The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
Wizuriel
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Wizuriel
Browser's den of magic while visiting Canada's Wonderland
Hybrid Hunter
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
120 Posts

Profile of Hybrid Hunter
Mine was Hey Presto in Sydney, Australia!
It's unfortunately closed now due to Covid but lasted a long time as one of the last brick and mortar magic shops in Sydney (and probably Australia!)
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
Best Magic Costume and Supply off of Magnolia Blvd in Anaheim!

I got Scotch and Soda, nickels to dimes, and a way too dangerous finger guillotine.

I might have some resentment towards the dude behind the counter.

He sold me a card magic book that taught doubles by lifting from behind with your right thumb and the book claimed "perfect shuffles" were done by riffling. I mean, what the heck. Is there a person on the planet that can consistently make it through the 8 shuffle Faro rotation by riffling?

I honestly think the bad teaching in that book is what kept me from getting into magic as a kid. I had no idea what I was doing, but I think I intuitively understood that it was full of S.

Oh...lol...and it taught card to ceiling with a tack (RIP stucco ceiling, sorry Mom).

That has to be the worst magic book ever published. Does anyone know what book I'm talking about? Not sure when it was published, but I would've purchased it in 89 or 90. It would be a fun novelty item to read again now that I (sort of) know what I'm doing.
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
waynet
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of waynet
As a kid, every time my family would vacation somewhere I would take out the phone book at the hotel and look up if there were any magic shops in that area.
The next step was convincing my parents that a visit was part of our itinerary for that trip.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4969 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Same technique I used waynet.

I remember one time shortly after I got into magic, we were on vacation on a bus tour – one of those with an upper deck that was uncovered. As we drove through downtown (I can't remember the city), we passed a magic shop. I almost jumped over the railing to get to it. Never ended up convincing my parents to go back to it afterwards.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1066 Posts

Profile of Russo
Hollywood Magic and down the street - Bergs Magic 1950's- 70's
jsereb
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of jsereb
Tannen's in NYC
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
First order-by-mail magic shop: Vick Lawston's 'House of a Thousand Mysteries' (followed closely by Flosso-Hornmann Magic and Abbott's Magic Co. ... I found all three by small advertisements in the back of magazines like Boy's Life and Popular Mechanics. I ordered their catalogs and spent hours studying them, enticed by the wonders offered on those pages.)

First visit in-person to a magic shop:House of Magic at Walt Disney World. (but I count my first "real" magic shop as Al's Magic Shop in Washington, DC)

Fedora
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, usa
344 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I don't frequent magic shops, but the first one I wondered into
was a "Houdini's magic shop" I believe,
probably the one at the mgm grand.
stevevoltz
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of stevevoltz
The late, great, House of Magic on Chestnut Street in San Francisco. My Dad brought me there for my birthday to let me pick out a piece of pro equipment. I had a hard time choosing between a very nice red velvet zipper change bag and a well made wooden drawer box. I went with the change bag because I liked the flash of the red velvet and the gold trim. I used that change bag for YEARS. (Now of course I wouldn't be caught dead using a change bag, but I loved it for a long time.)
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
131 Posts

Profile of Halmac
Magic and Fun in Tallahassee. Long gone though.
Hal,
The Thumb Tip Guy
HalSaxonMagic.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9138 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, the very first place I ever brought magic from was the old Johnson Smith Catalog. Anyone remember that? 😁

But the first brick & mortar magic shop for me was the old Tannen’s Magic in downtown NYC. Man, what a magical place it was. I used to go down there every Saturday morning that I could, when I could save up a few pennies to buy some tricks. I vaguely remember the elevator actually opening up right into the shop, or perhaps that was another place? But that shop showed me my very first batch of magical apparatus and introduced me to a bevy of magicians every trip there, the big, small & all of them on the NYC scene. Hard to find magic shops nowadays, it was always quite an exhilarating experience for me. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Magical Moments
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
YES!!! I remember Johnson Smith! When I was a child, I sent away for their catalog and I STILL HAVE IT! It was my very first catalog. The cover is missing and it is folded in half but all of the pages are there. It is from the early to mid sixties.

I spent many hours looking through that catalog. I discovered the word MAMMOTH in that catalog. They sold lots of MAMMOTH things so I looked up the word in the dictionary to find out what it meant.

I would occasionally buy a little something from time to time such as a box of 100 magnets (certainly not mammoth!) and other curiosities. I would wait impatiently for my purchase to arrive. What I actually received was not quite what I was expecting. The great item descriptions and cool illustrations gave me an inaccurate expectation of what would actually show up in the mail. In spite of that, I was still happy with my purchases and made the best of it. FUN FUN FUN!!!

After that, I began sending away for catalogs from actual magic shops. Boy oh boy were they fun to read and stare at! It is unfortunate that I could not afford anything substantial but did buy something when I could.
balbec
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of balbec
Mayette magie, Paris
David asecas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of David asecas
My first magic shop is one that is still active in Madrid Spain, Magia Estudio, I still remember the first time I walked in and was shyly recommended a card book for beginners by the great Spanish magician A. Florensa.
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
192 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
My first magic shop wasn't technically a magic shop it was technically Joke shop within an indoor market in the Kirkgate Centre in Bradford, selling fancy dress, jokes and practical jokes etc. It did however sell some basic magic effects and gimmicked packs of cards which the shop owner would demonstrate on weekends to draw crowds from the market. This was where I would spend my time whilst my parents went shopping. as I developed a strong love for magic and mentalism etc. after my time in the military, my first bricks and mortar magic shop was the fabulous Merlin's of Wakefield! still going strong to this day and one which I still frequent.

it is a sad but true fact that the rise of online retailers has resulted in a drastic decline of bricks and mortar magic shops so I still like to support them where I can.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
559 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Tannen's magic shop in NYC. I have heard that it may be one of the oldest in US.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
MysteroMagic
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of MysteroMagic
Irelands Magic Shop on Dearborn St. in the Chicago Loop was the place to go. I remember meeting Don Allan at Ireland's Magic. At that time Don was performing on a daily TV kids show and needed a new trick everyday. Irelands became Magic Inc. over the years. Wonderful memories.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Veteran user
Behind the Midway
378 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Uncle Ted's Magic Shop inside a place called Maxies International Flea Market. Believe it or not!
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
Unfortunately never been to an actual magic shop and seeing how they keep closing thanks to online infrastructure don't see many opportunities to do so in the future in my location.
Billy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (37 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL