The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How to approach people (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1906 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-09-06 03:28, MerlinCrow wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-05 18:51, Countage wrote:
Just remember it is a numbers game sometimes.

My englisch is not that good mr. Countage,
Could you explain what you mean with that ?

Merlin

Numbers game is an expression to indicate that the more people you approach, the higher the odds of success ... much like playing the lottery; the more tickets you purchase the better your odds.

I do agree with Nicky that if you are doing it right, people will approach you ... as I said earlier in this thread, "Its all about being approachable and friendly and not scaring people".

But it's still a numbers game ... the more people in the area, the higher the odds that someone will approach you. Something else I said earlier in this thread ... "And my best advice: LOCATION! Location, location, location" ... I still can't stress that enough.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
MerlinCrow
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
56 Posts

Profile of MerlinCrow
Thank you very much for your explanation mr, Joe !

Merlin
chrishodder
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of chrishodder
Hi, the way I approach people is using a technique Anthony Jacquin teaches on his hypnosis courses but it can be used in any performance really. It gets to say who you are what your doing and makes them feel relaxed around you. The method is this: C.I.Q it stands for Compliment-Introduction-Question. So for example I would say "Hi you look like you your an intelligent person, my names Chris Im a magician would you like to see something cool" in that sentence I have given them a compliment told them who I am and asked them a question. This has work every time with me and I'm glad he teaches this method of approach as its easy to remember and makes you feel and look more confident in what your doing. Hope this helps and hope you give it a try.
All the best.
Chris
akschulz
View Profile
New user
London, UK via Charlotte, NC
81 Posts

Profile of akschulz
Very enjoyable posts all; the ones about the similarity between table-hopping and street performing especially. The biggest difference between those two scenarios is the inability of the table to literally walk away in the middle of your set. Smile

My only modest contribution here is to second all those who say that finding something that ATTRACTS people to you rather than approaching them directly is a great way to go. I think this basic rule will dictate the rest: where to perform, what do perform, when to perform, to whom...etc...

Personally I do shadow coins/ matrix on a low surface or the ground in an area where street performers are expected...this last part helps a lot of course. After a few moments of concentrating on my hands and coins I usually look up and am greeted by a small gathering, or at least one or two people, who want to see more. Then I build from there.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
I have been doing street magic for 7 years before I became professional. You need to observe the person before you approach. If you get the feeling they are the right people, then go for it. Here is my approach. IT MIGHT NOT SUITE YOU. It works a 100% for me
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=5&5

Hope it helped. Good luck. Cheers mate.
bigcheese
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
56 Posts

Profile of bigcheese
Quote:
On 2007-11-20 23:02, MagicSanta wrote:
I like to approach people as they come up to a dark alley, this adds to the anticipation. I then look at them but not at them but through them with no expression on my face. I block their way and stare through them for a few seconds, then, and only then, once the fear has started to spread across their face I say "I want to show you something....". They agree and I have them select a card, still no expression on my face, and they pick it because I'm so mysterious and cool. I tell them "memorize it" and then "put it back". I then shift from looking through them to looking at them but still w/out any expression, I raise my hand slightly, and say "Wait wait...I see it, wait" Then I get a pained expression and grab my stomach, I look up "I...is it...the (name the card)?". I am always right and I turn around and walk away to the sounds of them screaming and yelling "How he do that? I can't believe it! That was so random!"

Note: the word 'random' is very popular among teens these days for some reason, I try to use it to seem young and hip

Hilarious! I would pay to see this go down, seriously! It just goes to show that no matter what your style of delivery there will be an audience for it!
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
Quote:
I like to approach people as they come up to a dark alley, this adds to the anticipation. I then look at them but not at them but through them with no expression on my face. I block their way and stare through them for a few seconds, then, and only then, once the fear has started to spread across their face I say "I want to show you something....". They agree and I have them select a card, still no expression on my face, and they pick it because I'm so mysterious and cool. I tell them "memorize it" and then "put it back". I then shift from looking through them to looking at them but still w/out any expression, I raise my hand slightly, and say "Wait wait...I see it, wait" Then I get a pained expression and grab my stomach, I look up "I...is it...the (name the card)?". I am always right and I turn around and walk away to the sounds of them screaming and yelling "How he do that? I can't believe it! That was so random!"

Note: the word 'random' is very popular among teens these days for some reason, I try to use it to seem young and hip

You are my kinda guy! haha...awesome!
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
The key is to first find somebody who doesn't look busy in the slightest, if their sitting down, perfect, they're probably just wasting time or waiting on somebody, if their walking fast, forget it they're in a hurry, if they're sort of drifting along, go for it, but not if they have a million things in their hands, nothing is more annoying than having to set your stuff down because somebody asked you to pick a card.

next you have to ignore any natural shyness or lack of confidence, seriously, unless you're an outgoing extrovert looking to meet new people and don't mind going up to them and confidently introducing yourself like it's just a normal thing to do, then you cannot be yourself, because that is what you need to be, be confident, like you already know they want to see it, introduce yourself and tell them what you do proudly, don't mumble or act shy, and that's it, once you're acting like an extrovert that's the end of it, because you can approach anyone confidently and do your magic.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Ofc you don't NEED to tell them what you do, I generally say something along the lines of "can I show you something" just because I think I sound strange using the word magic haha, and that's always worked for me, but you get the idea
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
743 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:

Hilarious Smile
hersheymagic
View Profile
Regular user
Harrisburg, PA
134 Posts

Profile of hersheymagic
Just go out and do it. If they say no, don't let it get to you. Find someone else. Be confident. If you act nervous and unsure they will see it, so just have fun like you're showing your best friend something new!
Keith Hanshaw

http://smartphonecardtrick.com

SAM Life Member

Current IBM Member
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11512 Posts

Profile of John C
I used to walk up and say, "wanna see the only magic trick I know...." Then go on with my blank deck routine.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3528 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Here are my two favorite ways:

1. While waiting someplace, just start playing around with IT as if you are practicing. Catch someone watching you and pretend to stop quickly like you don't want them to know your secret. Then, make eye contact with them and with your finger, signal them to come over and ask if they want to see something unusual. Make them promise they will won't speak of this to anyone. That is the more indirect way.

2. The more direct way: My favorite is Exact Change. Just walk up to someone and say "I have this feeling you can read my mind. I am thinking of a number between 10 and 100, what number am I thinking of?"

If you have a particular trick you want to try on total strangers, these are good ways to get into the trick you want to do. I find it awkward to go up to someone and say "Do you want to see a card trick?:"

KJ
hankinsk
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of hankinsk
I opened up my street act by using a spider pen and float a dollar. I also like to have a busking table set up with a few props on them. When people see the floating dollar and the busking table it brings people around and I have the chance to hook them into another trick.

Regards
Trace Hankins
hankinsk
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of hankinsk
I also think it is important to dress the part. I have some custom made shirts that and a magic bandana that makes it clear I am a magician.

Regards
Trace Hankins
hankinsk
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of hankinsk
I have some custom tea shirts for my street magic performance. These shirts clearly identify me as a magician. I then have a appearing cain load and pop it out while I am at the mall or on the street and introduce my self the some unsuspecting by standers. Another good method is using fire loads to get people attention.

Regards
Trace Hankins
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of Nick W
In response to the first question asked on this thread: "the people should be compelled to approach you"

character....
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
869 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2009, JoeJoe wrote:
If you ask someone a "yes" or "no" question, all things being equal, there is 50% chance they will say no. I know a lot of magicians will advise you not to ask such a question - I always, I mean ALWAYS ask ... and I'm going to tip the secret here. This is how you get them to say yes:

First, you must be doing something - anything! Fanning cards, a hummer card, coin rolls, something anything it doesn't matter what. You can stand there and bounce a ball as long as you are doing something. If you are doing something, it increases the odds that they will watch you - if you are not doing anything, there is nothing to watch so they don't look at you.

Second, ANSWER THE QUESTION FOR THEM! You can see me do it on my YouTube videos... "you want to see a magic trick? I'll do a magic trick for you, come on over". I don't give them the opportunity to say no. The reason I always do this is because it puts me in control - I am already telling them what to think before I even start showing them anything.

That is the secret in a nutshell, although it is extremely more complex then it sounds. If I had the time, I could write a book on the topic. But I don't think it would really help you that much, in that this is an acquired skill - it is something you must learn to do and you learn by doing it, not reading about it.

What you want to pay attention to is your timing - knowing when to look at them, knowing when to greet them, knowing when to ask them. It's like fishing - you have to jerk the line at just the right moment for it to work.

Hope that helps,
-JoeJoe

Exactly, Exactly, Exactly!
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
When attempting to have a conversation with anybody I meet, I like to poke out a random question or state a fun fact.
Ethan Lin
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ethan Lin
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2014, D.J. Ayur wrote:
When attempting to have a conversation with anybody I meet, I like to poke out a random question or state a fun fact.

What fun facts would these be? I've sen people do stuff like say a random thing then follow with a one handed fan and the words "pick a card"

-EL
"Now you’re looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to work it out. You want to be fooled." - Cutter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How to approach people (39 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL