The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Acting Naturally: Card Magic by Allen Zingg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Acting Naturally: Card Magic by Allen Zingg
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close up Card Magic
Available: Any shop, Distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

In volume two of his Acting Naturally series Allen brings us his handling of four routines using cards…hence the title. Card magic is where Allen really shines and he seems more enthusiastic than on the other DVDs. He isn’t the most dynamic of performers but he certainly is a talented one. The production quality of this DVD is the same as the other two in the series. Well lit, the sound is good, no bells and whistles just solid magic and very well taught routines. Allen is a very good teacher and he goes over aspects of routines others might ignore and one of his goals is to teach natural methods of presenting magic. He also has the knack of taking difficult sleights and altering them to make them obtainable by more magicians. Allen was taught by Slydini and it shows in many of his presentations.

The DVD is made up of four routines, all of them strong, and a nice bonus section. The instructions are detailed and Allen goes over the sleights and his thoughts on presentation. Again, not the most exciting guy he is one of the better instructors you’ll find on DVD. The routines are not for your hallway hit men out there, these are more advanced and I think can be done by anyone wanting to do the work. You’ll have to put in some practice to get the sequences down but they are well worth it. Let’s take a look at the routines.

Identity Theft:

He fooled the heck out of me with this one. Basically a card to impossible location the card is found in a sealed envelope. Allen teaches the No Guilt Cut Pass, which is very nice and would be good for those of you who are not comfortable with other passes. He also goes over some other interesting sleights. This can also be used as a card to wallet or pocket.

Intuitive Choice:

Allen got me again with this one. The spectator picks a card and it is lost in the deck. The magician deals down the cards until the spec says stop and it turns out they landed on their card. This is good but the different sleights and how the effect works is more interesting than the routine, if you get my point. Allen did some things to get the cards into position I never have seen before.

Amazing Memory Aces:

While I may have missed it I didn’t here mention of McDonalds Aces but to me this is a more direct version of that type of routine, an ace assembly. The moves are very well thought out though the moves used are a bit stiff in Allens hands but he is using interesting methods and the routine is nice. I did some changes to suit my style and did this at a restaurant and it was very well received. The thinking behind the routine is very good.

Slydini Suite:

Not a Slydini routine but inspired by him this is, in my opinion, the best routine of the lot. An oil and water routine it is clean, direct, and baffling as heck. I had not seen an oil and water routine better than my own (with major contributions by others) but I’m working on this one. I do wish there were written instructions with this because it would be nice if you had the steps written down. This is smoooooth and the magic happens in the spectators hands. Very nice routine developed by Allen and the process of his developing it is in the bonus section.

The DVD has interesting info on the Elmsly Count and a nice shift and double lift, all kinds of goodies. I was impressed with the magic on this DVD, all worth learning and you will present them to spectators. Allen is very strong with cards and his changes to sleights well worth studying. Like I said, don’t expect rock music and black tshirts and gasping teens, you won’t find them here. You’ll find sophisticated magic well done and well taught, and that is what I’m looking for in a DVD.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
MagicSanta, thanks as always for taking the time to do such detailed reviews.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You are welcome, I'm glad they are appreciated.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I have been very underwhelmed by Mr. Zingg himself in the past (He reminds me a bit of Mr. Rogers, but without all the pizzazz-maybe the Ken Krenzell of mentalists.), though I love his ideas. The wishing box is excellent. His technique is very good, but every time I see him perform, I am left with this "that was a great presentation-what a pity you don't have a personality" feeling that tends to obscure the good points of what he does. Despite all that, your review makes me want to buy the DVD.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah...when it comes to being a performer he lacks in charm and dynamics...
SinMan
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of SinMan
This is a great DVD had it for about a month its well worth picking up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Acting Naturally: Card Magic by Allen Zingg (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL