We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cig thru quarter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of snushy
Now that U.S. quarters vary so widely on the back, does anyone know if cig thru quarter gimmicks are being made where you push the cig through the head side?
Thanks,
Larry Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
dncmagic
View Profile
New user
Gettysburg Pa
57 Posts

Profile of dncmagic
I know they have one where you can show both sides of the quarter before, during, and after the effect

http://www.abra4magic.com/magic-tricks/p842.html
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of snushy
Thanks dnc, but doesn't solve the problem. I don't want to show the back because it could be different from the borrowed coin. The head side is the same, so I want to do the penetration from that side.
When I was a kid (the 70's), that's the way Johnson's always made them. They made the change because the back design is so much busier, it hides the gaff better. I never had a problem with that in the old days, so I wish they'd go back to that design.
Best,
Larry Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Not to toot my own horn but if you do a search here on the Café I tip a great way to use an old gimmick and a new quarter.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
How about a link?
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I use the difference in old/new quarters as part of my patter. I ask specifically for one of the "old" quarters with the eagle on the back. "There is a reason you know, why the mint changed from this old design.... there was a weakness in both the metal as well as the actual eagle design....let me show you what I mean.. blah, blah, blah." The old quarters are still everywhere, and very available, and this way, it gives you a reason to ask for it specifically.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Here is the handling I was talking about (it is also in my lecture notes if anyone is interested in the whole routine.)

Begin by gluing a piece of aluminum foil to a quarter with 3m restickable adhesive. Finger palm this gimmick in the left hand. I don't use a cig for the routine, I use a Bic pen I keep it in my right trouser pocket. This is important because of the cap on the pen. Ask for the loan of a quarter, if you get a new one the script is

Ahh a new quarter...you know that these really aren't new right? Well actually the first few thousand were but after that they realized they could save money by just plating the old ones with a bit of nickel and voila'! New Quarters! The trouble is they used a very cheap source for the plating process and sometimes it comes right off. Look...

Suiting actions to words display the borrowed quarter and do a simple spellbound or shuttle pass while you talk I prefer the shuttle pass. This should be done BEFORE you get to the last word which is "Look" too much atention is drawn to the hand when you use that word... Keep the face of the quarter shielded but don't be too obvious about it obviously. Reach into the right pocket to get the pen and at the same time ditch the coin. Remove the pen cap and use it to scratch off the aluminum in small chunks. Let it fall to the table, the adhesive should scratch off as well leaving you clean. Toss the quarter to the table.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There we go, Jason. Foiled again!

Keep on scheming.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Drop by the ranch when you're this way.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Great idea ctroyer

I am going to dig my old Cig thru Quarter out. I have not used it because of all the new coins out today. I just responded to a Café post stating Cig thru Quarter as Coin with the Most Mileage. ;o)

Steven
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1147 Posts

Profile of Salby
Hey JTW.... Where can we see the contents of your lecture notes??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
I have seen the quarters that you can "show both sides," and they are not an improvement. The whole back of the coin becomes the gimmick, which creates some real angle problems. With thoughtful handling, you don't need to show both sides.

Bob Phillips
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Here's another way, using the good old Johnsons Products standard gaff:

Begin by telling everyone that for the next illusion, you will need to borrow "at least four quarters". Collect the quarters from various people. Notice which coin in your hand is is an eagle quarter and take that one out while setting the others aside for later.

If there are no eagle quarters, grab a state quarter but only show the heads side before the switch. Due to the multiple-loaned coins, everyone will assume one of them was an eagle coin.

After the penetration effect, segue into another effect that uses four coins (matrix, shadow, shade, translocation, or coins across effect). I highly recommend Imagination Coins by Garrett Thomas.

At the end, return all the coins to the lenders.

Never underestimate effects done with borrowed objects!

Douglas M.
benjie84
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
234 Posts

Profile of benjie84
I was actually wondering today how many people use this still in their walk around bag o tricks? Ctroyer, I love your thinking-keep up the good work!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Here's what I do.

I ask if anyone has a pocketful of change. If someone takes out a handful, it doesn't matter if it includes an old-style quarter. I have an old-style quarter pal***, I immediately reach into the pile (I don't give the spectator the opportunity to focus on the specific coins in his hand) and move the coins around as I simultaneously secretly add the pal*** old-style quarter to the pile, and I pick up another coin.

I look at the coin I picked up, let's say it's a dime, and then I look at the other coins in the spectator's hand and say that I'll use a quarter instead. I simply place the dime back into the spectator's hand, and pick up the old-style quarter that I secretly placed there.

If nobody has a pocketful of change, I do something else.

This solution will cost you a quarter per performance.

Larry
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
772 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Great idea Larry. that's the most logical idea I have heard so far. Love logic it works every time. Thanks PT
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Cig thru quarter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL