The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Would you use this effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
CesaralM
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of CesaralM
Mr. Ree,

Regarding your point 1), that is one of the reasons why I advice to use the clear plastic bubble for the second part of the effect in which you give the bulb to an audience member. In this second part the bulb glows for a longer time, and thus that detail you mentioned can be "covered" by this justified way. Of course there are many other ways like using a hankerchief for example...it will depend of course on the presentation...

Regarding your point 2), take into account the 50%-60% of discount that normally the distribution channel takes from the retail price. Note also that you pay more things apart from the components and so on...As an example, the cost of producing one CD or DVD is about 1$, and it is usually sold for 35$...what about this margin? Do you know what are you paying for? With the books and the rest of magic items happens the same.

So, the price is related to the use you will give to that item.

Just my opinion...I hope it helps!

Cesar Alonso (Cesaral Magic)
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
I wouldn't use it in any serious demonstration.

Heck, even when I was a kid in the 60s, the self-lighting bulb never fooled me. I would laugh whenever I saw someone present it as a serious illusion. I would just think "oh, battery powered bulb." I mean, Uncle Fester used one on the Addam's family, and I think the Three Stooges did as well.

The only way I could see using it is in conjunction with something else. The bulb light up when passed to a volunteer who is holding a secret item, fo example. And then only if I could have the volunteer take it home with him to prove it was real.

-Darryl
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
When I was out shopping for the holidays I saw the lights that look just like normal light bulbs with a lull string. You can hang them anywhere you want a light, they are battery powered. With things like this in the general consumer market, this type of effect is essentially a non effect.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I can attest to the EXCELLENT customer service that you recieve when purchasing any Cesaral product. I had a problem with one of his effects that I bought (turned out that I was the problem, not the product.) Anyway, I e-mailed him and not only recieved a very prompt reply, but was sent a "downloaded" movie he made specifically for me to show me how to adjust the device.

I have never had this kind of personal attention from anyone else in the Magic Industry!
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
I use to use a d'light to light a bulb. It then began to levitate and in the end I wrapped in plastic as a convincer, it then shattered! Just a thought. I was influenced by seeing dr. zodiac perform this in Chicago, he said it was influenced by Christopher Carter and his electric man antics. I don't think the good doctor has a sight anymore but I did manage to find http://www.mindcramp.com for some video. These two guys take that effect and create a reason and a purpose for the effect.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Quote:
On 2007-12-27 14:23, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
When I was out shopping for the holidays I saw the lights that look just like normal light bulbs with a lull string. You can hang them anywhere you want a light, they are battery powered. With things like this in the general consumer market, this type of effect is essentially a non effect.

This is the most interesting one:
Scroll down and play the instructional video.
http://www.dumpvideo.net/2007/12/14/myst......lb-hack/

Tony kinda like these? For $10.00 - $20.00.
http://www.alltvstuff.com/tw090702.html
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/hsh/503486632.html
http://www.1seenontvstore.com/stick-up-bulbs.html
http://www.asontvinfomercials.com/tvprod......ulb.html

No comments, just quick 3 minute Google search.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Yes. You can also find versions with a wireless on/off switch. I saw them at Walgreens and picked up a few yesterday. All under $10.

Tony
CesaralM
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of CesaralM
Quote:
On 2007-12-27 14:49, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I can attest to the EXCELLENT customer service that you recieve when purchasing any Cesaral product. I had a problem with one of his effects that I bought (turned out that I was the problem, not the product.) Anyway, I e-mailed him and not only recieved a very prompt reply, but was sent a "downloaded" movie he made specifically for me to show me how to adjust the device.

I have never had this kind of personal attention from anyone else in the Magic Industry!

Thanks for this comment!. I really think that having the best support available is one of the best ways to put the brand Cesaral Magic so high!

Thanks again

CesaralM
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of CesaralM
Quote:
On 2007-12-28 03:59, Mr. Ree wrote:
Quote:

Yes, great links!

But in none of those bulbs versions the bulb can rest all the time on the spectators hands...those are just nice toys to play with.

Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Quote:
On 2007-12-24 02:16, Mr. Ree wrote:

My answer is “no” based on the following.

1. Maybe I’m too picky but when a real incandescent bulb
slowly brightens and then goes from bright to dim you can see
“the filament” go from off, to red, to yellow, to white. and the reverse
is true with bulb goes from bright to dim. (I did not see this in the demo).

Noticed I talked about two things color and not a diffused looking light but
the actual filament “wire” lighting which you can see in many incandescent
bulbs.

Quote:
On 2007-12-27 13:38, CesaralM wrote:
Mr. Ree,
Regarding your point 1), that is one of the reasons why I advice to use the clear plastic bubble for the second part of the effect in which you give the bulb to an audience member. In this second part the bulb glows for a longer time, and thus that detail you mentioned can be "covered" by this justified way. Of course there are many other ways like using a hankerchief for example...it will depend of course on the presentation...

Hello CesaraM, I understand why you cover your bulb in bubble wrap. My personal
opinion it that this looks awkward and you would not need to do this if the filament
of the bulb acted like, or at least looked like a real incandescent bulb.
Especially in the spectators hands.

If you are worried about someone thinking you have batteries in the bulb and are just
lighting it by shorting out the base this type of effect may have been overexposed.

Then adding the bubble wrap will now make the “trick” magical I don’t agree.
In its present form the Cesaral Magic Bulb” causes concern for me and I would not use it
especially as a “mental effect”.
==============================================================================
Quote:
On 2007-12-24 02:16, Mr. Ree wrote:

2. I’m an electronics engineer that could do better for less cost.
(This previous career "delayed" my entry into magic Smile )

Quote:
On 2007-12-27 13:38, CesaralM wrote:

Regarding your point 2), take into account the 50%-60% of discount that normally the distribution channel takes from the retail price. Note also that you pay more things apart from the components and so on...As an example, the cost of producing one CD or DVD is about 1$, and it is usually sold for 35$...what about this margin? Do you know what are you paying for? With the books and the rest of magic items happens the same.

So, the price is related to the use you will give to that item.
Just my opinion...I hope it helps!

Hello Mr. Alonso

I still believe this item is overpriced, my opinion.
This comment is based on over 25 years of developing, producing,
and having marketed new electronic concepts of my ideas as well as for others.
(Low-cost electronics is my specialty as well as setting up production for
mass-production items manufactured in Asia.)

I am also familiar, in general, with cost of marketing, advertising, distribution cost, and profit margins.
I also understand that everything takes longer than expected.
Turning ideas into product, instructions, video and audio recording
and editing, duplicating DVDs setting up production, marketing,
selling the product and dealing with returns

I want to be fair to you the only thing I don’t know is what your
market size is and if you are making 1,000 items compared to
100,000 your production cost will vary greatly.
(No, I don’t want you to tell me your market size.)

But even if you market is only 1,000 items
I personally believe your product is overpriced,
don’t shoot, just my opinion.
==============================================================================================================================
Quote:
On 2007-12-28 03:59, Mr. Ree wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
On 2007-12-28 09:46, CesaralM wrote:

Yes, great links!

But in none of those bulbs versions the bulb can rest all the time on the spectators hands...those are just nice toys to play with.

Hi Mr. Alonso,

Sorry for any misunderstanding I am not directly comparing these bulbs to
your product. It was in reference to one of the opening statements.

Quote:
On 2007-11-16 21:30, Terry Holley wrote:
Here's my comment and question:

10 years ago and earlier I may have used this effect. I'm not so sure I would today with the advances in technology. Would you use it?

Terry

As these types of bulbs and even a “primitive” version of the trick, first link video,
is in front of lay people all the time. (It makes this effect weaker in my opinion.)

Also the first link video would be a good starting place to make one and
try some of your own experiments with the “primitive” version first.

Ultimately if magicians and/or mentalist see your product as
a good one at a fair price you will do well with this item.

Best wishes in future endeavors.
Mr. Ree /Dave
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Cesaral

You have missed the point.

Years ago, if a magician could place a stuffed animal (toy) on stage, and it appeared to come to life, talk and move around on its own (without apparent puppeteering) the magician could name his own price.

Today, every child under the age of 8 owns toys that do this. Even if a magician came up with a method to do this that did not use the toy's method, the effect would be worthless as the effect is an everyday occurrence. Yes, the magician COULD spend time disassembling the toy to PROVE to the audience that there is no method for the movement, but that defeats the purpose of good magic. Any effect that must be explained to justify it is not an effective piece for public performance.

Does this example apply to your effect? Well that is up to members reading it here to decide. All I can say is that liked the toys in my example above, there are commercial products available that look like light bulbs and illuminate either by direct action of an individual or by the flipping of a remote wireless switch. Will the public see this as an effect or as product demonstration? That, I cannot tell you, my magic crystal snowball does not tune into the QVC.

Tony Iacoviello
CesaralM
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of CesaralM
Thanks for your comments; they have helped me a lot.

Regards

CesaralM
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of CesaralM
Quote:
On 2007-12-28 18:38, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Cesaral

You have missed the point.

Years ago, if a magician could place a stuffed animal (toy) on stage, and it appeared to come to life, talk and move around on its own (without apparent puppeteering) the magician could name his own price.

Today, every child under the age of 8 owns toys that do this. Even if a magician came up with a method to do this that did not use the toy's method, the effect would be worthless as the effect is an everyday occurrence. Yes, the magician COULD spend time disassembling the toy to PROVE to the audience that there is no method for the movement, but that defeats the purpose of good magic. Any effect that must be explained to justify it is not an effective piece for public performance.

Does this example apply to your effect? Well that is up to members reading it here to decide. All I can say is that liked the toys in my example above, there are commercial products available that look like light bulbs and illuminate either by direct action of an individual or by the flipping of a remote wireless switch. Will the public see this as an effect or as product demonstration? That, I cannot tell you, my magic crystal snowball does not tune into the QVC.

Tony Iacoviello

A simple everyday spoon can be a magic item for all ages, if used properly...

A simple everyday bulb can be a magic item for all ages, also if used properly...use you imagination and your magic skills…

This is a possible presentation for kids: you ask one kid to help you….you "convert" him into a lamp...you produce from his ears a power cable…you magically produce other lamp elements…you ask him to hold the bulb in his hands like a lamp “would do”...you step back...the lamp will create a funny illusion when lights. Will those under 8 think about the electronics that must be within the bulb, or will they think about the nice and magic time they are having with you?

I have seen many different reactions with this bulb, all of them full of illusion...otherwise, I would not have put this bulb in the market.

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
No, it's old fashioned and embarrassing to the serious performer. I'm with Tony. Kids of 6 & 7 understand this technology.
It's the kind of effect that gets a magician with 3 weeks experience excited... for about 3 minutes.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Brucelee
View Profile
New user
Master of Nun-Chuckin'
70 Posts

Profile of Brucelee
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 22:08, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
One word, "no".

Tony

I second that.

Brucelee
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
I feel with today’s technology. Magicians who make these items that require electronic wizardry are about 25 years behind. Most of what is put out on the magic market (Electronic wise)is poorly executed.
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
If you have the right presentation it could work. But the price is the deal breaker for me.
CesaralM
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of CesaralM
Don´t miss the new version available with the standard B22 bulb base (used in the UK, Australia, South Africa and other countries). You can see it at:

http://www.cesaral.com/Cesaral%20Magic%20Bulb%20B22.htm

You will see some advantages in this new model. The most important ones are:

1) Available in cold white or warm white
2) The light comes from the center of the bulb
3) Part of the bulb is really transparent and thus is less suspicious
4) Any lamp with cord switch can be used to demonstrate the bulb and then do the effect.

...don´t miss the initial promotional price...

Best regards!

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Smile
Buy an ad like everyone else.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
No......I wont use this...I rather had my eyes poke with magic wand cover with Antrax!

there is no logical explanation for bringging lightbulb to your stage....it is not un common.....unless you perform this in a lightbulb store or unless you are Criss Angel......un less there is lightbulb used as a lightning for your stage

just my 2 cents
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Would you use this effect? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL