The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Scotch & Soda" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

YankeeTom
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of YankeeTom
Smile OK, showing my ignorance here but what is this often spoken of trick. The best description I can find involes US and mexican coins (I cant imagine this working well in the UK) and amazing transformations etc. I just cant get a grip on what it's all about.

Is there a "UK version" as it were?

I have also heard that there is a similar trick to it which relys on much the same principle?

I have also heard that the basic (and "self working") S&S can be employed for many variations.

Can anyone help by shedding some plain speaking light on all this for me, if it's so good I'd love to get it.

Who sells the best and most usable one/s?

Are there any to be avoided?

Oh yeah, what the HECK is a "bang ring" (c'mon...behave!)

Sorry, one other thing,...steel ball and tube, sounds nice and I read the cheaper ones are as good as the other, pricier ones. Any preferences? Why?

If any answers are too sensitive could a kind soul email me?

Thanks VERY much in advance.

Tom Smile
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Check out penguinmagic.com they have a vid demo of this trick. Trick can also be purchased as a dime and Penny.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
In the UK, you can purchase a scotch and soda made in American Half Dollar and English Penny combination. Check Davenports in London.
All the Best
Marty
YankeeTom
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of YankeeTom
Thanks guys, I'll have a look!
clui
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of clui
You might try some patter like "I never really understood these coins that i found in the US. They never really stay the same." You could have some patter about the temperature and stuff. Just my 2 pence
YankeeTom
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of YankeeTom
Good idea but I often forget that I am an American living in the UK! So I have a good opportunity to rationalize why I have US coinage. (I'm a bit thick you see!) In fact I guess it's the perfect opportunity to use that for humor (humour!)and needed distraction/misdirection. The "novelty" of being an American often helps break the ice, I need to take advantage of that!

Thanks again,
Tom

PS. Is this photo too pretentious? Please be honest while remembering my fragile ego.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Well I hope you got the info and leads you needed to understand everything you wanted to know about scotch and soda, bang rings etc...
As far as the photo goes, I think it is cool. I need a new one myself, something a little more serious like what youv'e got there. Mine is so silly and goofy, I don't think I get taken very seriously around here Smile
hmmmm... come to think of it, I don't think I get taken too seriously anywhere!!! Smile
I applaud you for asking the question and also those that responded in the helpful manner that is what the Café is all about.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Todd Lassen makes various versions with other coinage. Don't know if there are any UK silver coins that are approprate, but you would not be limited to an American Half, I think. If I were to get one, I think I'd like the holed coins. Todd's URL is: http://hometown.aol.com/klarentz/ There are photos there, and you may even see a bang ring or two!

Since you are new to magic, you might also consider a non-gaff version of Scotch and Soda. It would give you a great opportunity to learn a few basic coin sleights. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic would be a good place to start.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
YankeeTom
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of YankeeTom
Thanks John,
I've already taken steps to getting that said same book and I also got in touch with Peter Marucci regarding his non'gaffed S&S technique/s and he suggested the book as well sighting the "Bobo switch" as a key element, so I look forward to putting it all together!

All the best,
Tom
Donnay
View Profile
New user
N. Ireland
49 Posts

Profile of Donnay
Tom, I myself pondered over the fabled S&S for many a day wondering should I buy it. It only comes in American coinage, but then I found the British version and there is also the Euro version. now the British version still comes with US half but instead of Mexican coin it has an old English Penny, so it is not really that modern and you'll get asked questions but still a nice effect. Now where did I get mine. Let me think. Smile http://www.coinmagic.com has the UK version but you may be able to get it cheaper if you look around other UK sites.
jcmagic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
16 Posts

Profile of jcmagic
Another post stole my thunder by telling you about BoBo's coin magic. I second the motion.
When I was doing walk around magic I used the Scotch and soda and discovered a problem. (now I have to be careful to not reveal the secret.) You need the bang ring to reset the trick after each performance. So here I was walking around trying to reset the trick in between tables. Very hard to do.
Hope my two cents is worth something.

PS for those of you that are interested. I did figure out how to use the bang ring in my routine. I show the mexican centavo and tell the audience that it represents the great escape artist Houdini. I tell the audience that the he was so great he could escape while being guarded by two guards. Two half dollars represents the two guards. put one half dollar on one side of the bang ring place the centavo in the ring and then the other half dollar goes on the other side to lock "Houdini" away. give it a gentle shake and he's gone. Smile
Joshl2000
View Profile
New user
Berkeley CA
9 Posts

Profile of Joshl2000
I love the gimmicked scotch and soda. I don't use it often because I'm bored with it and I like other tricks. But I love it because it really fools them! I sometimes have kids who can see through almost every trick. Not because I'm performing poorly, but some of these kids are sharp or have studied magic or whatever. But out comes the gimmicked scotch and soda and bam! My hands never leave their sight. It ends so clean and it all happens in their hands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Scotch & Soda" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL