The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » HORROR Job of the 21st Century (ie: Now) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Battle-scarred 'sub' teacher in L.A. barrios speaks out

Posted: November 16, 2007 World Net Daily
1:00 a.m. Eastern

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/articl......ID=58713

"The country should take notice that teaching has become a very dangerous job and that my life as a teacher is very, very, cheap." "The schools are a mess, filthy, dilapidated and without supplies. The students are dangerous, disrespectful and out-of-control."

If you want to know the State of The Union and the future...here is a real Horror Story for you. I suppose the smart asses here will find some humor in it but I sure don't. It is just one teachers complaint but for those who haven't a clue how bad it is in these ghettos might read for clues...others can read to feel fortunate you can live without being in this situation...as a teacher or an inmate.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Ignoring the slant that particular page takes..... And realizing that this is not a countrywide epidemic (Perhaps I should add "Yet"?) and that it is a very bad part of our little town called America. Also understanding that our Union
is not the only place affected by this shift in responsibility.

I would say that this is unacceptable. We (No one politic is singularly guilty) are spending money on garbage and letting places like these go to hell. We have the money to have a real police force on hand, this is a government building, why aren't we defending it? These are government employees, if I threaten the lady at our local landfill I can go to jail for 5 years. We are being infected by stupid. It is a terminal disease caused by severe laziness.

It's O.K. though, as it is a self correcting problem. Eventually our stupidity will become so great we will lose every safety and comfort we enjoy and we'll have to fight to get it back. Of course then we will become lazy again.

You'll like this Doug. This very thing happened to the Babylonians and the Romans...
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Anyone with first-hand experiences like this? Is it true? Is it LA-specific? I have a hard time believing that this is a nation-wide trend.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I was waiting for that! haha (Actually is why I posted it. haha.)
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
It isn't a nationwide trend. But there are pockets of ickiness. Unnecessary pockets of ickiness.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
John sadly...there is leaching of various intensity into smaller areas yes. The drugs and drug gangs seem to have a presense all over the place and in the darndest places. Local punks think it's cool to be dirt bags. Now with the influx of ILLEGALS coast to coast and those millions having more millions of kids without direction, the gangs are growing expotentially...also the degrading lifestyle is being supported by the media, music and TV.

Los Angeles is NOT all that way of course...there are boundries though one must not cross or get caught in. We go to LA often...we just know which Exit not to get a flat tire near.

The answer will eventually be Private Security of a high level of training and weapons procurement.

The LA School system howver should adopt Orwell's phraselogy and just admit it..."Ignorance Is Strength"

Public School is no longer an option.

BTW: When I posted this "I was waiting for that! haha (Actually is why I posted it. haha.)" I was posting to Josh and the Romans...not John.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
This is pretty much what got Sylver out of teaching. She couldn't teach, just act as a police officer when she was working in an inner city middle school. She was called names, given no respect and treated generally badly by most of the students.
She was an art teacher with no budget, and most of the supplies were reduced to scrap paper and popsicle sticks. She got through to a few good students, but most...All she could do was wish them luck.
This has no bearing on how good she was as a teacher. It was the atmosphere of the school itself. Other schools, she had no problem.
If you take an inner city public school on the "Wrong" side of town, take away it's funding and resources...
It falls apart.
It is indeed sad, and more than a little frightning.
Gwyd
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 15:21, gsidhe wrote:
This is pretty much what got Sylver out of teaching.

Well, that and the fact that it's a lot more fun making $ by twirling flaming balls around and standing on your boyfriend's head while his face is smashed in a pile of broken glass while onstage Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4056 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I taught high school, back in the early 90's.

When I needed to straighten a kid out, and my methods did not work, I called the parents. You found out real fast if the kid would get in line or not. Strong parents cared, lined up their kid, and told me to call them ANYTIME if I needed to. Kids without strong parents usually didn't change. Their parents were too busy, tired or whatever to do anything.

I had very good success in turning things around in my subject at school. I taught at a "good" school in a "good" neighborhood. Even with that, teaching wasn't for me. I can only imagine what other teachers go through.

There is no excuse for a teacher feeling unsafe. PERIOD.

This is one of those issues, like prison rape, that gets swept under the rug. Everyone knows what happens, but no one will really try to see that it ends.

Teachers and prisoners - 2 "groups" that are easy to ignore.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 15:27, Marvello wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 15:21, gsidhe wrote:
This is pretty much what got Sylver out of teaching.

Well, that and the fact that it's a lot more fun making $ by twirling flaming balls around and standing on your boyfriend's head while his face is smashed in a pile of broken glass while onstage Smile

There is that too...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4056 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The line from the article that really summed it up stated that the administration was afraid of the students.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 14:50, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Anyone with first-hand experiences like this? Is it true? Is it LA-specific? I have a hard time believing that this is a nation-wide trend.

John

Former substitute teacher ringing in here! While incidents I experienced were not to the level as what was stated in the article, I had my share of experiences. I took a class out one day for P.E., a fight broke out, and I could do nothing to stop it because I was given explicit instructions "DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUT YOUR HANDS ON A STUDENT!" I have been accused of being prejudiced against two African-American students because I kept telling them to be quiet. I have lost control over classrooms and had to call the office for some help before either one of the students or I got hurt. I was walking down the hall one day, and got hit in the face by a student who thought "gee, it would be fun if right now I spun around like a propeller!" I had one first grader tell me not to walk down one hall because he put a bomb in there and it was going to go BOOM! Later, that same student said his brother was bringing a gun to school for him. The most disturbing incident was when I caught a FOURTH GRADER....uh...pleasing himself in the back of the classroom. Do I think the article stretched the truth? Not in the least! In my opinion, teachers should get hazard pay!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
And afraid of Political Correctnes by not identifying the actual problems and the reluctance to SOLVE what needs to be solved because of Political Correctness.

Some hard choices need to be made and the cancer cut out. As in most all of American Society these days it is a lack of leadership with COURAGE or leadership with the balls to risk offending the power groups with agendas other than the kids welfare.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Teachers can't do anything over here these days. Can't even call a kid naughty. Silly name for a kid but still...
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 16:03, Doug Higley wrote:
And afraid of Political Correctnes by not identifying the actual problems and the reluctance to SOLVE what needs to be solved because of Political Correctness.

Some hard choices need to be made and the cancer cut out. As in most all of American Society these days it is a lack of leadership with COURAGE or leadership with the balls to risk offending the power groups with agendas other than the kids welfare.

Call me 'Mini Doug'!
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 16:03, Doug Higley wrote:

I remember this fortune I got in a fortune cookie one time..."Please all and you will please none." I think that's what's going on in society these days. We are trying to "please all" and the result is that "pleasing none" is occurring. When I got accused of being prejudice against those two girls, I admitted, "Yes, I am prejudice...against those who don't know how to follow the rules I set."

I judged a science fair one time, and one entry looked like it was put together fifteen minutes before the student arrived at school. The teacher grades the projects according to the reviews of the impartial judges. That student got a failing grade. The student's mother came up to the school and yelled at the teacher "how dare you give my child a failing grade!" I was contacted by the teacher, told about what was happening, asked if I remembered the project, and was asked if I could write up specifically what I thought of the project. I did, as did a couple other judges. Despite what the impartial judges had to say about a shoddy science fair project, the principal made the teacher change the grade to a D (it wasn't failing) because the parent said that she was going to go to the school board, talk to a lawyer, and all such nonsense because the teacher was treating her child unfairly because she was black.

My child fails, he has to live with the failing grade...and the multiple lectures from mom about how he needs to bring his grades up...and mom standing over him watching him do his homework...and the constant peppering of questions about the class he was failing...and the ultimate threat of going to the school and sitting with him in class one day (I haven't yet had to do it, but I will if it comes down to it!).

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I still don't understand why they are not treated like every other government employee. You can't treat any other government employee that way, without serious trouble. We have the resources, we have the laws. The laws are posted at our dump for goodness sake....
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 14:03, Doug Higley wrote:
Battle-scarred 'sub' teacher in L.A. barrios speaks out

Posted: November 16, 2007 World Net Daily
1:00 a.m. Eastern

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/articl......ID=58713

"The country should take notice that teaching has become a very dangerous job and that my life as a teacher is very, very, cheap." "The schools are a mess, filthy, dilapidated and without supplies. The students are dangerous, disrespectful and out-of-control."

She should have stuck with screenwriting. She authored some episodes of The Incredible Hulk and Superboy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migdia_Chinea_Varela

I was in L.A. (well, Hollywood) a couple of weeks ago. One of my taxi drivers told me that no one goes into L.A. if they can help it, and that there are 50,000+ homeless people (mostly mentally ill) roaming the greater L.A. area.

I have no idea if that statistic is accurate, maybe someone here can shed light on it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Since we're all serious in this thread and everything, I'll say that things are not much better in Germany. I did a six month stint in a public school here, and about 98% of my energy was spent on trying to get the kids to shut up.

But even at the college level, where I do most of my teaching now, I've noticed a trend in the last few years. The kids just can't keep their mouths shut when someone else is talking, whether it is the teacher of one of their peers asking a question or giving a presentation or something. There is a constant rumble of noise.

It is rude and disrespectful. And new. Hey, fifteen years ago I had kids sleeping in my classes, but they never talked while I was talking.

Of course, here in Goettingen we don't have any gangs. The kids dress like it, but they aren't. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » HORROR Job of the 21st Century (ie: Now) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL