We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Restaurant Workers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
Quote:
On 2003-09-07 15:15, elmago wrote:
I applaude you for not taking the easy way out and wearing a jacket just because you need to carry stuff. As working magicians, we must be very mindful of the venues we are working and dress accordingly. Part of being a professional is knowing how to adapt to your surrondings and this takes a lot of thinking and preplanning.

A jacket would be inappropriate in most of the situations I work. I've learned to use all of my trouser pockets and my shirt pocket. I also have multiple uses for most of my props to get more magic with less space. I takes a lot of trial and error, but you'll be glad you did.

Miguel Rangel

Hi elmago,

The easy way IMHO would be not taking the time to put on a jacket, and look more like the public expects a magician to look.

Being mindful and dressing accordingly used to mean dressing just above the best dressed person in the place. It leaves me curious as to where your performing situations are. Perhaps I can tone it down a bit, and break an old habit.

Educate me,
Gician
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I had a special table top made for me. The top has a close-up mat. Wood trimming covered with leather keeps the mat in place. There is a opening in the back of the table so I can reach in to grab my props. Velvet is used to decorate the front and sides. I use a Eureka table base screwed into the top.

It is very helpful at getting my props. I like using it as a table top if the spectator's table is full.

I do a lot of restuarants. They all have room for me to transport my stand.

If anyone wants to see a picture of it, PM me your address.
Josef K
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Don't forget that you can carry some things in your hands, like a Chop Cup or a Mystery Box. Just put it down on the table until you need it.

Josef K
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-02-24 11:47, terrormagician wrote:
Come Up with a routine that uses only things that can fit in your pockets without making bulges. I have a deck of cards in each pocket, a small packet wallet in each pocket, and coins in each pocket.
Justin Smile Smile Smile Smile

There's a book by Merlyn T. Shute called Out of Your Pocket that deals with this exact point.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
You might find my newest product of use here, as you could mount a wooden case (I use an antiques silverware case sometimes) on it with a close up pad on top of the case. It's on my website and now available.

[outdated link]
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
TJ Newton
View Profile
New user
Oregon Coast
60 Posts

Profile of TJ Newton
I looked at some of the products on your webpage Scott. Good stuff.

I wear a fanny pack (as previously mentioned by someone else as a "bum pack"). It works well for most situations.
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
You might check out Carl Andrews' video "No Jacket Required." He demonstrates a series of routines he uses without a jacket as he works in warmer weather.

For less bulk with sponge balls you can use smaller balls and also distribute them so that they are not all in one pocket, yet still work into your routine.

Kirk Charles has some good suggestions in his books on strolling and restaurant magic.
JordanMalfreed
View Profile
Regular user
California
116 Posts

Profile of JordanMalfreed
Perhaps you might want to take a look at what your real need is.

Do you need to find a way to carry all these props?

Perhaps you need to reduce the amount of props you carry?

Perhaps you should think of what you would perform if you carried nothing. It can be done very well. If you prefer performing with props, you could likely still carry nothing while performing in a restaurant. There are usually lots of props that naturally occur in the environment. For example: napkins, silverware, plates, food, salt & pepper (and their shakers), sugar packets, chopsticks, coins, money, menus, people, tables, walls, ceilings, floors, candles, matches, cigarettes, ashes, ashtrays, and much, much more.

I don't know what is in the restaurant in which you may be performing, but perhaps you don't need to carry anything.

It's your decision.

In your mind,
Jordan
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
I wear a small pouch that I use to carry some coins and packet tricks. I usually have a couple decks of cards in my back pockets. I also bring other things with me in a leather doctor's-type bag which I leave in the office or at a station in case I want to change things up throughout the night.
-Chris
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
This sure was an old thread that has been resurrected from the dead.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-05-14 21:20, lhughes wrote:
I once saw a magician carry his supplies in a lunch box! Pretty tacky unless you have the comedy to pull it off.

I dunno, I used to have a vinyl lunchbox with the logo of the Florida Magic on it! That might have worked!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I found a very nice pouch/bag to carry my stuff in at the Trickery. The price is a little steep, but it's the best bag I've ever used. There's a really sharp looking dragon style draw string attached for coins, and the bag itself is perfect for coins, cards, and whatever else you're bringing along.
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Usually cups and balls come with a carry case, to help with the fact that you can't pocket them. depending on your final load, I can see why your stuggling without a jacket. a pack of cards, few coins, sponges and maybe a ring on rope routine is usually what I carry as DEFINITES. anything else (reality twister, pen thru anything, etc etc) is a bonus both for me and the spectator!

Have you seen "The Vest" in Hank Lee's catalogue? http://hanklee.org/xcart/customer/produc......p;page=1
CWMoss
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of CWMoss
I can't imagine doing cups and balls walkaround let alone without a jacket. If you are doing walkaround, why not do close up magic?

I don't do the same tricks at every table, so I don't want to carry anything and I don't want to have to use their table space especially for a trick I may or may not do.
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1024 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
I might suggest that you carry on you just what you plan to do for that table and keep the rest of your stuff at the waiter's station or in the office where you can go back and change out your material for the next table. Then you only need to carry a very few things with you.

What I am suggesting will work, but what my underlying meaning here is that you can go table to table with the same set show and that doesn't have to be much. The only problem is that you can't be very flexible and do any "jazz magic". You might lose your spontaneity but you could just do more with what you have (i.e. another card trick, a longer sponge ball routine, another coin trick, etc.) Just put your mind to it.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
958 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Best to carry little and use tricks that everybody can see.other tables will watch from a distance and become curious.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
I'm having a special shirt tailormade, with 2 breastpockets. I have enough space for 6 effects that use to much props, so in time it will work out fine, as my repertoire gets better
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2003-11-08 04:24, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
You might find my newest product of use here, as you could mount a wooden case (I use an antiques silverware case sometimes) on it with a close up pad on top of the case. It's on my website and now available.

[outdated link]

My Table Hopper's Friend is available again at a new low price. You'll find it on the "Other Items" page of my website.

Also, I just purchased a busker's vest from buskergear. It is fabulous and well worth the asking price to a worker.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
I started wearing my big black leather gazzo pouch - this affords me so much room that I was able to add the option of the mystery box/ "the scorpion" and a large chop cup routine to my table magic.

Because it can be adjusted to look far thinner than when in "street mode" and I'm not using any huge melons etc - it looks rather innocuous and is sometimes the cause of some adult humor too. I just call it a "sporran"
shaneking
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of shaneking
To free up pocket space I now wear a coin purse that attaches to my belt. I also use leather pouches that can be attached to my belt to hold my decks of cards. It all helps!
If you're not looking for it you won't find it!
Www.shanekingmagic.com
Sydney, Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Restaurant Workers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL