We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenom Finale (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 22:46, johnjnesbit wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 22:40, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 22:32, truthteller wrote:
The rope trick was marketed years ago by Meir Yedid. It was the creation of Jeff Stewart.
Thanks for that. In Callahan's 'reality' HE invented it, I bet.

Now how would You know that ?
A dead guy told me. Smile

Seriously, I thought I read a post by one of Callahan's buddies (Slim Jim?) last night in the mentalism section saying he invented it, but I don't care enough to look it up.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Read through the threads again. The version Jim performed last night was original and not a previously marketed one. (That's Slim King) Smile
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Quote:
On 2007-11-22 00:49, johnjnesbit wrote:
I owned the Meir Yedid version back in the early 90's. It was not the same method or actual effect that Jim performed tonight.

John

Unless you've made up your own definition of the word 'effect' it was the same. More so, the presentation was almost identical to that Harry Allen of Daytona magic used to demonstrate the effect back in the late 80's, early 90's: Hold the rope to your side, show it's not really going through, repeat but this time bring it to the middle of the body, run it up and down a couple of times, pull it out again. His patter was the difference between magic and illusion.

So, John,. the effect was identical. If Jim's method is different then it can be replicated EXACTLY by the Stewart method. Ar you sure you remember the Stewart method correctly?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4897 Posts

Profile of landmark
My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of lane99
I didn't see the first show, but, overall, there seemed to be incremental improvements to the show as the weeks went by.

I thought the finale show was pretty good. The flag/shirt match was lovely. And Mike and Angela's performances were very entertaining. As was that effeminate man, Ross.

Congratulations to Super Mike on the win.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
By the way, JIM has said nothing - Slim is not Jim.

Jim never claimed to have invented the trick... just like no one else claimed they invented a NW, a card control, a prepared razor effect...etc....

Seems people are eager to attack Jim - when I am still waiting to see what he did on TV was any different from the other performers' claims etc. The only difference is Criss decided to challenge JC and no one else... and JC responded.

Seems the A-Z team and others certainly enjoy attacking based on information never actually seen... while CA's behaviours and comments were seen on TV.

So, let everyone take a stress pill and relax....

Daisy... Daisy...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
All of the people on the Phenomenon show are to be congratulated and each did the best possible they could under difficult and changing circumstances and rules.

Did it occur to anyone that in many ways this was a contest for who came across camera best. In many ways a beauty contest. The youngest and prettiest tended to come out on top. Not to take away from the winners in any way. The did the job and did it well.

Wayne Hoffmann though young came across as too brash and cocky, which does not fly with middle America and did not come across the tubes very well.

I also felt for Jim Callahan to get a second shot on national TV, and with his image, to do a rope trick (?) was a waste of a good chance to help cement the image he has worked so hard to accomplish.

I think CA got nervous when Uri Geller started talking about dates of birth etc., and feared Uri might somehow spurt out 9-11, got shaken and brashly cut him off.

Angela did fabulous in an event where many were twice her age with some surely being in the business some 5 to 10 times the number of years she has been performing.

I think and hope this show will help all the contestants.

Dick Brooks
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Christopher Caldwell
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale, Arizona
86 Posts

Profile of Christopher Caldwell
Quote:
On 2007-11-22 08:42, DMG wrote:
Its funny how people see and infer what they WANT to see. Isn;t it?

Not funny, haha. But IMHO very interesting. It's one of the reasons why Uri became a star. it's a great secret in mentalism.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17539 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2007-11-22 12:31, truthteller wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-22 00:49, johnjnesbit wrote:
I owned the Meir Yedid version back in the early 90's. It was not the same method or actual effect that Jim performed tonight.

John

Unless you've made up your own definition of the word 'effect' it was the same. More so, the presentation was almost identical to that Harry Allen of Daytona magic used to demonstrate the effect back in the late 80's, early 90's: Hold the rope to your side, show it's not really going through, repeat but this time bring it to the middle of the body, run it up and down a couple of times, pull it out again. His patter was the difference between magic and illusion.

So, John,. the effect was identical. If Jim's method is different then it can be replicated EXACTLY by the Stewart method. Ar you sure you remember the Stewart method correctly?

I wonder why you are so quick to expose this effect that Jim did and not the Flying card of Ehud or any of the other Marketed tricks that the others did?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Not interested in exposing it at all. Someone claimed it was original to Jim. That impacts the published record. If he is doing something different, that should be established. But if he isn't, then that statement needs to be corrected.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
I am the one who said that rope effect was original with Jim.

I reconfirmed the history of the effect with Jim Callahan yesterday while sharing Thanksgiving Dinner with his family.

Indeed, Callahan created the effect many, many years ago. He was showing the trick around and selling them for $20 a pop to interested magicians. The effect was gaining in popularity so Jim sold the manufacturing rights to Jeff Stewart. Callahan dropped out of contact with magicians for nearly 20 years at that point for personal reasons. During that same period, Jeff made a deal with Meir Yedid to market the effect.

Callahan later saw one of the package products and contacted Meir. Meir said, "I remember Jeff telling me about that but we didn't know what had happened to you."...or words to that effect. Jim really didn't care about that issue so much but he did want to tell Meir that he felt the effect (though easy to construct) was worth FAR more than $5.

So, there you go. Now you know.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The effect could have been done better, even with Jeff's original rope through body. But, the improvement of being able to be held as a long, straight piece of rope is described in the thread provided below, with a video link in these posts.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=9

Once you've seen this done by Paul Nathan or me, you'll realize how badly done it was on the finale. If Jim Callahan came up with his own version of this, it was a regression of where this concept has gone.

My version's gimmick adds many improvements, one being a repeatable "Hang 'em High" move that is much more visual than Sheets' version and requires no preset or reset.

Also, the rope can be held by an end, displaying the whole length of the rope. The rope can be held completely slack, throughout the rope, unlike the earlier version that I sold Paul Nathan.

Before Brad blasts me, I'll clarify that my version is an obvious evolution of the original Jeff Stewart version, but it looks to be more similar to what Jim Callahan did than the Jeff Stewart version, although what Jim did could almost be done solely with the Stewart version.

I don't recall ever seeing Stewart's version before coming up with mine in 1989, but I'll admit that his was pre-existing. The difference is that mine uses more gimmicks, two different possibilities, and my flipstick moves are not part of the original Stewart version, as I understand.

I would publish a pdf for sale if I were to see that there were enough of a demand. I would never manufacture these, but I'd be happy to publish the instructions for purchasers to make these easily on their own.

Jimmy Fingers
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Mick - thanks for the clarification on the rope effect.

Jimmy's version looks sweet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pLjiplc4KPw

I wonder if it can be slowed down a bit with less twirling around and still catch people by suprise?

I knew something good would come out of "Phenomenon."

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Thanks Mick, That's an interesting and important piece of information which should be more well known. Not everyone cares about those sorts of things, but for those of us who do - thanks for getting that out there.

And Jimmy, there's no blasting. When people offer genuine variations which are improvements (not just steps sidewise) and do so in an ethical manner (with crediting and permission) then no one is to be blasted.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17539 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Let me get this straight..Jim Callahan invented this effect and sold the manufacturing rights to someone else...They make a marketing deal with another party...and now Jimmy is selling it...Is that right?
Love the video Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Please read my post carefully. I was not aware of Jeff Stewart's version, (or Jim's, or whoever it's credited to).

My gimmick is different from what Jeff Stewart's is being sold with. My handling is WAAAY different and more advanced than the sight gag that is Jeff Stewart's.

Jeff Stewart's was often done as a joke or a throw away. Mine has been refined and advanced through a more complex gimmick and subtleties changed from the Jeff Stewart gimmick. Mine can be shown slack. However, this subtlety was not available when I sold one to Paul back in the very early 90's.

Although the Nathan performance on 30-seconds to fame was excellent, there were several aspects that were not exhibited correctly in that clip.

Paul did not sell the pass through fully, and his handling was sloppy on the initial pull through.

Also, he did not show the rope slack during that routine, simply because it was not available that way, until recently.

When I did this for David Copperfield, he made me do it 3 times in a row. He didn't understand how it worked. I gave him one. At the time, I had two people hold the ends of the rope , and pulled them taut.

There are a lot of advancements that are available with my version that are not part of the Stewart/Callahan/Yedid versions.

I'm not selling anyone else's effect. I never saw the other, and mine is different.

It appears that Jim's went back and added attachments that are more of an attribute of MINE, ironically. I would be curious to find out if his changed after seeing mine done by Paul.

Just curious,

Jimmy
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17539 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Jimmy ...perhaps you should re-think your position here. I just spoke with Jim and mentioned your posts. He was welll...not too happy with them. He is still on Holiday and will be home in a few days.
This is an effect that he invented YEARS ago and there are many to verify that. His effect has NO attachments, so I guess him stealing your idea is OUT. He made it up in his hotel room in three minutes just prior to rehearsals and although almost completly surrounded on National TV no one in the studio caught on...Not even Mike Super!
Jim has a DVD of the effect that hit's the market on December 3rd. He explains the gimick and the Psychology behind the effect as well as all the variations.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
He would be wise to make sure the history of the idea is known. The Stewart version has assured its space in the public record. Of course, the proper creator should be given his due. I would encourage you, to encourage him, to make sure this lineage is established. It will save him a lot of grief in the long run.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Brad

p.s. fooling Mike Super is probably not the best endorsement one should hope for.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2007-11-23 17:41, Slim King wrote:
This is an effect that he invented YEARS ago and there are many to verify that. His effect has NO attachments, so I guess him stealing your idea is OUT. He made it up in his hotel room in three minutes just prior to rehearsals and although almost completly surrounded on National TV no one in the studio caught on...Not even Mike Super!
Jim has a DVD of the effect that hit's the market on December 3rd. He explains the gimick and the Psychology behind the effect as well as all the variations.
Why would someone with supernatural abilities need a gimmicked magic trick to perform on national television? Same reason 'God' needed a starship?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17539 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2007-11-23 18:12, truthteller wrote:
He would be wise to make sure the history of the idea is known. The Stewart version has assured its space in the public record. Of course, the proper creator should be given his due. I would encourage you, to encourage him, to make sure this lineage is established. It will save him a lot of grief in the long run.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Brad

p.s. fooling Mike Super is probably not the best endorsement one should hope for.

I like Mike Super..After Jim was gone I told Sherri he'd win.
I don't think Jim will have any problem showing he's the inventor, but with everyone getting on the "Paranormalist" band wagon I guess he'd better cover his @ss since you seem to be guilty until proven innocent around here Smile..LOL

Jim did a magic trick of his own making...The folks at Phenomenon said it was OK...The viewers LIKE magic tricks Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenom Finale (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL