The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » What or who makes the BEST hand mirrors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
Someone made the suggestion on the "mentalism" forum that you gentlemen (and ladies, my wife gambles better than me) might have a suggestion for me regarding mirrors that sneak peeks. I would use this as a mindreading sort of feat. something over the shoulder. any suggestions from you sneaky little devils! cheers.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Almost anything that reflects can be used to sneak peeks at things. It all depends on what you are trying to see and where you are hiding the mirror. I'm not sure what you mean by "over the shoulder". In your situation I'd say, figure out what you want to see, where you want to see it from, and then just keep your eyes open for something that will work. A tiny mirror or shiny piece of metal or whatever it takes.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
http://www.toddlassen.com/misc.htm
http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JamesRiserMagic.html

The Jim Riser shiner is at the very bottom of his web page.
Jim's is a 50 cent piece.

Todd offers his in a 50 cent piece or a 10 cent piece.
andre.eighty
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of andre.eighty
Speaking of shiners...

I don't mean to highjack this thread but does anyone know where to get the "stack of chips - shiner". it looks like a stack of chips and it has a shiner within it...

silverking, thanks for the link to toddlassen website, was interested in thoughs shiners as well...
choobysoo
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of choobysoo
Wow,50 bucks for a shiner? that's a cut throat price
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Pavlo
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
Black coffee anyone?

CC
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
Yes, black coffee seems perfect for an over the shoulder peek during a mentalism routine. Very, very clever. Now if I could only get the coffee to stay in the cup so I could see behind me...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15737 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
When using a shinner, you also have to decide whether you want a convex mirror of flat.

It is MUCH easier to get a flat mirror, but, it is genrally not as good as a convex mirror.

The problem when using the better quality convex mirror is insuring that the curve is "just right" to reflect an image that is not too large and not too small.

Good luck !

Try a silver christmas tree bulb....Use a large bulb since it does not have a large curve and tends to work better. On the downside, the glass is so fragil, it is hard to work with.

have fun !
Long Island,

New York
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I like the X-mas bulb idea. You could fill the backside with a hardening epoxy or clay to give it some durability, then sand it down to make it smooth......off to the workshop.
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
If I am not mistaking, Frank Garcia talked in his book about women using X-mas bulb glass under fingern nail.
Pavlo
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
Quote:
On 2007-11-22 15:55, Pavloter wrote:
If I am not mistaking, Frank Garcia talked in his book about women using X-mas bulb glass under fingern nail.

I've heard of people using a small piece of tinsel under the finger nail, that might be what you're thinking of.
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
Perhaps an interesting discussion could be had by sharing how a shiner could/would be used in serious gameplay?

Any takers?

CC
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2459 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I have not seen any real good literature or videos showing Glim work, reading the light or shiner work.

Maybe I should check YouTube Smile

Note: I believe that Harry Lorrayne pyublished years ago a deal which had a "rocking" type action during the sail that allowed you to see the dealt card. yet it did not flash to other positions on the table.

I liked doing it when I was teenager...it was a fun move....but, required a VERY good memory...too many cards too fast to remember Smile
Long Island,

New York
h2o
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of h2o
With a shiner, if you want to keep the deal smooth, you just sometimes don't need to know and remember the real value of the cards. As long as you can flash the card and see if it's a high card or a low card, that already gives you an edge.
h2o
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of h2o
By the way, I wonder if, using the same principle as the false thumbs used by magicians, could exist or could be being used some little piece of "false skin" that you could attach or glue to one of your right finger so that you could cover the shiner in case someone being suspiscious would want to see your hands...
Just a thought...
thejohn171
View Profile
New user
Elsewhere
34 Posts

Profile of thejohn171
I have Rudy Hunter's "Slap a Steak on that Thing" booklet and it comes with an indestructable shiner. I have been very pleased with it. It is carried by martinis magic
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2007-11-23 09:22, Expertmagician wrote:
Note: I believe that Harry Lorrayne pyublished years ago a deal which had a "rocking" type action during the sail that allowed you to see the dealt card. yet it did not flash to other positions on the table.

I liked doing it when I was teenager...it was a fun move....but, required a VERY good memory...too many cards too fast to remember Smile

"Rocking Chair" is the move, I bet (I risk a berating here, but I haven't been able to get that move to work for me...).
tjo'
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Is that how you guys brush off a mentalist coming over here asking about gamblers methods? LOL!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » What or who makes the BEST hand mirrors (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL