The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..18~19~20 [Next]
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
My first Magic shops were the ones at Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland in California back int the early 70's
Every summer for 4yrs during my 6th -9th grades I would take my money from cutting the neighbor's yards and ride the bus
from Huntington Beach to Garden Grove for Knott's Berry Farm or to Aniheim for Disney, either way it was a 30min
bus ride or so, and buy a magic trick or 3. Now having kids of my own, I really wish I would have kept up with Magic,
now it's learning coin magic and buffing up my linking rings, & ring and rope tricks skillz once again.
MikeHolbrook
View Profile
Regular user
USA, Angier, NC
112 Posts

Profile of MikeHolbrook
The Magic Corner in Raleigh, NC. I used to go there with my wife when she needed face painting supplies. This past March was the first time I went there for magic supplies.

Mike
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
In the early 70's it was Romig Magic in Ferndale, MI (suburban Detroit), in the original hard to find upstairs location on 9 Mile Rd. I learned so much from both the employees & customers. Since then, they have changed ownership; I believe they have relocated at least 3 times and are currently known as The Wunderground in Clawson, MI.

Also during the early to mid 70's, I would frequent Roy Kissell's Fox & Fun Magic Shop on 7 Mile Rd in Detroit, and also Max Ettinger's Magic Emporium on 8 Mile Rd in Southfield, MI.

During the same period, I also remember periodically purchasing mail order catalog items from Tannens (NYC).
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
My first shop was called Zeezo's in a small town in Colorado. This was the early 80's and the shop was in our only/first indoor mall. I bought a Hot Rod and couldn't get anyone to be as impressed as I was. I really wanted to just hang-out in the store, but I didn't have much money and didn't want to appear desperate for magic. I really looked-up to the Demonstrators.
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2012-01-26 15:37, donny wrote:
...and couldn't get anyone to be as impressed as I was...

I think that's the story for a lot of our early careers in magic.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Wow some great shops mentioned here. For me I am not sure which was the first ...either Kanters or Chanin's in Philadelphia. My dad, who was a magician took me to both. At the time Mike Kanter had a huge store. I had never seen anything so big except for Wannamakers. It was two stories and packed with magic. (This was 1963) Jack Chanin's on the other hand was a second floor walk up packed with magic and junk. I loved that store. My dad told me if Mike Kanter did a trick I could do it, if I saw something Jack did...well. After my dad died Jack took me in and I worked for him...talk about an education. In college I hung out at Al's in DC and then in Columbus I worked for O'Neill Magic, which was a successor to UF Grant which became MAK magic. Magicland here in Dallas, had already moved from downtown when I got here and Howard Hale was the owner.

I have been to Denny and Lee's in Vegas and it is a great shop... alas a lot of the others are now long gone.
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Mr.E's... Springfield, Missouri. I was such a young, arrogant, kid at the time. I could not really appreciate the knowledge being offered to me. I am sure I annoyed the owner (Rick Enloe I believe). There is not a magic store around for many miles nowadays. I think the closest is in Branson, Mo. I am not having any luck tracking down a local Ring either. I am ever looking for some older, wiser, local magic people... Thanks for posting this thread, it is nice to reminisce over the old magic shop.
djw.tyler
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of djw.tyler
I only recently went into my first magic shop which was Davenports in London. I didn't really know what I was looking for to start with and was a bit overwhelmed. However the staff, although initially a bit snooty, were very helpful and I came out with a couple of John Bannon products which I'm really happy with. I guess that most of us these days look and buy online but there's nothing like the real thing.
djw.tyler
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of djw.tyler
Does anyone happen to know what is going on with the magic shop in St James' Street in Brighton? I've been past it a couple of times during the day but it always has the closed sign up.
stevephotoman125
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of stevephotoman125
Mine was BBMagic in Leicester, the guy behind the counter was great, helping out a shy schoolkid. I'd go in there and he'd always ask how much I had to spend, demonstrate every trick for me. I googled it and looks like it's still going round the corner from the original shop and now run by his daughter
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
The Magic Shop in Sarasota, Florida, back in the 70's. It only lasted a few years but I spent all of my jr. high years there.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
Magic Center in NYC. Sleazy sleazy part of town. Prolly not the best place for my dad to take a 10 year old.
pjarnold
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of pjarnold
Haines House of Cards and Industrial Strength Magic. Both are/were in Cincinnati.
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2007-11-24 22:37, BIGmagiclV wrote:
Mine was a shop in Hamden, Conn. called the Magic Barn.

For me it was Davenport's, in London.
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2007-11-26 21:41, Lester wrote:
I suppose the first shop that I ever visited that sold tricks, jokes and novelties, as opposed to a purely magic shop was an establishment, the name of which escapes me, in Tottenham Court Road in London. It was during the early sixties when London had a magical buzz all of its own! I have a vague recollection of being served by Pat Page but I might be mistaken.
Ah, the past is another country they do things differently there.

Best Wishes,

Lester

You may be thinking of the magic shop run by Alan Alan.
Wayne Hardy
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hardy
For me it was a online shop called Alakazam I stumbled upon it by a general search and been back a few times. There is one in shefield that I am going to try though.
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
393 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
There were two in downtown Boston in the 70's (three actually, but I didn't know about Hank Lee's at the time. They were both of or Tremont Street, and I am no longer positive, but I think one was called Jack's and I have no idea what the second one was called. I'd take the train up from Gloucester once a month and spend most of the day between the two of them.
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
1948, Kemps Magic shop on San Franscisco street, El Paso, Tx. Then he was drafted and it became Mishel's magic shop. Then I got drafted. When I came back in 1960 everything was gone, the building. Now even the street. Soon I will follow.....
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
My very first magic shop was 'Bill's Joke and Magic Shop' on Bank Street in Ottawa, Ontario in 1960. I purchased my first TT there.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Mine was Snyders in downtown Cleveland. A classic magic shop in every sense of the word...hard to find, dark, dusty, smokey, a complete mess of cluttered and overstuffed shelves...and an absolute joy.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (42 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL