The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Help me find a good trick in Tarbell (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
534 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I have to find a good trick in Tarbell for Thursday, before I meet with the magic guys.

Someone picked the Tarbell books as the meeting theme because, even though all 5 of us have all of the volumes, we generally use them as decorations on our bookshelf.

Is there someone who can point out an effect (preferably cards) that is outstanding by today's standards?

Every time I pickup Tarbell it strikes me as very outdated.

Thanks for your help.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2702 Posts

Profile of sethb
If you look closely, you should be able to find any number of fine card tricks in the Tarbell Course without any extra help. As others have said, it is an encyclopedia of magic tricks and a classic reference work.

The reason Tarbell may seem dated to you is because of the suggested patter, which I agree is not always the greatest. However, you should be creating your own patter anyway! So ignore the patter that is provided and just pay attention to the methods, the tips and techniques that are offered; I think and hope you will then view Tarbell in a different light. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3512 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The techniques of magic are as old as time,
pick up any magic book from 1600 to 2007,
and you’ll find the same information,
just written for the period and audience of the day.

Open to any category you are attracted to in Tarbell,
and you’ll find almost any of the pieces worthwhile.

The problem for you is your deadline.
You don’t just “do” something from any book,
the book is simply the starting-off place, the launch pad,
to add your own imagination, creativity, and personality to the magic.

This does not allow you enough time to do that,
but only mimic something out of the Tarbell series.

Never as they say,
“judge a book by it’s cover”
dig deep, bring your own self and style into the work.

Magicians have garnered fame and fortune,
all found in the basic techniques and effects still found in Tarbell.

Let us all know what you found,
what you decided upon,
and how you used it,
making it uniquely your own today.

Magically,
Walt
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
534 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Just as I thought... Nothing...
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Haha, If you want to be spoon fed everything... I'm sorry. The beauty of those books is that you get to find the effects that fit you. If I tell you I love the cards to pocket routines, the cards up the sleeve, the cards across, would that help you? Maybe, but it's not a sure bet. Look through it and find out what fits you. Volume 4 card stuff is my favorite.

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2702 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 20:30, pierredan wrote: Just as I thought... Nothing...

I hate to say it, but -- there is an old saying, something about "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Well, at least we tried.

Still, maybe in a few years, when you're thirsty again . . . SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
The Dai Vernon Magazine Test is sensational, and, it uses a playing card.

Close
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 20:30, pierredan wrote:
Just as I thought... Nothing...

HERETIC!! BLASPHEMER!! Burn him! Drown him! Stone him!

Okay seriously, you've been through all 8 volumes and can't find anything? You're kidding, right? And by the way, why are you trying to learn something now to impress the "magic guys" for Thursday? I wouldn't do that if I were only performing for lay people. When I have a question about method, or a certain prop, Tarbell's is ALWAYS where I go first. They are really the only books I will never part with. You want something good? Pick any volume, open it to any page, and read. You won't have it ready for the "magic guys" though.

So, here's a story for you. A few years back I met up with some friends at Denny's in Baltimore. This one guy, new to the group, started a huge pile on the counter of all kinds of "newest" stuff. Denny looked sort of sad, shook his head, and said, "All this stuff is great, and I'll take your money if you want, but ALL of it is in Tarbell's." Sadly, the new guy didn't get it either. But Denny got some money out of the deal anyway. Good luck to you.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
534 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Thank you very much Michael.

I found it. I look forward to performing it for the guys. I sure hope they don't run across this thread before Friday Smile

Oh, I wanted to let you know that I recently bought your new book for my father as a Christmas present. He loves to tell jokes he hears but they are not always funny and he does not always remember them properly or for very long. I have a feeling your book will give him some great material and some tips on how to deliver them properly.

Any volumes of “The Work” planned in the near future?
Magiman
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magiman
There is a very good phone trick in Vol 7.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
"The Dai Vernon Magazine Test is sensational, and, it uses a playing card."

Close

I can tell you from experience the above is exactly what Close says it is. This guy Close seems to know what's good(and bad)LOL.

I'd also recommend the card stabbing effects, blindfold effects and almost everything else in the books. Only problem is it usually takes more than a few days practice.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
How to find a good trick in Tarbell?

First, roll an eight-sided die to determine which volume to use. Note that this is a completely random decision and no Magician's Choice is used.

Then tape a silver dollar over each eye. (You will prefer that the eyes are closed while doing this.) Do not use a blindfold.

Grasp a pencil lightly by the eraser end, using your dominant hand.

With your other hand, flip blindly through the pages until you say "STOP!"

Drop your dominant hand with the pencil.

Wherever the pencil tip strikes -- use that effect.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet (Who believes the Tarbell volumes are magic's version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1736 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 15:11, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
The techniques of magic are as old as time,
pick up any magic book from 1600 to 2007,
and you’ll find the same information,
just written for the period and audience of the day.

Open to any category you are attracted to in Tarbell,
and you’ll find almost any of the pieces worthwhile.

The problem for you is your deadline.
You don’t just “do” something from any book,
the book is simply the starting-off place, the launch pad,
to add your own imagination, creativity, and personality to the magic.

This does not allow you enough time to do that,
but only mimic something out of the Tarbell series.

Never as they say,
“judge a book by it’s cover”
dig deep, bring your own self and style into the work.

Magicians have garnered fame and fortune,
all found in the basic techniques and effects still found in Tarbell.

Let us all know what you found,
what you decided upon,
and how you used it,
making it uniquely your own today.

Magically,
Walt

I'm curious, Walt: are you writing in free verse? Or is it just in my browser that your post looks like that?

Ross
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Good material in Tarbell?

Why not cards across?

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Webster's definition of procrastination..."I'm going to put up this posting on Wednesday as I need to have a routine on Thursday."

Bob
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
534 Posts

Profile of pierredan
You Tarbell lovers really put a smile on my face.

Instead of simply pointing out one good trick in Tarbell, most of you spend you time preaching the "gospel of Tarbell". Have faith, its all great...

Not that you guys may care, but 3 out 5 of the magic session guys came to the conclusion that there are better books worth our time and efforts. Card College, Stars of Magic, all of Darwin Ortiz's books, Vernon's many books, Greater magic...

I've been a magic hobbiest for more than 20 years. Tarbell has never really been able to reach me and I doubt it ever will.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Sounds liek your more interested in card tricks, not magic in general. maybe that's the problem so to speak. if you have a heavey interest in cards tarbell might not be best. but I think if your a more general magic type ( coins, cards, rope, silk, ect ect ect) its steller
Ryan Matney
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Ryan Matney
There is good card material in Tarbell. There's a trick by Richard Himber that Jon Racherbaumer used to use to fool magicians with. I think there is a color changing deck that I used to use with success too.
www.pocket-tricks.com
The Close-Up Magic Shop
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Tarbell sucks. There is nothing of value there at all. Skip it. Oh wait Theory 11 has just released a new effect! It's really shiny and the dvd is mostly out of focus...should be great!

Naw, maybe no one else will use the great material in it. We have to keep some of the good stuff secret guys come on!!!!
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2007-11-30 13:13, Ryan Matney wrote:
There is good card material in Tarbell. There's a trick by Richard Himber that Jon Racherbaumer used to use to fool magicians with. I think there is a color changing deck that I used to use with success too.

I'm not saying there is none, but I think for the most part somthing like card college is better strickly card speaking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Help me find a good trick in Tarbell (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL