The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Exposure of Dakota Chair this week (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
On Turner Classic Movies in one of Charlie Chaplan's movies "The Circus" it basically exposed the Dakota Chair in one of the scenes of the movie...did anyone else see this?
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
The SAM will be outraged, Im sure they'll ban Charlie Chaplan from doing any future magic in any of his new films. I hear they are also coming out with talkies and Al Jolson may star!

Before the 1920's end, we must stop exposure. This is 1928 for goodness sake. I can't make Hardeen understand this internet thing, since it doesn't exist yet, but I'm sure he could make demands and work with Dai Vernon and the others that could make sure exposure wont happen in the future.

I mean, what if this video with Pictures they are calling tele-vision comes to be. Im sure some magician will put on a mask and reveal all of the illusions.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Chaplin's Movie has already had a bad influence. The De Kolta chair is also exposed in the 1982 movie "The Escape Artist." And the consultant for the movie was Harry Anderson! Magic is ruined forever! I shall wear a paper bag over my head and look down at my feet for the rest of my life!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As an old cowboy, I've seen bull riding exposed on TV too.

Tried it? I'm certain automobiles will soon be abandoned for transportation. Bulls run on grass!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
513 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Ridiculous jokes - ricker.

That wasn´t meant by Terry. It was only a statement of an interesting fact - and yet without any complaint about it by him.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
I know, it's just sarcasm. Smile. Just making fun of the others (not Terry) that think the sky is falling if something gets exposed.

I don't like exposure either, but I refused to give it any lip service, since if we stay quiet, it just goes away.
thefifth
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thefifth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vIlg3D-HSk&feature=related

The bit begins at around 1:30. The man was funny, but Buster Keation was Better!
[email]info@williampenix.com[/email]
www.williampenix.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That is no more an exposure of the De Kolta Chair (in the Chaplin film) than the one in "The Escape Artist." They expose trap doors and holes in the platform and secret passages from one to another. The Chaplin film doesn't show the workings of the chair, and the Escape Artist has a fabricated version of the chair.

Modern versions of the De Kolta chair vanish don't even need trap doors anymore. Illusions that still require trap doors to be cut into the floor of a stage are becoming extinct and only work in movies about old time magicians like the Illusionist and The Prestige. Time to focus on what's new and improved.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Thanks to thefifth for the video link. I had never seen this silent classic.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Thank you Joy Joy...

It is a good movie Christopher...

What would it have been like with a "Silent" Magic Café...lol
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
I don't believe that clip gives much away if any - no where near my DeKolta chair routine.

The problem with most movies (silent or talkies) is they they usually don't care if they expose magic or not - it is just incidental to their main mission - to make money.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Exposure of Dakota Chair this week (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL