The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Just bought Ring Flight.... Need Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Hi Guys, as the title suggests, I've just bought my Ring Flight... I cant see how you can get away with the "Flight" process, any time I've tried it its made a loud noise as it went around my body and usually it visibly moved some of my clothing.

And another question if a may, is there any good methods of covering putting the ring on the hook? I seen a guy do it before and he was good but it just looked blatant.

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions but I believe in asking them in order to make the effect as best I can.

Thanks
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Ring Flight takes some time to really master well.

First off, the quality of your R**l will make a difference on the sound. Hopefully yours is a good one. With a good one, you’ll hear the noise in a very quiet room, but under normal performing situations (such as a party or a restaurant) it won’t be heard. As for your clothing moving around, well, keep practicing and make adjustments. You’ll figure it out.

Some clips are better than others too. Do a search and you’ll probably find some good suggestions. The unit I have was bought at the Magic Castle Swap meet and was recommended by Billy McComb. I don’t really know who made it. Lots of practice will minimize the fumbling. The quicker and easier you can get it on the less it will be noticed. You have lots of natural misdirection because you can talk about the ring as you examine it. It's quite natural to fiddle with a ring in your hands as you to talk. Just work it in to your patter in a natural way and you can easily over time it takes to attach the ring to the clip.

Finally I would recommend you get your hands on Bruce Cervon’s book, "Ultra Cervon” You will find his handling to be exquisite. I particularly like his handling of the vanish of the ring. It really looked magical in his hands.

This trick is worth the investment in time it takes to perfect. There’s a reason it’s a classic.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Thanks Rich, its definately a classic. I'll put the time into it for sure (although I'd love to perform it at my gig tommorrow night) and I'll post whatever findings I come up with it here.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just IN Case has solved all those problems. Also look up Mike Close's RING FRIGHT, also a good one. You can hide the clip under a piece of flash paper, and as you pretend to wrap ring in the paper you push it thru and onto clip underneath.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Pete... You're a genious... I'm going to try that the second I get off the net. THANK YOU!!!
RollyD
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of RollyD
Dan Fleshman's Ring and String Routine with Ring Flight ending is pretty awesome. He gave a lecture at our local ring a few years ago and had everyone laughing during his routine. Nice kicker ending too! Unless you have good insurance, I would stay away from using women's rings with stones unless you don't mind paying for losing one (that has always scared me and has made me reluctant to do this effect). You can find it on his DVD Restaurant Magic of Dan Fleshman Vol 1 or on L and L's World's Greatest Magic Finger Ring Magic DVD. I was able to learn the routine from his lecture notes and presentation at the club meeting.
Rolly
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1805 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Yes, I agree ! Brilliant idea Pete !
Ben
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I gave up. I now use the Morielli ring flight.

Jim
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1939 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Give me your email, I will send photos of my hook, this will make you very easy and faster to hook the ring..

CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The flash paper wrap was shown to me by Finn Jon
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
Track down Danny Tong's DVD with his Ring Flight in it. Not only is the routine brilliant but he describes his method of rigging up the device to avoid the banging.
DylanTolly
View Profile
New user
Australia
94 Posts

Profile of DylanTolly
On the topic, I'm curious as to how many of you have had problems with people claiming you damaged their ring? I was very interested in purchasing ring flight a while ago, but someone turned me off saying it's too dangerous to perform with something so valuable.

-Dylan
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10763 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ringer by Steve Dusheck no sleeves or jacket requiredmand no pulls or reels
no noise problems and is a instant repete,,ringer can be performed using any sise or shape ring......

the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I cover the noise with talk. I also replaced my reel with a very quiet ID badge reel. I took it apart and added a grommet that I had powdercoated. The powdercoating cost more than the darn reel.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1718 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I second Steve Duschek's Ringer. Simple to use, easy to carry, no rollercoaster ride around the body and it is always set to go. If someone hands you a ring and says, "Do something with this." you can go straight away. I changed the handling for the load and I can show my hand empty as I go in for it. I can then show the ring is on it. The other important thing to consider is that gets great reactions from people.

I'm not sure if Steve is still selling them though.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17116 Posts

Profile of joseph
Steve's website says no, he is not ....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1805 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
It never happened to me that I damaged a spectator's ring... But I always choose a ring with no stone...
Ben
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Several fols have told horror stories about damaging rings. Someone also mentioned doing this on a cruise ship and watching the ring roll of the deck and into the ocean.

I once saw someone do a ring flight starting with a bunch of loose hooks and saying that he always had problems with the hooks coming loose, tossing them onto the table. He picked one up and clipped the borrowed ring onto the hook, then proceeded as you normally might.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1805 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On 2008-02-09 20:38, marty.sasaki wrote:
Several fols have told horror stories about damaging rings. Someone also mentioned doing this on a cruise ship and watching the ring roll of the deck and into the ocean.

OUCH!!!! This REALLY hurts...
Ben
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
In my now out of print booklet The Edge Of The Stage I offered a routine using the Ring Flight gimmick with a borrowed HOUSE KEY.

This not only prevents you from having to worry about damage to a lady's ring, but allows for a nice "repeat" of the effect each time they open the door to their house, because you assure them the key "almost never" looses any of it's teeth when it rematerializes.

So they wonder... when they try the key in the door...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Just bought Ring Flight.... Need Help! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL