. Why did it take so long? And it is rather amazing that "the number of Hispanics living in the United States burgeoned by 58 percent in the 1990s to nearly 13 percent of the total population". That is an incredible demographic change in just a few short years.

Those are amazing and surprising statistics no matter how you spin it.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
This thread really accurately the strength of symbols and the dangers of putting too much meaning behind them.

You have two countries, American and Canada, who, on a global scale, are very similar in culture and values. And whilst many differences exist, there is no real reason for any significant tension between the nations.

And yet, there manages to be an ideological struggle about who booed who at whose sporting event. Consider the following quote for everybodies favourite pinko, leftie tree hugger, Noam Chomsky:

" But the point is, it does make sense: it's a way of building up irrational attitudes of submission to authority, and group cohesion behind leadership elements -- in fact, it's training in irrational jingoism."
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Once again the animals were conscious of a vague uneasiness. Never to have any
dealings with human beings, never to engage in trade, never to make use of money— had not these been among the earliest resolutions passed at the first triumphant Meeting when Jones was expelled?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Yet another China thread ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL