The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
856 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2019, docguitarman wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2017, docguitarman wrote:
My first magic shop was in Kansas City Missouri. Late 1950s and early 60s. I think the owner went by the name of "Monte" IIRC. It was the only professional store I knew of at the time (the other stores had more pranks than magic tricks). I got all of my fox lane gaff decks there and many other of the "mandatory" effects/props (linking rings, mystic floating ball, multiplying billiard balls, and so on).

It was always fun visiting. Monte would always greet me with a smile and demo the latest trick he believed I should purchase within my youthful budget!

Since posting this I remembered the shop owner's name was "Morey." Then, after an inquiry, a gentleman of I.B.M. Ring 129 (Kansas City area) said his name was Morey Taub. The magic shop was in the lobby of the Howard Hotel in KC I recall -- but I also recall one relocation. Wish I could locate more historical information regarding the shops in KCMo in the 1950s and 60s.

Time flies. My wife gifted me a subscription to Genii magazine a couple of months ago. It dawned on me a few days ago to search the Genii archives for "Kansas City" in the dealer pages. Lo and behold I found the exact info in the September 1960 issue of Genii, here is the dealer ad

Hollywood Magic and Novelty Co.
Serving since 1922
214 W. 12th Street
Morris Tobb
Kansas City, 5, Mo.
Ha. 1-6525

His nickname was "Morey"

The shop was on 12th street west of Main as I remembered... right by the row of burlesque theaters, lol!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5109 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Harries Magic shop in Norrkoping, sweden was the first shop I visited early 80s.
I bought many fine tricks...
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
541 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
"The Red Barn" in Little Rock, Arkansas around 1979. I remember buying a set of Enardoe Color Changing Knives, Color Monte, "Eight Ball" packet trick and something from Hank Lee. I was so overwhelmed to BE IN A MAGIC SHOP! that I can't remember much more. LOL.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Andrew Aspen
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Andrew Aspen
Tannens Magic shop on 34th street
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
81 Posts

Profile of Merodach
First, Disneyland's Magic Shop on Main Street, second LaRock's.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1066 Posts

Profile of Russo
1st, Hollywood Magic & Joe Bergs Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood.50'-70's/ 2nd Tannens NYC, 70's 80's / 3rd. Disney Worlds Magic Shop (worked there a week)80's Retired WDW 90's
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
146 Posts

Profile of jkr
Eagle Magic store, downtown Minneapolis MN.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The Fun Shop
123 Union Ave
Memphis, TN.
Then owened by Sterling Anderton
Magician was Richard Oakley
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1066 Posts

Profile of Russo
Any one remember Joe Bergs Magic Shop - upstairs off Hollywood Blvd. Calif???????
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3335 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Riley's Trick Shop in Palos Hills, IL.

A modest little shop, but they had what I needed to begin my magic journey...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3741 Posts

Profile of Julie
There's a 177 page book about Jim Riley's magic life, including his magic shop(s), titled OH REALLY, RILEY? "The Story Of Riley's Trick Shop And The Family Behind It". (Copyright 2010)

Julie
Fromentum
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Fromentum
Zauberkönig in Munich. Sadly it does not exist anymore.
Baught an Invisible Deck and Handbuch der Magie (a standard Beginenr Introduction into magic in German)
james the cardist
View Profile
New user
canada
2 Posts

Profile of james the cardist
James
don't reveal your secrets kids
james the cardist
View Profile
New user
canada
2 Posts

Profile of james the cardist
Opps that was a acident I was just wondering if there was any magic shops in Canada Nova Scotia around Halifax. Thanks
don't reveal your secrets kids
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3335 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2021, Julie wrote:
There's a 177 page book about Jim Riley's magic life, including his magic shop(s), titled OH REALLY, RILEY? "The Story Of Riley's Trick Shop And The Family Behind It". (Copyright 2010)

Julie

Thanks for this tip, Julie. I really enjoyed reading it.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
559 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Tannen's in NYC.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
ErwinHopman
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
4 Posts

Profile of ErwinHopman
The first magic shop I visited years ago was the one attached to the party-supply store named "Jan Monnikendam" in the centre of Haarlem (NL). It was a small storespace crammed with magic items. I liked it a lot! The guy running the magic store would give demonstrations to show the different things you could do with the different items.
It later became an independent Magic Shop in a industial area near Haarlem (NL).
James Knight
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of James Knight
Misdirections in San Francisco- Joe is the best!
quinoa
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of quinoa
Mine was Magic, Inc in Chicago (on Lincoln Ave near Foster Ave. Such fond memories (even after 46 years--jeez). My dad drove me there, and the folks there were unbelievably kind and patient...
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1598 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Mecca Magic in Bloomfield NJ
Ihor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (37 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL