The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Hold out multi purpose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
I have never messed with any holdouts here in the past so stay with me here. I am looking for a holdout that can cop chips as well as cards that is preferably under 5 hundred

Is the black widow capable of doing this as well as the beanshooter? Thanks
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
682 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
The Beanshooter is for cards only. Maybe paper money, too... or business cards, buffet coupons, etc...

Don't know much about the Black Widow except we used to catch them by hand back in the days.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I have a Black Widow .... but, never gave it the time it deserves to make it look good.

I can tell you that wearing a holdout is far from comfortable Smile

It can hold a chip as well as several cards and is easier to bring "in" and "out" than a bean shooter.....But, it does take work to make it look as good as the demo video clips.
Long Island,

New York
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
They run about 250 right? Any clips showing the BW using cards?
kloud
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
74 Posts

Profile of kloud
When do you need to decide on a holdout by?

I have the Black Widow and just purchased a bean shooter holdout, though I don't expect to receive it till next week. I'll be able to give you a good comparison on how they work after.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

Kloud,

I would like to hear your impression....But, my take is that both are designed with very different purposes in mind.

The BW is more versatile, but clumsier. The bean shooter is just for cards.
Long Island,

New York
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
Don't need it any specific time. It's somthing I think I should start looking into now so I'm doing some research. Anxious to hear what you think though. kloud, what do you think of the BW so far. And expert, how do you find it clumsy. Thanks a lot in advance
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The Black Widow is a magicians hold out....designed for magic.

It's not a traditional "thief" design and isn't near as functional as the Beanshooter or other hold-outs built specifically for card play.

IMHO, you're wasting your time looking at a Black Widow for cards.
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
Ok thanks for that. Things involving the trabucco has to be gimmicked am I correct?
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
For the record, the beanshooter isn't "just" for cards. The same-type holdout was used to steal checks in craps by the boxman.
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

I just found it uncomfortable wearing the BW on my arm. But, as I said...I did not give it the time it deserves...

I played with it a toy for a day and watch the video instructions.

It was very well designed and manufactured....and I believ it havs a lot of potential if you work with it.
Long Island,

New York
kloud
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
74 Posts

Profile of kloud
I was really surprised when I first saw the Black Widow. I had built a very similar holdout years ago, but with a different type of holdout "head".

The Black Widow's greatest strength is its special (and very well designed) head which allows it to deliver non-magnetic items to your hand or to a spectator's hand. The head on the Black Widow is more of an "active" head, and I don't know of any other holdout that can deliver items like the Black Widow.
What I don't like about the Black Widow is that it's too bulky.
I've tried my hand at making holdouts, and the problem I saw with making "solid" (e.g. not fish-line gravity) holdout designs is that unless you use lazy tongs or some other telescoping design, the holdout will have to be bulky.

I wanted to have a non-gravity holdout to do holdout work sitting down, but I've realized that I rarely do holdout work sitting down anyway.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

Kloud,

Nicely summarized Smile
Long Island,

New York
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
Alright well the beanshooter is looking pretty good right now. Thanks guys
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
The better question is where to get one - is the Granville Taylor replica the only one that's available to us? I would be interested in getting one soon.
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
I emailed them so I'll let you know what the reply is
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
It's £53 including mail to the US. They accept paypal as payment method.
kloud
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
74 Posts

Profile of kloud
The regular price as actually around £80. It's only £53 now because Granville Taylor is clearing our his stock (I bought the 2nd to last bean shooter in stock). Whoever wants it should grab it ASAP at this great price!
kloud
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
74 Posts

Profile of kloud
Alright,

I just got my Bean Shooter holdout. The Bean Shooter and the Black Widow are very different. If you want to work with cards, the Bean Shooter is your best bet. However, I don't see how it could be suitable for holding out chips, but I haven't played with it yet.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15737 Posts

Profile of tommy
Anyone here use a short sleeve hold out. You know just band around the top of the arm with a baggy short sleeve shirt.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Hold out multi purpose (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL