The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Looking to make more money after shows...?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Hey guys,

I wanted to introduce you to a new product that I have produced - something that I am sure most of you are familiar with. I do realize that there are a few other packages out there available, however I feel ours is just as professional, produced with high-quality and most importantly - affordable. We offer quite a lot and I urge you to look at this website if you are interested in making more money after shows - without investing a lot of money or time.

http://www.MAGICIANSDVD.com

Also, I wanted to introduce this at an even lower price than what the website listed - so if you would like to purchase it, please PM me and I will lower the price seen on the site by an extra $50 (only until December 7th - and only for Café members).

PM me if you have questions.

Thanks.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Man, I thought it was cool until I watched the demo! The video quality and lighting are not good by professional standards and the shots are framed weird. Just my opinion, though. I could be way off.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I'm afraid I have to agree with Michael. From the looks of the demo video, it is not professional at all! The shots, costumes, and lighting are not professional. I'm sorry, but for what it is, spending over $200 on this one is not a bargain!
MB, the dvd is great to give out to your teen friends, but please don't market this as a way for magicians to make lots of extra cash at shows. I wouldn't put my name on this product.

Just my thoughts!
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Please also remember that the video you are seeing is also condensed to go on the web - so YES, I understand the quality issue you may have, but I assure you it is done with High Quality.

Not sure what you mean when you say TEEN FRIENDS - I am 25 years old, not a teenager...this video is designed to be sold after shows or given away as gifts to spectators at your shows.

I will be adding a better quality video in the coming days - I just put up a few highlights for people to get an idea of what the video will look like - and how you do not see the magicians face. When we uploaded the video, we made the file size smaller than it actually is, even though it is relatively clear - Like I said, the quality of the video will not be an issue when you have the complete package. We also have multiple angles for certain tricks to make sure that it is fully understood.

I appreciate your thoughts and am open to constructive critism always as I think this something that can really benefit any magician.

Thanks.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
MB,
Great job making it higher quality. I understand the problem of video compression, try contacting someone like magicboxproductions.com, they do a lot of video compression and will be able to help you. I applaude your committment to high quality production. Before I would put my name on anything, I would make sure the sound was top notch, the costumes were top notch, the lighting and angles were correct, the backgrounds were good, etc. I didn't see much of that in your demo video, but maybe you're working on it, or it's just hard to capture on compressed video. Anyway, keep working on it,
best wishes,
Kevin
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I think placing your name on any product that you did not create or had an input in is misleading.
If I see an entertainer that l enjoy and bought his/her dvd and it is not them...... What a rip off it would be!!!

Spend the $10-$20 grand on producing your own product(s) and you could take it much further than back of room sales....
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Hi Wiseone,

Thanks for the advice, I might try contacting them. Like I said, this is something that I am taking seriously and if its something I put my name behind, then I want it to be done right, and I feel its at a point where I would be more than comfortable releasing it. I want to have another video done, something more in depth, that may take a little time, but stay posted for it.

Curtis, I know what you mean but lets face it, not everyone had that kind of dough to sink into a project. With the DVD you get from us, its something that is done right, affordable and professional. Its also personal as it has your picture, contact info etc built right into the DVD menu. We will be adding screenshots of the DVD menu this week so that people can get an idea of what we offer.

Thanks for the input guys.

Take Care.
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Quote:
On 2007-11-25 16:55, _MB_ wrote:
I want to have another video done, something more in depth, that may take a little time, but stay posted for it.

What I meant to say is - I want to have another demo video done for the website - not another video itself, just a better quality teaser for visitors that are curious.

Just thought I would clear that up...lol.

Take care.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
MB -

I agree with Curtis that we shouldn't mislead people and take their money in that manner. Your web site says "Furthermore, you never see our magicians face, which leaves the impression that it's you teaching them these terrific tricks!"

I'd think that my audience would be able to tell the difference between those arms in the video and mine - not to mention the change in voice!

Secondly, regarding video quality - it's not the compression. It's the lighting, the framing of the shot, the background, etc.
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Hi guys,

good discussion - I personally don't see a problem in putting your name on the product that you LIKE and feel will be of value to your clients. as far as having to do it yourself those days are long gone. Look at the market place - you are reading autobiographies and other books that are written by ghost writers all the time without you having ANY idea, technology products including Sony etc. are made on contract basis in "no name factories" and the name is "slapped" on top of it. Don't get me wrong the product should be of good quality, but in the long run it's all about them wanting to learn magic. Friend of mine produced similar video for sale and what he encourages people to do is tell them right off the bat that you produced the video for them (which you did in a way you bought the rights for it so that qualifies), you hired the actors bla bla bla - which again indirectly you did.

As far as the hands and arms if you really want to be picky just use black sleeves and white gloves (one video in UK does that) and you are all set.. just my 2 cents...

Bond James Bond
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Hi Michael,

I know what you are saying regarding misleading people, but bottom line is, not everyone has the money to produce a video that may cost "10k-20k" like Curtis mentions. This is an alternative for people looking to make some extra money after shows. You are selling them a video that teaches tricks not a documentary of yourself, so whomever hands they see, and whomevers voice they hear is not really what they are concerned about - they just wanna learn some cool tricks - which they will. By adding your name and picture, its adds a touch of professionalism and leaves them with your contact information for perhaps future reference etc.

In regards to quality, I assure you that it's a none issue, we have viewed this video on different TV screens (sizes and quality - plasma vs. regular) and also given out test copies to children/families and they loved it! The quality of the picture is very good and the sound quality is also very good.

This is a product for the magician looking to get into the BOR sales without making a huge investment. The video is set to be ready for shipping on December 7th, we are just finishing up some of the finer details of it.

Thanks to everyone for all your input,

Take Care.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2007-11-27 13:10, jamesbond wrote:

as far as having to do it yourself those days are long gone. Look at the market place - you are reading autobiographies and other books that are written by ghost writers all the time without you having ANY idea, technology products including Sony etc. are made on contract basis in "no name factories" and the name is "slapped" on top of it.

But, these people/products have some say in it... A part of them is involved and reflects their ideas and standards.

Quote:
On 2007-11-27 13:19, _MB_ wrote:
This is a product for the magician looking to get into the BOR sales without making a huge investment.

So we should just take peoples money without any concerns of quality and what our clients my think/feel afterwards?
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Quote:

So we should just take peoples money without any concerns of quality and what our clients my think/feel afterwards?

If the video is good and the tricks being taught are good - WHICH THEY ARE...your clients will be happy. Im not saying EVERY MAGICIAN has to have this DVD...if you have the money and the time AND THE RESOURCES, you shouldn't even look at this product as you can do your own, your way and your style and YOUR FACE..lol.. - this is for people who don't have the money, time and resources to do there own. Its not for everybody, but for those who have pondered getting into BOR sales and are looking to make some extra cash off a ONE TIME small investment, this is something that should be considered - simply put.
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Is curtis pushing that poof DVD again........whoops I pushed it for him!

AC
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
OHH thanks Adam! Smile

But that has nothing to do with this subject....

It is about taking a product that one did not have any creative say so in, placing your name on it, and misleading people as it is you "the performer" appearing in the DVD.

Nothing is wrong with BOR sales but.....

MB have you thought about just selling the DVD under a generic title and having magicians sell it as a regular product?
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
There is a Generic option at the bottom of the website for people wishing to do so.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
MB don't get me wrong I think the concept is great just have some issues with it...

Maybe if you have the magician select 8 -1 0 tricks from an option of 20 then they would have a creative say in it...
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
That's not a bad idea for the future. I will keep that one in mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Looking to make more money after shows...?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL