The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Omega Reel Review » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
I havent received my Omega Reel till today,but now since I read those comments about the reel,im happy that I will get a refund from Precision Magic and I wish them more luck with their future products!

Jerry
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
388 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
I should have read this thread before buying my omega reel. mine is still in the mail. guess I'm stuck with a reel that isn't all that it should be and will just take up space in my drawer.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I am sorry to see that some are disappointed in the Omega Reel and the Silk Worm IET. The Omega Reel was and experimental project that was meant to be developed further by myself and Magicians alike. I have been working on the problems of the reel. I believe that I do have the fix for it. What I did was made two circles of felt and stuck them to the sides of the spool itself so that the thread can not jump. And the other thing I did was to make a small plastic guide that's glued to the top of the reel. The guide keeps the thread from jumping into the groove where the ball goes together. As to the Silk Worm IET, most have raved about the product and use it on a daily basis. I use it myself and have no trouble using it undiscovered by the spectators. These are just MHO's. I hope that helps? I know it has worked here for me.
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
"The Omega Reel was and experimental project that was meant to be developed further by myself and Magicians alike."

Then how do you explain the below statement on your website which doesn't state that it is experimental but rather a polished product?

"The Omega Reel is the last Reel that you will ever Buy. Now that's a pretty big statement. But, if we could back that statement up, then we at Precision may just have something most Magicians would use. Now I guess I have to prove the statement."

Glad I held off on buying one of these.

Dave
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 13:00, Dmann wrote:
The Omega Reel was and experimental project that was meant to be developed further by myself and Magicians alike.

Are there any magic creators left out there that really test and play with their creations for years (or at least months) before they decide to share them with the magic community? is it all about the money now? This is truely unbelievable.
Next time put "an experimental project" in the ad. Your experiment just cost me 30$ and lots of time.
I'm taking back my recommandation for your customers service. I feel like I've been had.

Nimrod , Israel
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
The ad never said " experimental project that was meant to be developed further by myself and Magicians alike". Not one person would have bought it if it said that.

Can this be sent back or are people stuck with it? Repuations are everything and this has the potential to be a long term damaging one.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I was trying to help everyone that seemed to be having a problem with their product. I guess I picked the wrong words when I said it was experimental as it is not. What I was trying to say is that I see and understand the problem that others were having and tried to fix it.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm experimenting and have a hot glue gun baby!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
This is not the first time a magic product has fell flat. It's the way any industry works and since this is a particularly specific industry where it's buy blind and hope for the best, can't really circumvent the problem of the market having duds. I have not purchased the Omega Reel but I can understand why there are problems with this product. First thing first, if the "shell" for the reel is more than ONE piece, you're going to have the problem of snagging thread and breaking thread because regardless of how fine the space is between the two pieces, your thread is still just as thin or may be even thinner. Second, elastic thread on a reel has way too much give, it's going to retract differently then regular IT and at the high speed of retraction, that thread is going to go places that you don't want it to go, a.k.a. thread will get caught in the bands. Third, the guide ball concept used on the Omega (sounds like it is being used here) as well as some of Scorcery's later ITRs, it's not a very good idea, makes repairs way more difficult then they should be. There's a reason magician's stand close and true to their original Scorcery ITRs, it's a very very simple design with very very little to go wrong. People complain about it being difficult getting thread back out of ITRs, well, it's not, reason they have problems is that they don't sit down and play with their props long enough. I see a lot of ITRs that have wax stuck INSIDE of them, how the wax got inside is beyond me, I've used the Thread Boss for 4 years now, I'm on my second one right now, the reason being the shell/casing for the first one just took one too many drops on to the ground and other pretty harsh abuse. I also have and love my Spider Pen, it works brilliantly and in close up situations, that battery lasts a LONG time.

Long story short, take care of your props. Also don't expect your props to work miraculously as if by pure magic, we're all magician's here (or supposed to be), we know that there's no pure and real magic in the world, it's our job to create the illusion (keyword, ILLUSION) of pure and real magic. Learn and understand your props, pure and simple. Don't try to reinvent the wheel unless it actually works and works RELIABLY.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Can this be returned for a refund?

Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I think I'll keep it as a reminder to never buy another Omega reel (see, the blurb was true!)...

Really, was this tested in the real world before released?

Moral: I will wait for a Youtube demo of some sort to see (and hope it isn't Cri$$ angelized)...

I think I might take it apart to make a reel for non-e IT that fits on the belt.. the components I think I'll have fun redesinging - the body casing has got to go...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1128 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
I just can't believe Dmanns comments above this according to the ad blurb was suposed to be the difinitive reel,not something you have to adapt,that should have been done long before it was marketed. "The last reel you will ever buy" NO the last thing I will buy from Dmann.Disgusting.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Looks kinda like one of those things toys or mini tools come in...
RawVoodoo
View Profile
New user
ohio
62 Posts

Profile of RawVoodoo
Wow you guys are harsh!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Using the Café to promote a product can be a double edge sword. If you hype it, it better live up to it.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

If people that bought it don't feel that way, they should be allowed to return it to Precision Magic.

Everyone was forgiving for the original models being defective and being replaced. Not living up to the hype by the creator and not being able to return them may have long term trust consequences.

edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I don't believe this product was tested in the real world. If it was all of these problems would have surfaced.
Magic is a vanishing art.
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of ashah
I agree that some of the posts were a bit harsh. It's not like this product is complete junk, it's just rough around the edges. But as Chris said, if you're going to hype something up, you better live up to it. And as edh said, this wouldn't have been a problem if Precision Magic took some time to test this out instead of rushing it to market.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of Philippe
I will never never use this %*?@ thing
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 17:40, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

If people that bought it don't feel that way, they should be allowed to return it to Precision Magic.

I'm still waiting for the statement from Precision Magic that they are willing to give full refund for the product and the shipping cost.
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
I find it interesting that, now that negative comments are coming in, there is total silence on the part of those who were excitedly hyping this product.

Actually, I got one myself...the concept was intriguing and there are some good things about the reel. It is quiet and easier to rethread than a conventional reel. The inner magnet will hold well to another magnet (not to a ferric surface, however). The much hyped thread is indeed too visible in all but the darkest rooms...what about the clear thread? How does that work? I'm not all that used to IET in a reel and I guess that it has some advantages for certain applications. And, yes, it doesn't always retract 100% (but that was admitted to by Dmann in the other Omega Reel thread).

Ultimately, this reel should have been put through the paces more thoroughly before bringing it to market...those who bought it shouldn't have to make any modifications such as cutting and adding felt discs to the spool. When I buy something I don't want to have to be compelled to work on it to make it perform properly. Also, the documentation with this reel was, to put it politely, sparse. Suggestions for hookups and applications would not have cost more for the manufacturer to offer...almost every utility item that you buy has at least some ideas...this one has nothing.

Again, with all of the incredibly excited hype that was generated on this and the other thread, what do you guys have to say now that some negative opinions are being voiced?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Omega Reel Review » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL